Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 05:54 PM
Banned

Re: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

And what does * * GM imply at the bottom of your screen? You think you're cute? Sure your mother would be proud. You know I realize GM can't sell everyone a car. The competition will always have customers. Ford can have you.
Buickman
Old 05-16-2005, 05:55 PM

Buickman,
are you debating in just this forum or others right now?

and one thing is most of the people that needed the 20 points need to somehow talk about it now..

So guys that have read it..please ask away..the others..lets just grab the popcorn and watch the show..

To me I think he has a point a grassroots level aproach to get GM back on track..he dosnt know all of the answers but GM sells cars and that what he can fix well fix it, and we can get the right people in there to fix the problems with heathcare the UAW and so forth..force them to get the right people..

This might be the American Revolution Gm has been marketing about..

kinda fits huh??
Old 05-16-2005, 05:58 PM

One thing is...

How is GM supposed to gain market share when the market is being flooded with new product. Seems like every day a new model is coming out...all that takes a slice of the pie.

That being said, if GM axes lines because the are repetitious...that is fine. Just don't axe the Grand Prix and think I am gonna buy an Impala...because it is not happening...

I honestly think all of Pontiac's current problems could be fixed by effective styling. Did you know the new front end on the GXP is Kip Wasenko (sp?)'s work? I undestand he is talented and has had good success...but for goodness sake...step away from the clay/computer/napkin and realize what you designed is ugly. In the GXP's case, no change on the front end would have been better than the new one.

On another note, Buick in my mind is very repetitious....how many large boring four door sedans does one division need?

The new Saturn is what Chevy should be, but it's dealers won't let it be....
Old 05-16-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
One thing is...

I honestly think all of Pontiac's current problems could be fixed by effective styling. Did you know the new front end on the GXP is Kip Wasenko (sp?)'s work? I undestand he is talented and has had good success...but for goodness sake...step away from the clay/computer/napkin and realize what you designed is ugly. In the GXP's case, no change on the front end would have been better than the new one.

YES!! plus Rwd
Old 05-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Banned

I'm on other forums as well, but must say this is the most active and outspoken. They're all good and most contributors have the right intentions. There is much to be learned from enthusiasts. Again, headed out the door. Grab that popcorn as suggested.There is going to be some fun here tonite. Great idea for requesting The Plan before jumping in (sent by email request). Let's all get on the same page, speak on an informed and respectful basis and hopefully,no probably, make progress.
Buickman@GeneralWatch.com
Old 05-16-2005, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
Tell Lutz to bring back the T/A, and not **** it up. Make it on the vette Chassis. obviously boy-racer did better than "classy"(gto) keep that **** in mind. and no retro atleast on the T/A

and have either all Metric or all Standard bolts and nuts on a damned car.

Here we go with the unknowing and the unrealistic.

I'm going to hold off for the time being......

Gosh..... where do these people come from?

Originally Posted by TrackMagicWS6
YES!! plus Rwd
Wait.... I know!

He came in from the lounge, didn't he?
Old 05-16-2005, 08:20 PM

I read Buickman's plan, and he asked that I post the following suggestion I sent him....

IMO an area where GM is greatly lacking is in reaching out to younger buyers through the internet. I understand on your side of the Buick fence, you don't see a ton of young buyers, but IMO they will be the lifeblood of GM's future success. I am not sure how much you follow my site, and others like it....but GM has made a big effort to stop websites from posting info on future products before magazines get the info. They have went so far as to send security officers to someones house for posting a Z06 picture on the internet before it's release date.

What GM fails to see, is that the internet, and sites such the this are largly populated with younger buyers....buyers who are dreaming of that new Corvette or GTO...buyers GM NEEDS!

VW has figured this out with the enthusiast website www.vwvortex.com. They have staged product releases on the site, and even offered a special edition of the Golf to members of the site exclusivly.

GM on the other hand continues to ratchet down on it's enthusiast sites, restricting access to even things such as press materials. Enthuisast websites reps are not invited to product intros....hell, you call GM media and the press rep can't wait to get off the phone because they are scared to death of leaking something that will get them in trouble.

All this so that they can get on the cover of a car mag, who will tear the product to shreads anyway because "it's made by GM".
Old 05-16-2005, 08:29 PM

I agree with many points in the Plan. I will say the guy knows a good marketing/sales strategy. But I see it favoring dealerships to much. I have a feeling that in the PUBLIC eye don't enjoy dealerships and couldn't care less if they made any money at all. I would rather see GM get $1000 less profit on every car in order to have have tighter control over dealerships (to avoid a GTO like fiasco).

Example I asked about the HHR about a month ago at a very nice Chevy dealership, the 1st guy was new and hadn't hear about it, you do address this kind of problem very well in the Plan, so he asked another guy who had been there a while and you could tell was a career salesman. He laughed at the name , said it didn't exist, and said it was most likely a new Hummer and not a Chevy (since it had a H in the name). But if you want to put a deposit down on one today I can see what I can find out. At this point my ears were turning red with anger. I said then why did CHEVY release a picture of it 2 years ago! He said well you can put the deposit down but I haven't heard anything.

THIS is why GMs market share is dropping. Product is what people buy and if you don't know product you cannot sell it.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Buickman Here:
To Formula79 The market is flooded. We win share through specific steps targeting the customers, dealers, salespeople, employees, and reitrees. Each group marked for one point of share increase. Customer service and marketing to the rescue. GM needs to axe incompetent managers, not car lines. Right on about styling. People want image, and desire vehicles that express their self-concept. Buick is repetitious. Fault of GM for wasting billions instead of developing new product. How much stronger would Chevy be if money poured into Saturn had been used to improve the Bowtie?

To Cap94zodg This truly is a grass roots effort, always has been. GM needs to understand improvements are clear to those on the ground who deal with reality on a daily basis. Instead they put MBAs without experience, real experience not just years, in charge of running vital aspects of the business. Like DeLorean said,"You don't teach a guy to play football by making him the coach." The American Revolution campaign has an Oriental trigram symbol in place of the E in Revolution. Look at the Korean flag and you'll see what I mean. It's from the I Ching, the ancient book of change. Why? How do we take a Mexicam made motor vehicle, slap a fancy French name on it, Rendezvous, and promote it as the "Spirit of American Style"? That's marketing that Sucks. I refer to myself as Buickman for a number of reasons. It's easier to remember than Jim Dollinger and this really isn't about me. Doing so promotes Buick, which is good. Also, it's cool, don't you think? My cell phone # is 586-914-BUICK (2842).

To PacerX As I said, I sell cars all over the US, many customers outside Michigan. Please don't question things you have no idea about. Would you believe my business is 99% repeat and referral?

To dav305z You can combine the first twenty steps and call them one. In fact, it is the first move. The release has created a buzz and given the effort and The Plan credibility. As to your concerns about step 4, I'll gladly debate specifics with you via email but do not wish to go into detail in a public forum.

To Jason E Don't forget Wagoner began running NA after Lopez bolted. He's been there for more than 10 points of share loss, over 50% reduction in market cap, the closure of Oldsmobile, the Fiat fiasco, the junk ratings, need I say more? And you're not in favor of booting him? Lutz has been good for GM, but he's well past his prime, and it's time to hang it up Bob. The heir apparent should have been well groomed by now.

To 1fastdog Marketing alone won't do it long term, you're correct. But this is a great area for immediate improvement. Nothing beats great product. Trouble is, that takes time and resources. Marketing that works will give us that time and earn us the resources. If i was only interested in money, I could make a fortune helping individual dealers, writing books, and giving presentations. Turned down many an offer. My heart is with GM. Always follow your heart. GM also offers many bad materials to dealers like Red Tags in the middle of winter when the units are covered with snow and ice, stupidity. There have been other, end of the month, whiz-bang blitzes that create hysteria and confusion. The Plan replaces the Madness with consistency and leadership. You're right, many have benefited from what I've done. One fella who used to wait on me at a club I belonged to, last year made over $25,000 selling cars. He earned it all on his own. I only gave him advice and example.

To poSSum I agree, dealers need to "get it". However, instead of the factory jamming programs down their throats, GM should instead provide the training and knowlege instrumental to their retail partner's success.

To guionM Who knows what Wagoner might do? Looking at his track record, almost anything is possible. Don't count on any restraint from his hand picked board either.

To redzed May one day write that book. If I do there will be a chapter about my online experience, particularly this site and the welcome I have received as well as the tough-as-nails approach many of you exhibit. (that's a good thing). It's definitely a learning experience, challenging, and fun. As to my self-help, it's as Joe Girard says "You have to believe you're number one or no one else will".

To TrackMagicWS6 Not sure engaging you in any conversation would be beneficial. You might consider a new attitude and vocabulary.

To PacerX I'm not hiding anything, except from the competition. Ask anyone who has requested the first twenty steps. They have received the info within minutes in most cases. So far, I've not charged GM anything, but have spent tens of thousands of my own money on this cause. If you want to see something coherent, send me your email. The Plan was developed to earn GM market share. If it works, I deserve to be paid. If not, I don't. I'm a capitalist, aren't you? There are no secrets. There is nothing wrong with being paid for a job well done. What exactly do you mean by "fluffy" language? Give me specifics. If I can't defend the words, they're gone. I don't claim to be 100% correct. Find the flaw,s and let's get rid of them. I'm not attempting to establish authority, only credibility. I told you 70% GM and supplier. Obviously CA different. Grew up in NY selling cars. Realize the difference. It's actually tougher here with GM fixing the price. The competition is brutal. Price is set except for trades. I like Sheriff Joe, he's very popular here. Yes, he made some mistakes, haven't you? I did not involve Joe in any ads, but I did change the store's name from Williamson to Patsy Lou, and called our marketing campaign "Patsy Lou Cares About You" They finished Number One USA in Buick sales last year. i have no experience running a large manufacturing corporation, nor do I have any desire to do so. Yes, Flint is a Buick town, tho not quite like it used to be. However, the number of dealers and sales people here make the competition stiff. In Ft. Wayne for example with one Buick franchise, they own the town. Why ask a question you already know the answer to? If you want to play games, go spend time with your kids.

To RoMad Thanks for your suport. It's nice to hear.

To PacerX Glad to see your enthusiasm. I understand you've invested time and energy. You are right saying these efforts by yourself and others are commendable. Why the attitude against my efforts? I've given my adult life to this pursuit and you'd deny me a reward if The Plan works? Are you a jealous person or simply bucking for a GM management position? Apparently you've missed the point about emailing The Plan. Don't bother requesting it without changing your attitude. I'm unsure you're completely capable of rational comrehension.

To z284ever Agreed Pay for Performance the only way to fly.

To guionM One point of share is worth just over $1 Billion to GM's bottom line. I've no interest in obtaining a position with the company, other than as a consultant. My plate is full. Please explailn where you see bragging, so I can make a retraction (and apology).

To RoMaD I'll never give up the fight to improve GM. It's in my DNA. Even if I never see one nickle, I'll continue.

To poSSum Like your thoughts. Please email me your viewpoints on specifics and we can discuss in detail.

To PacerX You may not realize it but there is nothing wrong with the profit motive.

To 5thGen Never say never. Too bad you've not had the experience of a professional salesman. Call me next time you're in the market. As to who should replace Wagoner, there are candidates who are qualified. I'd rather not mention their names at this point so as to not jeopardize their standing with The Boss.
Buickman

Last edited by Buickman; 05-17-2005 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Banned

Sorry I was late in posting tonite. You folks must all be in bed by now. Sleep well.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 AM

In over 6 years as a member of CamaroZ28.Com, never has their been a time like now when I think some GM execs are reading the board. (or communicating with those who frequent it) lol, One just has to wonder who is reading and what they get from us. If anything.

Buickman, thanks for the quick reply, I will read it tomorrow and reply accordingly if anything comes to mind. Im just a youngster who has been in small business (mostly sales) for a few years. However i've been around it since I was 11. lol So dont take anything too seriously.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Buickman
Buickman Here:
To Formula79 ...

Man some white space would make your writings so much easier to read!
Old 05-17-2005, 03:00 AM
Banned

Right, done.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Buickman
Right, done.
LOL, don't take all of the criticisms on this board too seriously. I find this forum to be more informative than any other but also more agressive.

If anything, the fact that your being attacked is a sign of acceptance, as all the "insiders" on this board are regularly picked to near death when they offer any info.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Banned

Thanks for the advice. Guess I'm getting hit from so many directions, I may have overeacted perhaps. Nobody's fault but mine, I asked for it. OK today's a new day. Please don't let up.

Quick Reply: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.