Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 10:37 PM

Re: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.

this is the only thread this long involving GM that ive ever read the whole way thru.

buickman appears to have some good ideas.weather its enough to bring GM back is hard to determine.

lots of views here that make sense i dont know what to think.but thats good.

very informed responses.good work people!
Old 05-29-2005, 11:23 PM

thx for the info.ill go over it when im more awake.

anyone else feel GMs new car warranty should be better?they all should be but GM should show its industry leadership by doing it first with a better bumper to bumper warranty.this would show confidence in what theyre selling and give a better perception about GM products.

i know GM and its dealers makes a ton from extended warranties but itll give them incentives to make better vehicles.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:29 PM
Banned

An excellent point for discussion and very perceptive of you. It's included in the other, yet to be revealed, text of The Plan.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Buickman
Rendezvous FWD CX over Pilot LX AT
$800 less base price
19 vs 17 city
26 vs 22 hwy
wheelbase 112.2 vs 106.3
curb weight 4096 vs 4414
cargo vol 54.5 vs 16.3
traction opt vs N/A
daytime running lights std vs N/A
foglamps std vs opt
auto level opt vs N/A
twilight sentinel std vs. N/A
multi adj power seats opt vs N/A
mem seat opt vs N/A
heated seats opt vs N/A
leather opt vs N/A
leather steering std vs N/A
mem mirrors opt vs N/A
power sunroof opt vs N/A
rust warranty 72 vs 60

Most importantly, the Buick is a much better looking vehicle.
I will just say that Which is better is subjective. In the end the Honda people won't consider a GM car anyways. If they haven't had any problems with their old Honda they will stick with it.

A co worker just bought a new loaded civic. Why you may ask? Because she has had NO problems outta her 14 yr old Civic and she liked the new ones so she went and bought it. I told her she could probably get a Malibu or a bigger car that is just as good as the Civic if she went to GM but she hadn't had any problems with her car and went to the nearest dealership gave them a build sheet from Honda's website, showed them the most paid price from Edmunds and got everything she wanted no problems.

That is Customer loyalty, Honda did a good job of providing it and they got a customer for life. That is what GM MUST do.

It is NOT about marketing, it is NOT about selling. It is ALL about the product!
Old 05-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Banned

Loyalty is a good thing. Unfortunately GM treated customers and dealers so poorly over the years that they left in large numbers. Dealers who felt unappreciated, or weakened, began carrying other brands. We can however regain share through the implementation of consistent, attractive, effective marketing. Some will never leave their beloved Hondas, etc...Yet we can win by attacking opportunities in the marketplace (ie dealer service) and thereby welcome back many who left and earn the business of those who are entering their auto purchasing careers.
In the long term, product is what wins. In the near term, marketing is the solution to the problem of stemming, and reversing, market share loss. I also contend that our products today are competitive.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:47 AM

Loyalty is a good thing. Unfortunately GM treated customers and dealers so poorly over the years that they left in large numbers. Dealers who felt unappreciated, or weakened, began carrying other brands. We can however regain share through the implementation of consistent, attractive, effective marketing. Some will never leave their beloved Hondas, etc...Yet we can win by attacking opportunities in the marketplace (ie dealer service) and thereby welcome back many who left and earn the business of those who are entering their auto purchasing careers.
In the long term, product is what wins. In the near term, marketing is the solution to the problem of stemming, and reversing, market share loss. I also contend that our products today are competitive.
I need you to understand what I am saying. As you have said yourself GM has gotten themselves into to many binds over the years by looking only at the short term. We need to look at the long term even if it sacrafices the short term.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Banned

Let's imagine you owned GM. You're losing share and money. Your top salesman of many years walks in with a well researched plan to turn sales around. There is no cost involved. In fact, The Plan calls for expense reduction. Now this fella has proven himself successful in the extreme everywhere he has gone. Do you shut the door, or listen? Where's the risk? Now if you're an insulated, self-serving, egotistical, incompetent excuse for an executive, you say no thanks, and no comment. Wonder why they keep losing?????
Old 05-30-2005, 09:09 AM

Let's imagine you owned GM. You're losing share and money. Your top salesman of many years walks in with a well researched plan to turn sales around. There is no cost involved. In fact, The Plan calls for expense reduction. Now this fella has proven himself successful in the extreme everywhere he has gone. Do you shut the door, or listen? Where's the risk? Now if you're an insulated, self-serving, egotistical, incompetent excuse for an executive, you say no thanks, and no comment. Wonder why they keep losing?????
Who is to say that I, the exective, haven't had a team of people working on a proposal for the board for the last 3 months who have better researched, more realistic, better ideas for the company? Seriously if you think GM is sitting around with their thumbs up their butts waiting for you to come in and save the company then you are dead WRONG.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 AM

it would make sense if GM is having trouble selling vehicles to possibly talk to their best sales people.

seeking advice from people that are in contact with customers on a daily basis is an obvious place to start.

everything starts at dealers so addressing that makes sense.

GM absolutely needs to close its gap with its dealers and hold them more responsible but also commend them if theyre getting a high satisfaction rate.

GMs quality is right up there and this needs to be advertised more.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Banned

91z284me,
Be realistic. Look at their track record, then look at mine. They've lost market share consistently over twenty years. The stock market cap has dropped from $66B in 2000 to $$48B in 2001 to $25B in 2004 nad now is only $15B. Credit is junk, Buick has been starved, Olds is gone, and you think they have a clue? Meanwhile, using the same products, I have retailed in excess of 13,000 individual units and led the entire country 6 times. In 2004, through effective marketing, my team increased new unit deliveries at Suski by 52%. Who's kidding who?
Buickman

Last edited by Buickman; 05-30-2005 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:30 AM

how does GM reward its top sellers and dealers?
Old 05-30-2005, 09:43 AM
Banned

There is a pogram called SFE (standards for excellence) which rewards dealer achievement financially for increases in deliveries and saitsfaction. Beyond that, dealers and salespeople can earn trips (very nice ones) for rising to the top. I'll forward a copy of the first twenty steps of A Return To Greatness to you. Contained therein are ideas including modifications to the reward program.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:49 AM

youve sent them to me already.i just havent gone around to reading them yet.

ill stop asking questions until i read it.
Old 05-30-2005, 10:03 AM
Banned

Please remember the request to limit specific discussion to email and engage in general conversation here.
Buickman@GeneralWatch.com
Old 05-30-2005, 10:14 AM

91z284me,
Be realistic. Look at their track record, then look at mine. They've lost market share consistently over twenty years. The stock market cap has dropped from $66B in 2000 to $$48B in 2001 to $25B in 2004 nad now is only $15B. Credit is junk, Buick has been starved, Olds is gone, and you think they have a clue? Meanwhile, using the same products, I have retailed in excess of 13,000 individual units and led the entire country 6 times. In 2004, through effective marketing, my team increased new unit deliveries at Suski by 52%. Who's kidding who?
Buickman
Your letting your own "ego" get ahead of yourself. I am a salesman just as you in the Hydraulic world and quite accomplished myself. I have a BSME and working on a MBA. Although, just because I have a "polished" sales record in no way means that I could tell my company how to do business or even pretend too.

You and I are salesmen plain and simple. If you want to make a difference apply for a management position in the internal structure of GM and work your way up if you feel you are qualified. Until you do that, you are a salesman - quite accomplished - but in the end; just as I still a salesman.

You have good intentions, but your letting your own ego blind you of the "complete picture" and that my friend is where the problem lies.

Quick Reply: Buickman will call for Wagoner's ouster at shareholder's meeting.