Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick ties Lexus for No. 1 in car reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Threxx
This actually made me go out and check out the selection of 2004 model buicks on ebay motors honestly with the intention of finding a decent used daily driver... but then I remembered what Buick lacks. Anything anyone remotely close to my age range would agree to drive for anything more than free.
i'd totally sport a Regal GS.. in black please
Old 08-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Kudos to Buick I've known people working for that brand and I tell they have teh right formula in place but just need some more exciting vehicles.. Enclave will help.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
The 3800 is a great engine, and the 4L60, 4L60E and 3T40 (older FWD models) have been around in some form for decades.
4L60 and 4L60E are the rear-wheel-drive variants. You mean the 4T60 and 4T60E (not to mention the 4T65E).
Old 08-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by ProudPony
And the Camry, Corolla, Highlander, and others were really futuristic vehicles.
I thought we were comparing to Lexus? i.e. ES330, GS300, etc. How many OHV engines with 4-speed trannies did Lexus sell in 2004?
Old 08-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer
I thought we were comparing to Lexus? i.e. ES330, GS300, etc. How many OHV engines with 4-speed trannies did Lexus sell in 2004?
The number of transmission ratios and the location/orientation of the cam and valves has very little to do with how "futuristic" a car is. The first OHC engine was in a 1912 Fiat.

GM has been building 5-speed automatic transmissions since about 2001. They received a hefty chunk of money from BMW in exchange for not using it in any of their cars for three years. Lexus beat them to the punch by installing their 5-speed in the LS and GS in 1995 and 96, respectively, but whether the technology is six years old or twelve, it's hard to call it "futuristic".

On a semi-related note, the OHV engine was invented by none other than David Dunbar Buick.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
The number of transmission ratios and the location/orientation of the cam and valves has very little to do with how "futuristic" a car is. The first OHC engine was in a 1912 Fiat.

GM has been building 5-speed automatic transmissions since about 2001. They received a hefty chunk of money from BMW in exchange for not using it in any of their cars for three years. Lexus beat them to the punch by installing their 5-speed in the LS and GS in 1995 and 96, respectively, but whether the technology is six years old or twelve, it's hard to call it "futuristic".

On a semi-related note, the OHV engine was invented by none other than David Dunbar Buick.
Somebody has been googling / wiki-ing.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM

This is great -- and about time. Now just keep up the quality when you make the G8 :-)
Old 08-10-2007, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Threxx
Somebody has been googling / wiki-ing.
Yup.

I knew that Buick invented the OHV engine, that OHC had been around for a long-*** time, and that GM had been building 5-speed autos for just about as long as anyone else, but I googled for the details.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:36 AM

Good grief, how can I make this explaination any more simple: I was merely suggesting, since Buick drivetrains were less mechanically complex, that said drivetrains should be easier to make more reliable, hence the higher ratings. I was not deriding Buick at all, just noting what I thought should be obvious. I swear, some people just live to argue.

Last edited by routesixtysixer; 08-11-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Good grief, how can I make this explaination any more simple: I was merely suggesting, since Buick drivetrains were less mechanically complex, that said drivetrains should be easier to make more reliable, hence the higher ratings.
You didn't say that; how should I know that's what you meant? What you said implied that GM's engines and transmissions were technologically behind.

I don't think that mechanical complexity in this case really affects reliability. As I noted earlier, OHV and OHC engines have both been around ~100 years. Anyone building engines of either type really has no excuse for reliability problems related to that particular design choice.

4- and 5-speed electronically-controlled automatic transmissions work in much the same way. Outside of cost and space constraints, there's really no reason that either company couldn't build a reliable automatic transmission with 20 ratios.

I swear, some people just live to argue.
Yup.

I'm not the only one here, either. If you don't like it, be more careful to say what you mean.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:53 PM

What you said implied that GM's engines and transmissions were technologically behind.
Yeah, but in this particular case, the 3800 and the 4 speed trannies unquestionably are technologically behind.

It seems like you're making a theoretical argument, but it seems obvious here that Buick has used a lot of "old reliable" stuff and traditionally shied away from GM's higher-tech parts.

Last edited by flowmotion; 08-11-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by flowmotion
Yeah, but in this particular case, the 3800 and the 4 speed trannies unquestionably are technologically behind.
But does that really matter? If a company makes a powertrain that will keep up w/ a competitor in performance and economy does it matter if it is OHV or OHC? 5 speed auto or 4 speed auto? if it has been around 1 year or 100 years?

What matters is the end result and the 3800 4 speed combo was competitive in EVERY measure except higher RPM NHV.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
What matters is the end result and the 3800 4 speed combo was competitive in EVERY measure except higher RPM NHV.
The 200HP 3800 is competitive with the 260HP engine in the toyota avalon? Not even Buick thinks so, which is why the 3800 is only offered in base models nowdays with more powerful OHC engine available.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Unquestionably? I'm right here questioning it. Go ahead, tell me how a Lexus 5-speed transmission is more technologically advanced than the 4L60E.

You want technologically-advanced transmissions? How about Volkswagen's DSG? Ferrari F1? I'm sorry, but a Lexus 5-speed (or even 8-speed) isn't the least bit significant from a technological standpoint.

The 200HP 3800 is competitive with the 260HP engine in the toyota avalon? Not even Buick thinks so, which is why the 3800 is only offered in base models nowdays with more powerful OHC engine available.
Competitive? Who said anything about competitive? We're talking about technological advancement, and about how "futuristic" these vehicles and their components are.

No, of course a 200hp engine doesn't stack up well against a 263hp engine, regardless of valvetrain layout. Regardless, it doesn't mean the 3800 is low-tech. In case you hadn't noticed, GM sells a 260hp version of the 3800 in certain other vehicles. (Yes, it's supercharged. What's the matter, too futuristic for you?)
Old 08-12-2007, 12:01 AM

I don't think that mechanical complexity in this case really affects reliability. As I noted earlier, OHV and OHC engines have both been around ~100 years. Anyone building engines of either type really has no excuse for reliability problems related to that particular design choice.
To be perfectly pedantic I don't agree. Engines with cam belts are like ticking time bombs... if you fail to change the belt you will ruin your engine (interference engines). The good old fashioned timing chain on an OHV is shorter and less prone to stretch. While on DOHCs, particularly those with chains, are likely to stretch over time, thus stepping out the timing.

As for transmissions, some transmissions are more advanced mainly in their software calibration... especially if the transmission's PCM talks to the engine's PCM. Of course some transmissions don't have PCMs in which case they might behave more agriculturally. Some 'less advanced' transmissions may not run sensors on the output shaft... which could make a mechanically perfect transmission seem like a low quality unit. GM have been guilty of such omissions in the past.

Quick Reply: Buick ties Lexus for No. 1 in car reliability