CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/)
-   -   Buick ties Lexus for No. 1 in car reliability (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/automotive-news-industry-future-vehicle-discussion-13/buick-ties-lexus-no-1-car-reliability-536857/)

Doug Harden 08-09-2007 06:40 AM

Buick ties Lexus for No. 1 in car reliability

Well alrighty then.......

Buick ties Lexus for No. 1 in car reliability
Survey finds Detroit brands making headway against Japanese competitors.
August 9 2007: 3:56 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- For the first time in 12 years, Toyota's Lexus luxury brand has to share its top rank in J.D. Power and Associates' annual Vehicle Dependability Study.

And it has to share it with an American car.

General Motors' Buick brand tied Lexus in the study, which measures the number of problems owners experience with their cars after three years of ownership.

Following Lexus and Buick in the rankings were GM's Cadillac luxury brand,
Ford's Mercury brand and Honda's Honda brand.

Toyota's mass-market Toyota brand ranked sixth.

"Consumers don't neccessarily need to pay premium prices to obtain high quality and dependability," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis for J.D. Power and Associates.

"With three non-premium nameplates - Buick, Honda and Mercury - ranking within the top five," he said, "and particularly with Buick tying with Lexus for the top rank, consumers seeking a vehicle with strong dependability have good choices at various price levels."

J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 53,000 original owners of 2004 model year vehicles.

Owners of the top-ranked Lexus and Buick vehicles experienced 145 problems per 100 vehicles. Owners of second-ranked Cadillac vehicles experienced 162 problems per 100 vehicles.

The lowest-ranking brand was Land Rover, Ford's European luxury SUV brand. Land Rover owners experienced 398 problems per 100 vehicles, according to the survey.

J.D. Power and Associates also ranked specific vehicles within their respective categories. The top-ranked sub-compact car, for example, was the Scion xA from Toyota's youth-oriented Scion brand.

The top-ranked compact car was the Honda Civic and the top-ranked "Sporty car" was the Mazda Miata.

The Chevrolet SSR, a low-slung convertible pickup, and the Ford Mustang tied as the most depenible midsize sporty cars, and the Ford Crown Victoria ranked as the most dependable large car.

Lexus vehicles topped five categories, more than any other brand. Lexus had the top-ranked premium SUV, large premium SUV, premium sporty car, large premium car and midsize premium car. Toyota's Toyota brand topped four categories.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/08/auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes

3TAS4ME 08-09-2007 06:55 AM

This is a good start, however, getting the public to not only know this but believe it will be the biggest hurdle.

JakeRobb 08-09-2007 07:07 AM

That's cool. :)

OutsiderIROC-Z 08-09-2007 08:20 AM

Good news

skorpion317 08-09-2007 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by 3TAS4ME (Post 4792700)
This is a good start, however, getting the public to not only know this but believe it will be the biggest hurdle.

The more stories that come out like this, the more the public's perception will change.

Silverado C-10 08-09-2007 09:19 AM

And this is after 3 years.... not "initial" quality which many "toyota faithful" dismiss as BS because Toyota is all about the "long term" :lol:

FS3800 08-09-2007 09:20 AM

so this is 2004 or 2005 MY vehicles?

Silverado C-10 08-09-2007 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by FS3800 (Post 4792878)
so this is 2004 or 2005 MY vehicles?

From the article

J.D. Power Vehicle Dependability Study is based on responses from more than 53,000 original owners of 2004 model year vehicles.
:D

HAZ-Matt 08-09-2007 10:36 AM

So if Buick is not a premium brand, what kind of brand is it supposed to be exactly? Who is their direct competitor?

centric 08-09-2007 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Silverado C-10 (Post 4792877)
And this is after 3 years.... not "initial" quality which many "toyota faithful" dismiss as BS because Toyota is all about the "long term" :lol:

Doesn't matter--Toyota nuthuggers will say "well, people who buy Buicks are almost dead anyway, of course they aren't even going to NOTICE any problems."

And then they'll go on to talk about things like, "I've had my Toyota for like ten billion years and 1.7 trillion miles and it's never had a problem, I mean, seriously, like I've never even replaced the tires or changed the oil, because this car is made by people with magical powers who love me, unlike the terrible, terrible worthless excuses for human beings who sold me my Vega in 1972 and I know would rape my family and pee on my front lawn if I gave them a chance."

Seriously, though, good news--especially as it comes from model years well before the current changes at GM had much effect.

flowmotion 08-09-2007 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by centric (Post 4793017)
Doesn't matter--Toyota nuthuggers will say "well, people who buy Buicks are almost dead anyway, of course they aren't even going to NOTICE any problems."

Well, that's somewhat valid. What good is great quality if nobody outside of the retirement subdivision knows about it?

These cars come off the same line as other GM products, why limit the good-stuff to Buick?

JakeRobb 08-09-2007 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt (Post 4793009)
So if Buick is not a premium brand, what kind of brand is it supposed to be exactly? Who is their direct competitor?

I think that the market considers Buick's direct competition to be nameplates like Mercury and Chrysler. Not luxury brands, but upmarket when compared to the bread-and-butter brands like Ford and Chevrolet.

Originally Posted by flowmotion (Post 4793102)
These cars come off the same line as other GM products, why limit the good-stuff to Buick?

This got me thinking, and now I'm wondering if this result isn't a side effect of the fact that the stereotypical Buick buyer is old, and that the stereotypical old person accelerates slowly, brakes softly, takes corners slowly, etc. They don't put much stress on the car, so nothing breaks.

Just a thought.

routesixtysixer 08-09-2007 01:09 PM

I like hearing this stuff, too. Of course, you might want to take a gander at what Buick was offering in 2004: Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Rainier, Rendezvous... not exactly a technologically cutting-edge line-up. In fact, they are all old, established models that had plenty of time to work out any problems/kinks. Pretty much the epitome of KISS. Not that that's a bad thing...

ProudPony 08-09-2007 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb (Post 4793260)
... the stereotypical Buick buyer is old, and that the stereotypical old person accelerates slowly, brakes softly, takes corners slowly, etc. They don't put much stress on the car, so nothing breaks.

Tell that to Tiger Woods. :cool:

ProudPony 08-09-2007 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by routesixtysixer (Post 4793362)
I like hearing this stuff, too. Of course, you might want to take a gander at what Buick was offering in 2004: Century, Regal, LeSabre, Park Avenue, Rainier, Rendezvous... not exactly a technologically cutting-edge line-up. In fact, they are all old, established models that had plenty of time to work out any problems/kinks. Pretty much the epitome of KISS. Not that that's a bad thing...

And the Camry, Corolla, Highlander, and others were really futuristic vehicles. :confused: