Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Buick adopts new advertising tag line

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 PM

Buick adopts new advertising tag line

DETROIT -- Buick will launch a new advertising tag line Monday: “The new class of world class.”

Bob Lutz, General Motor Co.’s vice chairman for marketing, revealed the new line to Automotive News at a media event here today. The tag line will be used in new advertising for the Buick LaCrosse sedan.

The current tag line, “Take a look at me now,” was first used in June.

After he took over GM’s advertising and marketing in July, Lutz set out to rework Buick advertising. He said he wanted commercials that properly project the design and features of the brand’s new products.

Buick’s lead ad agency, Leo Burnett, did the new spots for the LaCrosse. A batch of Buick commercials that Lutz rejected had been outsourced to the firm of Gary Topolewski, a former Burnett creative director.

Lutz calls the new Buick advertising “aggressive stuff.”

Meanwhile, GM has launched a billboard campaign in Los Angeles for the LaCrosse that pokes fun at Lexus.

The series of billboards, with a photo of the LaCrosse, say: “Another thing for Lexus to relentlessly pursue,” “EX your Lexus” and “Goodbye, road rage. Hello, road envy.”
Link
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 AM

I think that tag line is better suited for Cadillac.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by El Duce
I think that tag line is better suited for Cadillac.
Have you seen the new Buicks lately? IMHO Cadillacs are starting to look tired next to them.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:21 AM

Ressurected from the grave...
Old 03-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
Ressurected from the grave...
by somebody trying to sell something no less....
Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Have you seen the new Buicks lately? IMHO Cadillacs are starting to look tired next to them.
I didn't say if it made sense given the quality of product or not. Few tag lines actually have anything to do with the product they're selling. It just seems that a line like that would be better geared for Cadillac. So what's Cadillac's going be is Buick is supposed to be the standard of "world class?"

Cadillac . . . The New Class of THE UNIVERSE!
Old 03-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 95redLT1
Another thing for Lexus to relentlessly pursue
I love this -- I just wish they hadn't split the infinitive. It should say "Another thing for Lexus to pursue relentlessly," or better yet, "Another target for Lexus's relentless pursuit."
Old 03-18-2010, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I love this -- I just wish they hadn't split the infinitive. It should say "Another thing for Lexus to pursue relentlessly," or better yet, "Another target for Lexus's relentless pursuit."
You break out a grammar term like infinitive, but then you slap a "s" on Lexus'.

C'MON!
Old 03-18-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gerardo01
Advertising plays a key role in the success or failure of a product. Cars need a lot of advertising as there are many companies offering different models and makes of cars. There are thousands of cars being sold every day throughout the world. Advertising helps the company to get market share in a particular sector.
Thanks Captain Obvious.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:24 PM

I still have NO idea where Buick is going. The only OLD part about Buick these days is the advertising. Silver cars with blah chrome pictured on overcast silver days. Blah, makes me want to go jump off the roof of a retirement home.

Quite frankly the new Lacrosse is sexy as hell and is wood-inspiring in aggressive colors. If Buick doesn't want to flaunt its sexy new car, fine, but I think there are a zillion other ways to capture it's "high class" aim rather than trying to coordinate everything with grandma's sterling silver candy dish on a white marble table.

People in their mid and upper 50's and even early 60's aren't boring and old these days. They're horny bastards and clawing cougars, they go to the gym with people 40 years younger than them, and they know how to have a great time. People in this demographic are generally established and know how to have fun in some of the most bastardly ways involving money, quality events, and and wit. That's absolutely lost on this advertising scheme.
Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 97QuasarBlue3.8
I still have NO idea where Buick is going. The only OLD part about Buick these days is the advertising. Silver cars with blah chrome pictured on overcast silver days. Blah, makes me want to go jump off the roof of a retirement home.

Quite frankly the new Lacrosse is sexy as hell and is wood-inspiring in aggressive colors. If Buick doesn't want to flaunt its sexy new car, fine, but I think there are a zillion other ways to capture it's "high class" aim rather than trying to coordinate everything with grandma's sterling silver candy dish on a white marble table.

People in their mid and upper 50's and even early 60's aren't boring and old these days. They're horny bastards and clawing cougars, they go to the gym with people 40 years younger than them, and they know how to have a great time. People in this demographic are generally established and know how to have fun in some of the most bastardly ways involving money, quality events, and and wit. That's absolutely lost on this advertising scheme.
Never thought of it that way , but you make some really good points .