Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

To break things up a bit, Would this make a good Crown Vic replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:50 AM

To break things up a bit, Would this make a good Crown Vic replacement?

Came across this new Australian Ford Fairlane. Wadda ya think?

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...ry2/NT01AE7B1E
Old 03-06-2003, 09:06 AM

Actually, it looks like you could just slap a Crown Victoria name plate on it, and you'd be good to go...
Old 03-06-2003, 01:12 PM

Thumbs up Not too shabby !

Now, does it come with a donut holder for the cops ???

Britt
Old 03-06-2003, 02:40 PM

That is one sharp looking car. I hope the new Vic looks half as good as that, and doesn't look anything like the Ford 427 Concept.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:17 PM

Not too shabby for a large car. I would want the grille in body color though.

-Mike
Old 03-06-2003, 05:04 PM

It doesn't look like a Ford (at least, a US or European one).

There are a couple of simple options I can think of:

Rebody the car and keep the same platform. The heavy-duty body on frame construction is very good for a police car or taxi cab. It's paid for and would keep the price down. Spend the rest on a great powertrain.

Adopt the Mustang/LS chassis for another iteration. This would probably be a smaller, more advanced, more expensive car. I think at one time (before the economy took a dump) they had plans to do something like this.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:22 PM

nice car but i hope they keep the full frame.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WERM
It doesn't look like a Ford (at least, a US or European one).

There are a couple of simple options I can think of:

Rebody the car and keep the same platform. The heavy-duty body on frame construction is very good for a police car or taxi cab. It's paid for and would keep the price down. Spend the rest on a great powertrain.

Adopt the Mustang/LS chassis for another iteration. This would probably be a smaller, more advanced, more expensive car. I think at one time (before the economy took a dump) they had plans to do something like this.
Good thinking, but I don't see the point of offering a RWD sedan that would be in the same size/price class as the FWD 500/Montego. My suggestion would be to use the Mustang chassis, a less expensive version of DEW 98, for the Lincoln LS replacement. Make the LS cheaper, around the pricepoint of a BMW 325i, but make it a V8 only model. Ford made a mistake in shackling the LS and the Jaguar S-Type together. Let Jaguar go its own way.

The Crown Vic is a unique product, and it would be a shame to lose it. It really isn't a bad car "as is," but it deserves alot more torque, style, space and image.

1. Make the new 300hp 24v 5.4 liter V8 the standard engine in a next-generation full sized Ford. Keep a weaker 4.6 liter for the taxi fleets, but don't afflict the retail customers with it.

2. Completely rebody the car in the style of the 2003 Ford 427 concept.

3. Keep the basic body-on-frame architecture, but give the car the 6-inch wheelbase stretch the taxi model currently has. Then reduce overall length by cutting the overly large overhangs.

4. Ditch all of the Panther platform names! Call the Crown Vic the "Interceptor," make all Grand Marquis models Marauders, and nix the frumpy Town Car badge for a return to "Continental."