Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

BMW Z4: styling breakdown

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 01:37 AM

BMW Z4: styling breakdown

Most of this month's car magazines have the new Z4 featured in them, and it had me thinking. This car is generating lots of buzz for its risque styling. But this car is more significant because it is the first retro car to be restyled. Granted the Z3 didn't exactly copy a classic like the New Beetle, Mini Cooper, or T-bird. The Z3 just borrowed ques of classic roadsters. The end result for the Z3 (IMHO) was a stylish good looking car that was somewhat "cutesy" (ie. feminine).

As for the Z4, in my honest opinion, its a much improved design. It maintains its style but achieves it with more masculinity. I will admit the sides are somewhat busy, but its still a refreshing new design stance that BMW has taken.

I was just curious as to what other people thought of this car.

Check it out here: side
rear
front
Old 12-12-2002, 05:07 AM
Banned

The Z4 is a dramatic improvement in design over the Z3. The original Z3 had a really peculiar rear-treatment. BMW fixed it when they freshened the model, but overall, the Z4 looks more substantial. It is actually a relief to see a car with a few edges added to the soft, aerodynamic look Look out for the upcoming Z5 coupe - that one will be a real scorcher.

At $34,0000, the Z4 2.5 is a really interesting alternative to a Honda S2000 or a loaded Miata. This car has it all, great gearchange, excellent engine, and exceptional handling. Best of all, it's made in the U.S.

I hope Pontiac gets the Solstice right, especially in terms of pricing. If they're planning on crowding the $30k mark, they'd better think again.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:39 AM

Z4 seems over done to me. Like the design guys didn't know when to put the pencil down.... I like character lines as much as anyone, but there are a few too many folds there, IMO...
Old 12-12-2002, 11:20 AM

And with 3.0 engine, it does 14.2 second quarter miles.
Old 12-12-2002, 11:42 AM

The Z4 is a hideous amalgamation of peculiar shapes that don't work well together. Period.

Even the magazines (which usually love BMW) are tippy-toeing around the styling issues with this car, saying it "looks better in person." I've seen several in person, and they are still absolute crap.

In a few years, they'll be comparing this car to the Aztek and Murano as some of the worst styling of the 21st century.

The Z3 was no prize, either.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:06 PM

I really like it. Seeings as other roadsters relatively look the same to me, this is a really great change in things. Its not boring, it is a tad overdone, but wth, at least it doesn't look like anything out on the road right now.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:42 PM

Well at least the Z4 stayed true the the Z3 and remained hideous. I can only hope the Z4 hard top will be as ugly as the Z3 hard top and still make me want to carry a trash can around to vomit in when I see it.

Oh yea, it looks like its crying.
Old 12-12-2002, 01:51 PM

We Aztek owners would like to thank BMW (Z4) and Honda (Element) for taking the title of "Ugliest Vehicle on the Road" from our machines.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:34 PM

I totally agree with all you comments Sixer-Bird, right on

Sorry Aztek is still ugly, along with that Rendevous

If you want to the BMW Z4 in action-- check out BMW films.com
they are on Kaaza too! Cool stuff
Old 12-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Prominent Member

Cool Much better......

....indeed a good revision.

The only thing I don't get though.....what is the diagonal body line on the front fender for?? It seems to be one line too many for me.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:21 PM

I think it looks badass, myself.

You can't really compare this to the Aztek, the world unanimously thinks the Aztek is ugly. I think the Aztek was Zarella's parting "f you" to GM.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by centric
The Z4 is a hideous amalgamation of peculiar shapes that don't work well together. Period.

LOL My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:49 PM

Originally posted by MunchE
I think the Aztek was Zarella's parting "f you" to GM.
LOL actually that's a pretty interesting theory! As far as the Z4 goes, I don't think it's THAT ugly although I can't see what purpose all those lines in the sides are for. Looks like someone came along and put a bunch of slashes in the clay model with their knife and everyone else decided it looked good.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:55 PM

the back reminds me of a japanese car for some reason....

the front looks like they were arguing over the the final design and ended up something that was acceptable.

then somone came along and took a chunk out of the side to try to make it a little meaner or something.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:18 PM

I wasn't really nuts about the Z3 and the same goes for the Z4.

Xed sed, "They didn't know when to put the pencil down."

I agree.

Jeff

Quick Reply: BMW Z4: styling breakdown