Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Best Intro Luxury car for ~$35,000, Regal GS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:24 PM

Re: Best Intro Luxury car for ~$35,000, Regal GS?

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Actually, I think you meant G25. The G35 was the predecessor of the G37. The G25 is the new, smaller engined entry-level G.
Sorry. You're right. I went to their website and my old tired eyes misread it. (It doesn't help that they group G25 and G37 into one page "G Sedan".)
Old 01-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
Yeah you're crazy. Still only a gussied up Fusion. At least something like the FWD GS had alot of work done as far as driving dynamics.

While I don't expect the MKZ to be tuned as sportily as the GS version of the Regal, dismissing it as a "gussied up Fusion" is rather silly, IMO.

Might as well call the Regal a "gussied up Malibu".
Old 01-18-2012, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C
But the Regal came out first
Old 01-18-2012, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 96_Camaro_B4C

While I don't expect the MKZ to be tuned as sportily as the GS version of the Regal, dismissing it as a "gussied up Fusion" is rather silly, IMO.

My comment was purely from a performance stand point. They MKZ obviously offers more in other categories compared to the Fusion.

That was based on the current Fusion though. The next Fusion might be something else worth while to look at.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by smooth3d
I may be crazy but how about the new 2013 Lincoln mkz coming later this year?
Lincoln is making some nice cars lately. I saw a new MKS on the road a few days back and it is really sexy. The days of the beat up towncars and continentals are long gone. However, I want to stick to GM because of my card points but other incentives like owner loyalty.

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
What about a 2LT Camaro Coupe or Vert? Heated seats and all kinds of goodies standard.

-Geoff
Love the exterior look of the Camaro. I do not like the interior at all. It's a great car, but it's not an entry level luxury vehicle. The Regal's interior is so much more plush and feature rich.

Originally Posted by 92RS shearn
As another suggestion what about the Taurus SHO? MSRP is closer to $40k, I imagine you could get a very lightly used one from close to $35k.
I think the GS is a nice car but you may be a bit disappointed going from an LS2 to a turbo 4.
Some of the reasons I mentioned apply to Ford as well. I will lose some significant incentives. I like the SHO, but it looks a bit too much like a family sedan instead of a sports sedan. It has a high belt line or something that makes it look huge to me. I don't want to buy used either. You make a good point about going from an LS2 with 400 HP to a turbo 4 with 270 in a car that essentially weighs the same. I know I will miss the power after a year. It's frustrating!

Originally Posted by jg95z28
No I meant G35. It starts under $35k. The G37 (bigger engine) is a few thousand more.

For me, I'd go with a used CTS.
Yeah, I knew they stopped making the G35 so I was a bit confused.

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Actually, I think you meant G25. The G35 was the predecessor of the G37. The G25 is the new, smaller engined entry-level G.
I just checked it out briefly. It is a nice car, but it has a big drop in power compared to the GS and the interior is not as plush as far as I can tell. I wouldn't be able to use my incentives either. The fact that there is an AWD version is nice though. I really prefer to stay American though.

One thing that many of you don't realize (unless you own a GTO) is how much of a pain in the *** getting parts can be as well as expensive. They stopped making them in 2006 so the lack of parts is really starting to show. One new headlight enclosure is $900. New front bumper cover is about $700. People have to wait for OEM parts to ship from Australia if there is nothing here in the US. The car has weird quirks too that can be expensive if you are not very mechanical which is me.

Anyway, I still like the GTO and I not looking to sell it right away. I am just considering some options. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Slappy3243
The fact that there is an AWD version is nice though. I really prefer to stay American though.
And we're back to suggesting the ATS.

It'll be very close in price point to the 3 series, so use that as a guide. For under $35k you won't be getting all the bells and whistles on an ATS, but it should be decently equipped.

On the other hand, when the ATS comes out the price on CTS cars is going to drop by a bit as they'll be harder to move off lots. It will probably get some incentives off the top.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
And we're back to suggesting the ATS.

It'll be very close in price point to the 3 series, so use that as a guide. For under $35k you won't be getting all the bells and whistles on an ATS, but it should be decently equipped.

On the other hand, when the ATS comes out the price on CTS cars is going to drop by a bit as they'll be harder to move off lots. It will probably get some incentives off the top.
Yeah, I will have to wait and see. I just looked at the Lexus IS250/350 but the prices on those shoot way up once you add some stuff. The IS250 is also anemic regarding power.

My father has an '04 CTS and it has been a great car. The latest generation is much better of course, both inside and out. I wouldn't mind driving the ATS when it becomes available. I am hoping the Regal GS will get the 3.6L V6 as well. It would go well in that car.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM

I am hoping the Regal GS will get the 3.6L V6 as well. It would go well in that car.
I wouldn't hold your breath - epsilon is getting a v6 effectively "engineered out" for north America. As the LFX is a non-performance engine, it doesn't belong as the top engine in a vehicle.

That said, if I were in the market for a used CTS I'd go for a 3.0L M6 and swap in a set of Recaros when I eventually found them on eBay or from a salvage yard. I prefer the 3.0L to the 3.6L as it wants to rev more than the 3.6, despite less power.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM

Love the exterior look of the Camaro. I do not like the interior at all. It's a great car, but it's not an entry level luxury vehicle. The Regal's interior is so much more plush and feature rich.
I would check out the 2013 because I thought they were getting some of the ZL1's tweaks for the interior. From a feature standpoint, I think the 2LT Camaro stands up to a Regal pretty good with HUD, backup cam and sensors, heated seats, good stereo (maybe even better than Regal), RS package with 20" wheels, HID, and fancy stitching. I think Nav screen is about all you can't get on the Camaro that you can on the Regal.

I am just saying don't give up too fast, I have spent a little time in Camaro's and compared to my '99 TA it is like getting into a Cadillac. 2LT verts start around $35k too. You can probably find a 2LT RS closer to $30k.

-Geoff
Old 01-19-2012, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteHawk
I would check out the 2013 because I thought they were getting some of the ZL1's tweaks for the interior. From a feature standpoint, I think the 2LT Camaro stands up to a Regal pretty good with HUD, backup cam and sensors, heated seats, good stereo (maybe even better than Regal), RS package with 20" wheels, HID, and fancy stitching. I think Nav screen is about all you can't get on the Camaro that you can on the Regal.

I am just saying don't give up too fast, I have spent a little time in Camaro's and compared to my '99 TA it is like getting into a Cadillac. 2LT verts start around $35k too. You can probably find a 2LT RS closer to $30k.

-Geoff
I will surely keep an open mind and check it out. The Camaro is more of a raw performance car where the Regal is more luxurious, even if the options are comparable. The whole interior layout of the Regal is beautiful. Again, the Camaro's interior is barren in comparison. The Regal sort of hugs you. I am not sure if you sat in one, but I suggest you do. Also, if I did get a Camaro, it would have to be a V8. I couldn't buy a V6 Camaro.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM

I couldn't buy a V6 Camaro.
You can't buy a Camaro with a 323HP engine, but you can buy a Regal with a 270HP?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
You can't buy a Camaro with a 323HP engine, but you can buy a Regal with a 270HP?
and a 4 cyl. at that....
Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
Yes. To me, the whole point of a Camaro is the V8 that comes with it. The V6 is no slouch, but it takes away from the whole Camaro experience in my opinion.

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
and a 4 cyl. at that....
It's a turbo-4 and a totally different car than the Camaro. I wouldn't expect a V8 option in the Regal. It is much more about refinement and luxury than performance. You give up the power of the V8 to afford yourself many creature comforts.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:33 PM

well i seen my first GS yesterday and it does look good. best of luck for whatever you buy.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by 97z28/m6
well i seen my first GS yesterday and it does look good. best of luck for whatever you buy.
Sexy, isn't it? The individualized cosmetic pieces really set the car off nicely. Again, I am not going to buy a car tomorrow, but I am testing the waters so to speak.

Quick Reply: Best Intro Luxury car for ~$35,000, Regal GS?