Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anyone else a fan of the Hummer HX concept?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by 99SilverSS
It would need to be close in price to the Wrangler and that would undercut the H3.
Honestly, can you see this concept being brought to market at a pricepoint under the H3?

To bring it in at that price point, they'd have to basically castrate it to the point where it's about as lame as most of the new Jeep products...

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but my guess is that if they bring this to market, it would start over $30K and that is way above what I think the market will bear for any sort of volume...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:17 AM

That's the first Hummer since the H1 that I think is cool as hell and not a poser ride.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but my guess is that if they bring this to market, it would start over $30K and that is way above what I think the market will bear for any sort of volume...

If they could bring it to market for around $28,000 would be even better, but that's just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by CheshireCat
Honestly, can you see this concept being brought to market at a pricepoint under the H3?

To bring it in at that price point, they'd have to basically castrate it to the point where it's about as lame as most of the new Jeep products...

I see this question or idea come up about pricing all the time, we've had pages of debates over this and the 2010 Camaro. It's really simple GM must be able to sell it at a competitive price and be able to make some kind of profit or they just can't produce it.
It's not even worth talking prices or volume as that would be left to the marketing teams to work up those numbers. Sell 25k at $30k or sell 35k at $21.5k is about even.
The whole point is GM and the other domestic brands need to really work out in serious real world numbers how much sales are needed to break even and then make a profit and if that forecast is too high for the units to be sold then don't build the vehicle. The days of over production to hit the profit point and production UAW minimums and then givng the profit back with incentives on the hood should be over.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP
I think it looks pretty cool. I guess I'm not the only one who has seen the Jeep vs. Hummer rivalry.
A Jeep Vs Hummer rivalry would be good for both brands. Camaro Vs Stang surely helped sell more of each of those vehicle as well as the recent WRX Sti Vs Evo on the covers of many auto magazines.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Great point John, there was alot of free advertising in the form of Mustang Vs. Camaro shootouts. I still have two copies of the 1993 Car and Driver mag with the Stang, Z28 and Formula on the cover. As a highschooler that single issue probably tainted me for life.

Wrangler vs HX could have a life of its own and probably benefit both lines. Although mustang sales did go up after the Fbody died IIRC. I dont know if it was because of the end of the fox or not. The 2005 sales were crazy thanks to the new body, not sure what effect the fbodies absence made there. With Cafe upcoming can GM afford the HX or the H3 truck or even both? Is another sub 20 mpg vehicle selling 30K units a year a good thing?
Old 02-14-2008, 07:46 PM

Looks great.

If it was cheap and had a turbo diesel or something I would consider it.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 PM

I love it. If GM builds it I will put it on my list. I saw it on Car and Driver and MotorTrend a couple of weeks back and kept looking at it. I didn't even realize someone made a post about it til I did a search here. I just hope the visibility is better than H2 or H3 as the hood looks pretty tall, not very confidence inspiring.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 PM

I think anything Jeep is offering right now looks the part of "poor cousin" compared to the HX.
I've never been a huge Hummer fanboy...but this thing has me going back and checking it out over and over.
If I can squeeze 3 teenagers in the backseat, I'd love to have one.