Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 10:15 AM

I was at the car show in DC yesterday.. Sit in a GM interior and then sit in some competitors. GM is far from close to them in terms of fit and finish and quality.. The Malibu was actually impressive. Other than that, they are still lacking in this catagory. Even Cadillac seemed cheap compared to foreign cars, with the clunking doors to the body gaps, orange peel paint. The paint on soem GM cars were worse than Hyundai's that cost thousands less.

Nissan kicked major *** with it's styling in and out. Toyota cars were solid and looked the best quality out there. I thought IU would hate the Maxima, but it was my favorite car there. (not judging on performance alone)

Honda was well ..Honda.. Reliable but bland. had good powertrains, but they were just Honda to me.. Nothing exciting at all at their displays.

GTO looked worse up close than in the mag I wanted one of these cars until I saw the trunk. The front nose really does look like a 1990 Pontiac grill., Looks like the car should have come out 10 years ago styling wise LOL It also looks like the wheels are way too small for the rest of the car.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:33 AM

Re: Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Is it just me, or does the Cobolt sort of look like an RSX?

just you
Old 12-26-2004, 02:39 AM

i think GMs line up kinda sucks.

i saw a black SSR that was slammed on a set of 20's the other day. it actually looked pretty slick. it's the first one that i've seen that i've liked.
Old 12-26-2004, 10:03 AM

Holy ****!!! A thread from a year go...
Old 12-26-2004, 10:23 AM

I like the new Cobalt. GM trucks have always sold well especially Tahoe/Suburban. The full size SUV segment is where GM still dominates in my opinion. Nissan is charging hard with the Pathfinder Armada and QX56. Toyota tried with the Sequoia but from what I can tell didn't do too well. I suppose the Expedition has done well but I still see more Tahoes/Suburbans on the road. GM is working on making their cars better. The way I see it they make good trucks and sports cars, they will be improving passenger cars soon.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:03 PM

GM has a loooong way to go before they can catch the competition. But they are coming along. Cadillac is probably the best example. The CTS is a great alternative to the 3-series Bimmer and the Audi A4. And their SRX is one of the best high end SUV's out right now.

The rest of the company has a looong way to go to catch the competition.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:32 PM

I may get flamed for this but i dont care how good the imported cars are or how good they look. I live in America so i will always buy American cars,I have never owned an import brand and never will.
However,GM does need to do something about styling,I hope the 07 Camaro addresses this.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:07 PM

I hear all these insults about GM cars but JD power just rated them among the nations most reliable cars . Caddy's where in the top 3 and chevy in the top 5 while for was like #8
Cars as an individual , the malibu was one of the most reliable cars built right now from what I read out of the last JD power I picked up last month .
Styling is subjective and most of the new cars are built to appeal to the rising market of the younger generation . Most people in their 40's-50's dont like these cars but I dont know many people my age with any complaints .
Styling is subjective but it is no way to rank a cars quality . I think toyota's cars are ugly but they are damn good cars .
Old 12-26-2004, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ponykillr
After checking the 5th gen board here I saw the new Cobolt. I so let down that GM once again made another POS. Every comment on hear about it was gleefull and thankfull. Its junk and I hate it and the people that like it. Here is my rant:

I just looked at the new GM line up on their site. Um WTF? I really hate GM. WTF is this Aveo crap? and the Malibu MAXX? Its a stationwagon. An ugly stationwagon, why dont they just put plastic wood panaling on the side and get it over with?

I love how people on this board in particular absolutly hate the new Mustang but love the new crap from GM. If GM did not have trucks or have old ppl or rental companies to buy their junk cars they would be out of buisness.

The only ok new stuff is the Colorodo and the SSR. Both are under powered and the SSR is way toooooo much $. Did GM not learn from the Plymouth Prowler????? Plymouth is no longer because of stupid products like the Neon, Breeze and Prowler. Yeah lets follow Plymouths lead make really crappy ugly cheap cars and make one cool car but charge $40000 for it........good thinking GM.
Maybe you should say crap from Chevy, not GM.
Old 12-26-2004, 08:00 PM

Ponykillr, this is all you really needed to say:

I really hate GM.
The rest of your statement was a lame (and poorly composed) rationalization.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 AM

December 28 2003!

I guess new subjects are at a premium here, so we're bringing up old stuff.