Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 03:52 PM

Angry Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?

After checking the 5th gen board here I saw the new Cobolt. I so let down that GM once again made another POS. Every comment on hear about it was gleefull and thankfull. Its junk and I hate it and the people that like it. Here is my rant:

I just looked at the new GM line up on their site. Um WTF? I really hate GM. WTF is this Aveo crap? and the Malibu MAXX? Its a stationwagon. An ugly stationwagon, why dont they just put plastic wood panaling on the side and get it over with?

I love how people on this board in particular absolutly hate the new Mustang but love the new crap from GM. If GM did not have trucks or have old ppl or rental companies to buy their junk cars they would be out of buisness.

The only ok new stuff is the Colorodo and the SSR. Both are under powered and the SSR is way toooooo much $. Did GM not learn from the Plymouth Prowler????? Plymouth is no longer because of stupid products like the Neon, Breeze and Prowler. Yeah lets follow Plymouths lead make really crappy ugly cheap cars and make one cool car but charge $40000 for it........good thinking GM.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:27 PM

Yeah....I just looked at a few of them myslef. I have to go now and stick my finger down my throat.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:58 PM

What exactly DO you like?
Old 12-28-2003, 11:04 PM

i think the Cobalt is actually very nice and am considering getting a Cobalt SS supercharged for a dialy driver come next fall.

i think the phrase different strokes for different folks comes into play here. and you dont seem to understand that much i see.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:11 PM

The Cobalt should be a step up from the current Jbody in every aspect, and offer teh supercharged Ecotec on the SS model. Thats definately a plus for a Chevy line up which is pretty bland right now.

My only gripe with GM minus a few exceptions, GM seems to be content with using "adequate" technology. An example would be the 3800 V6. How long does GM plan to use this motor? Sure its great, but all of the reputable competition has something better. GM never really leads the market, it just seems to offer OK products at a cheaper price.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:18 PM

Yeah, i am not a big fan right now either, i mean the only cool toy out is the GTO, but it looks like a family sedan and not a rwd LS1 performance car. The corvette is overpriced for what it is. I am finding my self likeing ford more and more. Dodge i am kinda lookin at too.I think once i graduate college i am going to go with the SRT-10 or maybe even the retro stang. But mine will be a cobra and wont have the gay interior
But hopefully by the time i am done with school we will have the camaro back.

But i have to agree, GM is turning everything into oldsmobile. all fwd, pos cars that u can buy new for like 10 large. Lets see, they turned the semi good looking malibu to a more civic'esk desing. I totally hate how it looks. the monte SS still doesnt have as much hp as the gtp comp G. But i think it looks better IMHO. We have the countless SUV's like trail blazer, blazer, etc. and trucks.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by LT-14me
Yeah, i am not a big fan right now either, i mean the only cool toy out is the GTO, but it looks like a family sedan and not a rwd LS1 performance car.
what was the GTO in the 60s?
Old 12-28-2003, 11:49 PM

I must say, as of around 2000 things started going bad... ex Avalanche (im ONLY talking styling here). From then on everything had to have the ugly *** big chrome bar across the front end of everything. Then it spread to the silverado (why my dad found an 02, he refused to have that ugly 03 front end).

My list:
-The Aztec (this is a styling marvel here)
-The Rendevous " " " "
-The new Utility vans... mainly the front end
-the cavalier recently took a turn for the worse
-the new Malibu has to be in my top 10 ugliest vehicles I have ever seen
-The monte looks decent...
-Same with the impala, but too bad its a whimpala now
-The colorado has the classic disgusting front end on it
-Equinox " "
-The new pontiacs dont look good (mostly the front end)
-the GTO actually looks normal, but it could have been done better

with all these styling failures (ok im being dramatic), I dont think you can blame me for wanting to see a retro camaro... In my mind its their only saving grace... The consistent pattern of making ugly new vehicles is scaring me; I dont want to see an ugly 2007 camaro that needs to make a glorious return.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by JoeliusZ28

with all these styling failures (ok im being dramatic), I dont think you can blame me for wanting to see a retro camaro... In my mind its their only saving grace... The consistent pattern of making ugly new vehicles is scaring me; I dont want to see an ugly 2007 camaro that needs to make a glorious return.
Were you reading posts in the 5th gen section?, because that's exactly what I thought about the camaro and chevy in general.

I really don't understand how that big chrome strip keeps getting put into production, and why they find it necessary to go out of their way to work it into every model?!?!

I would've liked to sit in on that design meeting and listen to why they thought it was a good idea.

As far as the cobalt goes, I'm just glad they're changing the j-body finally. It looks like a decent car, but it's something that should have been released long ago IMO.

Last edited by JG/70Z; 12-29-2003 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:31 AM

Originally posted by Steve0
The Cobalt should be a step up from the current Jbody in every aspect, and offer teh supercharged Ecotec on the SS model. Thats definately a plus for a Chevy line up which is pretty bland right now.

My only gripe with GM minus a few exceptions, GM seems to be content with using "adequate" technology. An example would be the 3800 V6. How long does GM plan to use this motor? Sure its great, but all of the reputable competition has something better. GM never really leads the market, it just seems to offer OK products at a cheaper price.
I may be wrong but I think there is a 3.5L V6 with DOD coming soon and also modern variations of the 60* V6 family (like our 3.4L). The 3.8L days are actually numbered.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:32 AM

Originally posted by JG/70Z
Were you reading posts in the 5th gen section?, because that's exactly what I thought about the camaro and chevy in general.

I really don't understand how that big chrome strip keeps getting put into production, and why they find it necessary to go out of their way to work it into every model?!?!

I would've liked to sit in on that design meeting and listen to why they thought it was a good idea.

As far as the cobalt goes, I'm just glad they're changing the j-body finally. It looks like a decent car, but it's something that should have been released long ago IMO.
Yep, your probably the one I got the "saving grace" saying from right? Good wording, I cant think of a better way of putting it

edit: Yep, I did pick that up from you.

Last edited by JoeliusZ28; 12-29-2003 at 12:52 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by JG/70Z

ITs no longer the J-body platform, its on a brand new FWD platform called Delta.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:41 AM

I still say give GM time. The current leaders are still fixing the problems of a different company from the late 90's. That old GM let our F-body wither and die. The new GM thinks it has a place in the line up. That gives me faith in GM. I firmly believe GM will lead the auto industry by the end of the decade. It takes a big ship a while to change direction. GM is that ship. Great things take time.

Last edited by stars1010; 12-29-2003 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by stars1010
I still say give GM time. The current leaders are still fixing the problems of a different company from the late 90's. That old GM let our F-body wither and die. The new GM thinks it has a place in the line up. That gives me faith in GM. I firmly believe GM will lead the auto industry by the end of the decade. It takes a big ship a while to change direction. GM is that ship. Great things take time.
I do believe things will get better and GM will change direction. But for now, there's just small things that make me wonder "WTF?" when I see them, the SSR for example.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:24 AM

Some people must want GM to turn into a low volume specialty car company and make only high performance V8 sports cars. Listen, if you want your Corvettes and GTOs, you're gonna have to deal with the economy cars and rental cars. That's what makes the money, not selling 1000 Corvette Z06s a year.

Quick Reply: Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?