Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by stangitr
Some people must want GM to turn into a low volume specialty car company and make only high performance V8 sports cars. Listen, if you want your Corvettes and GTOs, you're gonna have to deal with the economy cars and rental cars. That's what makes the money, not selling 1000 Corvette Z06s a year.
Well of course, yeah, but the designs don't have to be so bland/awkward/ugly. I'm speaking of current models.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by JG/70Z
Well of course, yeah, but the designs don't have to be so bland/awkward/ugly. I'm speaking of current models.
Bland cars sell. The average American doesn't want some flashy coupe, they want a dependable, anonymous looking car to get from point A to point B. Malibus and Impalas sell like hotcakes for a reason.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:22 AM

People that want a normal bland dependable car buy Altimas and Camarys not Malibus and Montys. Sorry but GM has consistantly dropped the ball in the car catagory for a very long time now. Ford is not doing much better but they still have more desireable products even if they are not better.

Things GM should do. Kill the bad nameplates not the good ones. The Cavaler is a crap nameplate. Cobalt is a new nameplate to a crap car and your not fooling anyone buying it. The only way the Cavaler and Malibu/Impalla sell in big #s is by selling to rental car companies. These cars are compairable to disposable cameras.

If you want a cheap car: Nissian Sentra, Corolla even VWs (yes ppl wont laugh at you if you own or buy one for your kid)

If you want a bland yet nice family sedan: Nissian Altima, M6, Gallant (yes much better than any GM car in the catagory in regards to styling. ie ppl wont laugh at you if you own one)

If you want a high end sedan: Camary, Acura TL, Maxima and Accord are all better than anything GM has in the same catagory.

By looking at Nissians car lineup alone GM is completly outclassed in all lower end (vette and GTO excluded) car catagories.

GM is not all bad. It made the GTO which is a very nice car. Yet there are problems. Price is too high and production too low. Also for the price most saine US buyers would rather have a Benz or BMW. Sorry GM has almost forced this compulsive reaction out of most US buyers. Like the Vette GM has to struggle to get the high end buyer even though it is a truly nice car.

Most people dont trust GM quality even when its good. But what do you expect when GM is notorious for doing things like ripping off the Suzuki badge and throwing on a bowtie.

Last edited by Ponykillr; 12-29-2003 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:24 AM

Yeah I guess all those Malibus, Impalas, Grand Ams, and Monte Carlos I see around are really Altimas and Sentras.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:31 AM

At least the Altimas and Sentras you do see look better than the entire GM car lineup excluding the Vette. Why anyone chooses to defend GM on this issue is beyond me unless they sell cars for GM. Face it GM makes junk when compaired to the compitition in the same catagory.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:31 AM

Bland cars sell. The average American doesn't want some flashy coupe, they want a dependable, anonymous looking car to get from point A to point B. Malibus and Impalas sell like hotcakes for a reason.
lol, you sound like one of Hers'b advisors from the Simpsons, you know when he ran the car company (ala GM) and Homer didn't want any of the cars.

..."Because Americans don't want' cars like that"...

Anyways, I don't undersatnd how you can lump american car consumers as a group of people who want something bland and anonymous? Obviously that's not true or GM wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Hotcakes sell because they are cheap. Fact is GM's styling can use a boost, which they may be getting in the near future.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:16 AM

Originally posted by Ponykillr
At least the Altimas and Sentras you do see look better than the entire GM car lineup excluding the Vette. Why anyone chooses to defend GM on this issue is beyond me unless they sell cars for GM. Face it GM makes junk when compaired to the compitition in the same catagory.
Wait, you're basically just saying that you don't like the way that GM's new cars look. Well, guess what? Looks are very subjective. I personally don't think the civic looks all that hot, but it still sells like crazy. I hate the way people put huge spoilers and fart cans and stickers on their cars, but guess what? Hundreds of thousands of people still do it and think it's cool. True, there's probably more people that think it looks stupid, but to each their own.

And saying the cars that GM makes are junk compaired to the competition is pretty stupid too. If it's true, base it off facts, not just stuff you pull out of your butt. If you have kept up with reviews, quality tests, etc. as of late you'll notice that GM has gotten MUCH better. I'm not saying they're perfect, they definately can keep improving, but their not all complete junk.

Saying that you hate GM and you hate anyone who likes the new car's just proves that you're small minded and scared of change or anything different than what you like. If people don't like the new cars, they won't buy them. Most the cars you are dissing aren't even out yet!

You're defense is that if anyone disagrees with you their obviously stupid and just blindly following GM. That's just stupid, people will like different things than you do, get over it.

You can call me biased towards GM if you want, and you probably will, but I would bet I've owned more cars from more makers than you have. I like many different cars under many different brands, but I guess I do have on bias... I'm biased against stupid people like you who think anyone who disagrees with them is wrong. They are opinions, everyone has their own, that doesn't make them wrong.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by Ponykillr
I think you're confusing the concept of "junk" with your preference for exterior styling. I don't think the Nissan Sentra looks good at all, but you must be right while I'm wrong eh?

You keep referring to the new Cobalt as junk, but how do you know? Driven one yet? Wait, even seen one in person yet? No one knows how much better it will be over the J-body but I can tell you that I really like what I see right now just in the interior look, engine and transmission options, wheel choices, etc. These are things blatantly absent from the current Cavalier.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:39 AM

Well, I've been down on GM for a while, especially since they axed the F-body. But it's not all bad. The Cadillac line is coming along, though it's gonna take years to rebuild their image. The C5 is a great car, though not my cuppa tea. The GTO is a step forward as well. The light trucks and SUV's are certainly competitive.

But as far as bread and butter cars (sedans, coupes, wagons) I have to agree with some of the posters here. In spite of a STRONG "Buy American" bias, I find it hard to reccomend any of the GM mainstream cars. About the only exception are the base model Saturns. The cars are just ok, at best. They come close to their competition, but to succeed in this market GM's products need to be BETTER than their competitors to overcome years of crappy designs and poor quality. There are nowheres near excelling in this area. I sort of ashamed to admit it, but my wife drives a Subaru. She wanted a compact AWD wagon that is economical and dependable. Any domestics in that category? Nope.

Rich Krause
Old 12-29-2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by rskrause
But as far as bread and butter cars (sedans, coupes, wagons) I have to agree with some of the posters here. In spite of a STRONG "Buy American" bias, I find it hard to reccomend any of the GM mainstream cars. About the only exception are the base model Saturns. The cars are just ok, at best. They come close to their competition, but to succeed in this market GM's products need to be BETTER than their competitors to overcome years of crappy designs and poor quality. There are nowheres near excelling in this area.
I agree 100%. Like someone else said, look at Nissan, thier "lower" car line all the way up to the Maxima whoops GM's "lower" line products all over the place. Same with Toyota and Honda. Hell, Ford has even stepped up and started to leave GM behind.

I'm under the impression that the only way GM is capable of selling as many Montes, Imapallas, Malibus and such as they do is through their incentives. GM will offer $4000 rebates on everything but the Vette, and Caddies. If they put out better products I dont think all of those incentives would be necessary.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:43 AM

Im sorry I just have to point out that the new malibu is fugly, not just bland. I see very few of them, unlike the previous malibu, which was bland and did sell like a hotcake.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by rskrause
But as far as bread and butter cars (sedans, coupes, wagons) I have to agree with some of the posters here. In spite of a STRONG "Buy American" bias, I find it hard to reccomend any of the GM mainstream cars. About the only exception are the base model Saturns. The cars are just ok, at best. They come close to their competition, but to succeed in this market GM's products need to be BETTER than their competitors to overcome years of crappy designs and poor quality. There are nowheres near excelling in this area. I sort of ashamed to admit it, but my wife drives a Subaru. She wanted a compact AWD wagon that is economical and dependable. Any domestics in that category? Nope.
Thats probably why we see the foreign car shifting from a "POS" image to a luxury image... notice how they advertise the cars features on a commercial? All GM advertises is their incentives and rebates.... (except when it comes to trucks).
Old 12-29-2003, 09:59 AM

Personally, I hate the new styling of the Japanese cars. Especially the new Maxima and TL. The TSX is pretty but ugly, too. And lets not forget about the Germans. The 7 series, the Z4, the new 5 series, the 6 series. My god, they are REALLY ugly. They might drive well, but man. Ford isn't my up of tea right now, either. Look at Mercury. I really liked the Marauder, but they make 4 different models in total. Ford is also axing the Taures/Sable platform for something new. And they have the Focus, Mustang and Crown-vic. Ford is worse than GM! They have absoultly nothing to compete with mid-size sedans. The Taures is garbage. The focus might be a good car, and Mustangs seem to be selling well, but all the blue ovel has is mini-vans, SUVs and trucks, too. The Taures and the Focus might sell well, but that does not mean they are good (the focus is, though..very fun to drive for an econo-box).
Old 12-29-2003, 09:59 AM

i really think that GM has hit paydirt with the Cobalt. it offers so much that other cars in its category dont. 3 (THREE) engine options, 8 (EIGHT!) trim levels, 3 (THREE) suspension packages ect. im saying right now, that if the Cobalt turns out to be as high quality as it looks in the pictures, puts down the performance its supposed to and i can fit it in comfortably (6'3" @240lbs) it will be my daily driver next year.

more pics:
http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062827
http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062828
http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062824
http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_062842
Old 12-29-2003, 10:01 AM

Is it just me, or does the Cobolt sort of look like an RSX?

Quick Reply: Anti-GM rant. New GM products WTF?