Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Another MINIVAN Bites the Dust:

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

Another MINIVAN Bites the Dust:

Originally Posted by Autoweek
Mazda North America may not get the next MPV minivan; small size is big concern
JAMES B. TREECE | Automotive News
Posted Date: 5/23/05
TOKYO -- Mazda may not sell its 2007 replacement for the MPV minivan in North America.

"There's a size issue," says Mazda Motor Corp. Chairman Kazuhide Watanabe.

He says executives at Mazda North America Operations believe the redesigned MPV is too small for North American tastes, especially since another small minivan already is on the way to America.

Watanabe says a decision on the MPV has not been made.

Mazda had hoped three new models would give it a greater presence in the light-truck segment and boost sales volume. The models are the redesigned MPV, the new Mazda5 and a sport wagon based on the MX Crossport concept.

Mazda will launch the Mazda5 in the United States this summer. The Mazda5 is a three-row, six-seat minivan slightly smaller than the MPV.

The sport wagon will join the U.S. lineup next spring.

The next-generation MPV is aimed mainly at Japan.

Mazda sold 5,344 MPVs in the United States in the first four months of this year. That was down 22 percent from the same period of 2004.

Mazda had hoped to use both the Mazda5 and the sport wagon to broaden its U.S. market coverage. Jim O'Sullivan, president of Mazda North American Operations, said Mazda could sell both without penalizing sales of the MPV or the Tribute SUV.

"As we grow beyond selling products (in segments) that represent 47 percent of the industry, I think we have the capacity to do it," O'Sullivan said.

"But Mazda has to be Mazda. It has to feel like a Mazda. (Mazda Motor President Hisakazu) Imaki said our No. 1 priority is North America. If we beef up our North American r&d, build up our dealer body with more exclusives, we can't then sit back and not enter additional product segments."
I'd been wondering how Mazda expected the undersized MPV minivan to sell along side the upcoming Mazda 5? I guess they didn't?

Either way, I expect the Mazda 5 to do well in Europe where people actually like the compact "people mover" concept.

North America is a different story. The Mazda 5 just seems like a reinvention of the early 90s Mitsubishi Expo (which also was sold as the Eagle Summit). The idea wasn't a smash hit back then - although the Mitsu did sell fairly well in Europe as the "Spacestar." Have things changed all that much?
Old 05-23-2005, 07:00 PM

Re: Another MINIVAN Bites the Dust:

I havent heard about a Mazda 5... I would assume its a wagon version of the 3?

I dont understand why the US is such a lousy market for wagons either. They do 90% of what an SUV will for 75% of the cost, 60% of the fuel, and with a ride thats a good order of magnitude better.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by MissedShift

I dont understand why the US is such a lousy market for wagons either. They do 90% of what an SUV will for 75% of the cost, 60% of the fuel, and with a ride thats a good order of magnitude better.
Yes I beleive the underpinings and powertrain is the same as the Mazda 3. Not really a wagon though. Interesting news---the Seinna and Odessy are all much bigger then the MPV and they sell very well.

If the MPV isn't alot bigger then the Mazda 5--they shouldn't bring it here.
Out of all Asain imports I like Mazda the best.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Banned

Actually, the Mazda 5 is more of a miniature minivan.

But, you were right when you said it was based on the Mazda 3.

Actually, station wagons tend to be more expensive that comparable SUVs in some cases. For instance, a BMW X3 is quite a bit cheaper feature-for-feature than the outgoing 3-series touring station wagon. Believe it or not, but a V8 Mercedes ML500 is far cheaper than a V6 E350 station wagon.

Of course, it doesn't help that there is very poor selection of station wagons on the market. I mean seriously, the choice is between two very old VW's, the aging Ford Focus, the overpriced Mazda 6 wagon, two sizes of Volvo, two sizes of Subarus, a tiny Lexus IS "sport cross" and a whole bunch of very expensive and-not-very-common BMWs, Mercedes and Audis. Oddly enough, the best station wagon is probably the Dodge Magnum - despite the fact that the Magnum is a very inconvenient station wagon. Personally, I'd pass up the Magnum for a Charger sedan in a heartbeat.

As far as the fuel economy and ride issues, you're still overstating. In this society, gas is still cheap and people just don't seem to be complaining about the ride quality of SUVs.