Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

6th gen Camaro powertrain talk......

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM
West South Central Moderator

the Genesis Coupe should have kept the Tiburon name.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Both are stupid names.....
Old 08-31-2010, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Not necessarily. In fact, I think the hybrid concept is very polarizing. You either love the idea or you hate it. And those that love it are generally the Starbucks people in their Prius who put "saving the world" first, not sporting intentions. The hybrid driver is trying to make a very different statement.
I have not seen that at all in the upstate NY area, maybe it is different where you live. Most hybrid owners I've met buy the car because they don't like paying for gas. Most do a lot of driving. I'm not sure what kind of coffee they drink but they seem to be your average middle class person. They also don't seem to be car people. I don't think a Camaro hybrid would be something they would want because it isn't practice. Also, $30k+ hybrid don't seem to sell.

Originally Posted by formula79
You guys so double talk yourselves. On one hand, you say a 4 cylinder is good because it will bring in people who don't care about performance and want efficiancy. On the other hand a hybrid is bad? Sorry..but a hybrid is cool to most of the people you are trying to target with a 4 cylinder.

As for other cool 4 cylinder cars..I would gladly buy a WRX or EVO before I bought a 4 cylinder Camaro.
You are forgetting one very important thing. Camaro hybrid = expensive, Camaro 4cyl. = cheap. No one is going to buy a slow and heavy $35k Camaro. They will buy a light, quick, 35mpg, $22k Camaro though.

Originally Posted by formula79
Again..lets go back to the most basic point...

Current Camaro has a 300HP V6 that gets 30MPG on the highway. The V6 looks almost exactly like the V8, and can be option to look pretty much identical. The V8 Camaro cost like $10K more than the V6.

Yet still V8 outsells the V6 by a decent margin (60/40 I think).

Additionally the only recent attempt at a RWD pony type car with a 4 cylinder (Genisis) failed. The find success, or any real notable domestic RWD 4 cylinder performance cars, you have to go back to cars like the Mustang SVO and Thunderbird Turbo Coupe..which had a HP number very similar to the 5.0L. Both cars had limited success but did not last long.

So again..if we want the Camaro to go on in the future...do we really want a core part of the next generation to be focused on 4 cylinder cars. I don't care how objective you are...the majority of people who care about the Camaro will puke all over the thought, No matter how good it is...they might as well slap hub caps and an iron duke badge on the side...because only someone without a clue will care.
There are lots of sporty 4cyl. cars on the market. Everything from Mini Cooper, Scion tC, WRX, to Kia Forte and Civic coupes. Those are the cars that will be cross shopped with the 4cyl. Camaro.

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Sure CAFE must be met.

But the broader question, which Branden brings up, is that somehow a turbo 4 will not carry the marketing panache of a V6. I mean, really? Since when has the V6 and before that, the I6 Camaro, gotten much respect in Camaro's branding? Never. Has anyone ever specifically bought a Camaro for it's sweet V6 or for it's hotrodding potential? I can't think of anyone. While we're talking about that, no one has even bothered to even crack the PCM code on the HFV6, while the turbo Ecotec's modding potential is almost unlimited.

So, I still don't get the issue here. I don't get how a base V6 Camaro is cool and a base turbo 4 Camaro is not cool.

I don't get how a good performing, fuel sipping, mod friendly, with an existing and burgeoning enthusiast community, base engine, is NOT cool...... and a good performing, less fuel sipping, sealed from the factory mod-unfriendly, with no enthusiast community, base engine IS cool?
I think most enthusiasts would rather have turbo car that can easily be modded than the V6. Higher mpg would just be a bonus.

Changing the name of a product is a great way to confuse consumers and kill sales. Hyundai should have learned this from watching GM.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
I don't think a Camaro hybrid would be something they would want because it isn't practice.
That's exactly my point. The types of people who buy hybrids aren't car guys/gals, aren't Camaro-intending buyers. Camaro is no more a good fit for a hybrid model than Corvette.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by rlchv70
Just a bit of devil's advocate:

CAFE does not HAVE to be met. Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari, etc. don't meet CAFE requirements. They just pay the fines.

Alternatively, you could just sell a bunch of Aveos to offset all of the V8 Camaro sales.
Every last mpg will count.
Keep in mind that those same Aveos also have to offset larger Chevy/Cadillac/Buick sedans, crossovers and trucks.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-31-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Maybe but the V8 will always sound better. You can do whatever you want to that V6. Do the same to the V8 and it will eat it for breakfast.
Agree with the sound, disagree with the last statement. More to engine design then number of cylinders. Besides, you can't just slap turbos on a production NA V8 and hope that it holds together like a factory boosted motor such as a VR38DETT, RB26DETT, 2JZGTE, etc. Besides, there is a huge difference between messing around with a boost controller and adding FI or switching the internals. Start talking about mods like that and the sky is the limit for any engine.

How can you say the above and in the very same post say the below?
Because I have sense enough to know that there is a practical limit to the displacement of a four cylinder engine, as well as head flow and max RPM. Torque is basically proportional to displacement at given manifold pressure. If you want more power you can push the limits of RPM and you will get something like the F20C which made 240HP at 8300 RPM, with redline at 9000 RPM. However, it was right at the limit of piston speed for a production street car and also noted for feeling somewhat gutless in the S2000 with only 153lbft of torque at 7500 RPM. A car which is likely to be lighter than a 6th Gen Camaro. You just won't have enough torque available in low enough revs to feel any semblance of sportiness. Sure you could gear the car very aggressively, but you will eventually run out of gears and the fuel economy will suffer.

Next, consider the LNF in Kappa guise. Same displacement, but under 20 psi of boost so power was 260HP @ 5300 RPM, while torque was 260lbft from 2500–5250 rpm. Throw on the GMPP kit and it makes 290HP @ 5200 RPM and 340lbft @ 3600RPM. Ignoring the GMPP kit, 260lbft over most of the rev range will motivate a 3500lb Camaro much better than any naturally aspirated motor could hope to.

You hit the nail on the head. Some V6's sound decent. The V8 sounds good and can be made to sound outright nasty! With the right rumble it can make your heart almost pound right out of your chest and make you want to plant your foot and let it roar like a Tiger claiming its territory...
I won't argue with this. But there is much more to selling a car than the engine note. Especially on a car that should be a volume car like a base Camaro.

This is what really bothers me with these types of vague posts that mention what is a good based what they think other people like.

Some people love... but not me
Women like... because I said so
Most people dont care about... but I do
I don't pretend to be able to predict what any individual values in a car. However, teh data is quite clear that the "V8 sound" is likely not very high on the priority list of the vast majority of car buyers, even buyers of sporty coupes.

what about "The vast majority of the market"

OK OK Ill play devils advocate.

Lotus exige
WRX STI
Mitsu EVO
Hundai Genesis

But the Lotus exige is a two seater, you literally have to contort your body to get into. Its rediculous, and I couldnt imagine owning one.

The STI and EVO both are 4 dr upright boxes well adapted for the 4 cyl awd.
I don't know what the vast majority of the market comment means. formula79 brought up 4 cylinder image cars, then talked about the Lancer Evo and the WRX. I talked about both of them above. I agree the Lotus is definitely a more ridiculous example and would have nothing to do with a base Camaro.

The Genesis on the other hand is probably the closest match. Im no expert but I think the body is probably not as stout or able to take a High output V8. Also Im not a Hundai fan at all but if I ever were to consider one this would be it.
Out of those four, yes. But as I stated earlier the base Camaro should even appeal to people who buy Accord and Altima coupes. Accord is the most cross shopped vehicle for Mustang after the Camaro. Making the base Camaro desirable to those shoppers, while leaving enough Camaro-ness in the car to keep core buyers might be tricky, but it is doable. Hell, if this message board is any indication, just calling a car Camaro would be enough to get half of the enthusiasts to buy it, unlike the old grumpy GTO guys that wanted a carbon copy of a '66.

the difference in a Camaro with a 4 banger (even with a TURBO!) and the other performance 4 cylinder cars mentioned here is that the 4cyl. Camaro would be the ENTRY LEVEL car. In those other cars, only the top of the line models have comparable output.
Exactly. Glad to see there are other people that get it.

Yep. And don't get us wrong Branden, if GM can achieve a CAFE-positive rating for Camaro with a V6, then by all means, use the V6 in your base car. But I'm not sure the technology is going to be there within the next 5 years for a V6 Camaro to achieve 35+ mpg.
Valid concern.

Sure CAFE must be met.

But the broader question, which Branden brings up, is that somehow a turbo 4 will not carry the marketing panache of a V6. I mean, really? Since when has the V6 and before that, the I6 Camaro, gotten much respect in Camaro's branding? Never. Has anyone ever specifically bought a Camaro for it's sweet V6 or for it's hotrodding potential? I can't think of anyone. While we're talking about that, no one has even bothered to even crack the PCM code on the HFV6, while the turbo Ecotec's modding potential is almost unlimited.

So, I still don't get the issue here. I don't get how a base V6 Camaro is cool and a base turbo 4 Camaro is not cool.

I don't get how a good performing, fuel sipping, mod friendly, with an existing and burgeoning enthusiast community, base engine, is NOT cool...... and a good performing, less fuel sipping, sealed from the factory mod-unfriendly, with no enthusiast community, base engine IS cool?
As far as the issues with the V6 go, part of that can be blamed on GM and their lukewarm stance on aftermarket mods. Would be nice if they would help the tuners out a little bit with the 3.6L... they are also sitting on a pretty powerful turbo kit in the form of the Leno Camaro.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:51 PM
West South Central Moderator

That's exactly my point. The types of people who buy hybrids aren't car guys/gals, aren't Camaro-intending buyers. Camaro is no more a good fit for a hybrid model than Corvette.
If there were a Monte Carlo out now, would that be a more appropriate hybrid vehicle?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 PM

If there were a Monte Carlo out now, would that be a more appropriate hybrid vehicle?
Good question. Honestly, I don't see a hybrid with anything less than 4 doors being a big success. I think there's an expectation of practicality that goes along with it.

Didn't Honda kill the Accord coupe hybrid many years ago?

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 08-31-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by HAZ-Matt
As far as the issues with the V6 go, part of that can be blamed on GM and their lukewarm stance on aftermarket mods. Would be nice if they would help the tuners out a little bit with the 3.6L... they are also sitting on a pretty powerful turbo kit in the form of the Leno Camaro.
Yup. Plus, I think that the 3.6 lacks alot of the smoothness, eagerness and refinement which would make an enthusiast excited about having one. It's a prime mover, not one of those glorious motors which you "must" have.

It does have a pretty tough bottom end though, if someone were to offer a turbo kit.

Last edited by Z284ever; 08-31-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:11 PM

Assuming a smaller 6th gen Camaro, the one negative I can see with a turbo 4, is if premium fuel is required. Optional would be one thing, but if it requires 91 octane, then they'd be better off with a smaller N/A V6 that is tuned to run on 89 as the base engine.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Assuming a smaller 6th gen Camaro, the one negative I can see with a turbo 4, is if premium fuel is required. Optional would be one thing, but if it requires 91 octane, then they'd be better off with a smaller N/A V6 that is tuned to run on 89 as the base engine.
Good point. I'd bet you'll be able to run it on 87 octane if you wanted to.

Anyone know what the Regal's 220 hp turbo's fuel requirements are?
Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Good point. I'd bet you'll be able to run it on 87 octane if you wanted to.

Anyone know what the Regal's 220 hp turbo's fuel requirements are?
Not off hand, but the new Sonata DI turbo I4 uses 87 and gets 22/34 EPA and has 274hp, which totally destroys any V6 in the HP*fuel economy factor.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:48 PM

I meant 87 not 89 btw.

FWIW, My mother recently purchased an Acura RDX. One of the negatives that she hemmed and hawed over was the fact that she needed to run 91 octane with the turbo 4 cylinder. She decided the other pluses outweighed the negatives, but her car is considered a luxury vehicle.

With Camaro, the turbo 4 would be the base model, and needs to be marketed as such.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:51 PM

The premium fuel vs cost argument drives me nuts. If "you" drive 250 miles per week, and get 19 mpg (I get that in mixed driving in my 1998 Regal GS) the dlta between the two is not outrageous.

250/19 = 13.16 gal* $2.50 per gal (for example) = $32.90 per week or $1710.80 per year

250/19 = 13.16 gal* $2.80 per gal (premium) = $36.85 per week or $1916.10 per year.

It's less than $4 per week. The base price of gas and mpg are the drivers.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
The premium fuel vs cost argument drives me nuts. If "you" drive 250 miles per week, and get 19 mpg (I get that in mixed driving in my 1998 Regal GS) the dlta between the two is not outrageous.

250/19 = 13.16 gal* $2.50 per gal (for example) = $32.90 per week or $1710.80 per year

250/19 = 13.16 gal* $2.80 per gal (premium) = $36.85 per week or $1916.10 per year.

It's less than $4 per week. The base price of gas and mpg are the drivers.
That would be true provided the car gets the same mpg with premium over regular, however I've never seen that to be the case. Higher octane means more power, which means lower fuel mileage.

Quick Reply: 6th gen Camaro powertrain talk......