Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2012 Chevrolet Malibu Revealed In Official Patent Filings

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Yeah, I've got to see the real one in the flesh too. These drawings make me feel that the current car is going to be the looker of the two though.
Agreed. I'm actually now considering a used 2009 Malibu LT instead of a used Impala.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Z28x
The back door looks smaller on the 2012, is the wheel base shorter? Or is the sketch just not to scale
If the wheelbase is the same as the Buick Regal, which I expect it to be, it is 4.5 inches smaller than the current Malibu.

2011 Regal wheelbase 107.8 in

2009 Malibu wheelbase 112.3 in

Last edited by Plague; 03-16-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Plague
If the wheelbase is the same as the Buick Regal, which I expect it to be, it is 4.5 inches smaller than the current Malibu.

2011 Regal wheelbase 107.8 in

2009 Malibu wheelbase 112.3 in

2010 Lacrosse wheelbase 111.7 in
Why would you not assume it would be as long as the Buick Lacrosse?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 91_z28_4me
Why would you not assume it would be as long as the Buick Lacrosse?
GM have already announced that the next Malibu will be on short wheelbase Epsilon II rather than long like the LaCrosse.

Next Impala will be on LWB with the LaCrosse. Next Malibu will be on SWB with Regal.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
GM have already announced that the next Malibu will be on short wheelbase Epsilon II rather than long like the LaCrosse.

Next Impala will be on LWB with the LaCrosse. Next Malibu will be on SWB with Regal.
Thanks, I somehow missed that announcement.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM

I hope it looks good in person - but more than anything I'm concerned about the interior. The competition isn't sitting quietly in this segment and with Ford turning up the heat GM needs a lot of gizmos, toys, and whizbang options to really stand out.

I mean, the exterior looks like an improvement (so far I guess) but the interior really needs more shock and awe. The Fusion isn't sitting still and Ford's MyTouch just takes Sync and puts it on steriods. GM does not have a counter product yet - and I'll bet good money the ipod generation that's so used to touching their screen is going to want something like that in the Malibu.

And, as stablemates, will GM give any of the Insignia toys or options to the Malibu? Will there be a thought to a Malibu sport? Only time will tell, but the plan is still to keep the Regal only a few grand more than the Malibu - but what happens when similarly equipped? What will distinguish the differences? What will really separate the two?

And, for those that purchase a newer Malibu, in a few years once the Buick Regal GS vehicles start getting parted out, will those fancy seats and brakes easily swap over?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 AM

Yeah, Malibu will be on the SWB model, but its overall length will be about the same as the current, with more width.
I like MonaroSS's sketch on GMI at this point with the side-profile, but that blue rendering looks amazing.
As an owner of an 09, I think this car is really really gunna step this game up. If the interior is nearly as good as they say it is, I expect this car to be a real knock-out.

Regal and Malibu should be able to take some big chunks out of the midsized segment, offering two very different cars.
Id like for GM to offer the traditional powertrains, but with the Regal and Sonata going 4cyl only, this might be a good time for Chevy to go 4cyl only as well? Or do you go back to the strong set? And with the V6, do you go with the 3.0 or 3.6?
Guess we will find out soon enough.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:01 AM

With the Regal moving to only 4 cylinders, I almost would like to see the Malibu go the same route. In theory that could ease the jobs of engineers if the V6 was dropped and they only had 4 cylinder engines to worry about. If that were the case though I'd hope we'd still get the turbo 2L as the top engine, just without some of the whiz-bang gizmos and toys that came in the Regal.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Geoff Chadwick
I hope it looks good in person - but more than anything I'm concerned about the interior. The competition isn't sitting quietly in this segment and with Ford turning up the heat GM needs a lot of gizmos, toys, and whizbang options to really stand out.

I mean, the exterior looks like an improvement (so far I guess) but the interior really needs more shock and awe. The Fusion isn't sitting still and Ford's MyTouch just takes Sync and puts it on steriods. GM does not have a counter product yet - and I'll bet good money the ipod generation that's so used to touching their screen is going to want something like that in the Malibu.
Ford has partnered with Microsoft, so GM should counter that and partner with Apple. Could you imagine an iPhone like interface on the center pod?

With the Regal moving to only 4 cylinders, I almost would like to see the Malibu go the same route. In theory that could ease the jobs of engineers if the V6 was dropped and they only had 4 cylinder engines to worry about. If that were the case though I'd hope we'd still get the turbo 2L as the top engine, just without some of the whiz-bang gizmos and toys that came in the Regal.
I'd love to see a turbo 2L in the Malibu right now! Heck add an AWD option and it would make for the perfect sedan IMHO.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Ford has partnered with Microsoft, so GM should counter that and partner with Apple. Could you imagine an iPhone like interface on the center pod?
Why not? Heck, the Volt center stack already looks like an Apple product!
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Why not? Heck, the Volt center stack already looks like an Apple product!
I was being serious.

Now available: Fuel mileage app so you can maximize gas mileage.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:06 PM

I'd love to see a turbo 2L in the Malibu right now! Heck add an AWD option and it would make for the perfect sedan IMHO.
Totally agree . I've driven few 2.4 a6 Malibu which amazed me for a 4 in a gm sedan . It would only get better from there . Too bad it couldn't be partnered with clutch pedal or at least a real clutchless manual .
Old 03-18-2010, 01:46 PM

That's what Ford's doing. Honest answer though, apple's software crashesmore than Microsoft's too much and their hardware isn't as reliable as Ford's. I dont think the Malibu is a good platform for that though - not hipster or cool enough for apple products

That would be a scary productive partnership. And even a FWD Malibu with turbo and a clutch would rock. Hardcore.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:59 PM

That would be a scary productive partnership. And even a FWD Malibu with turbo and a clutch would rock. Hardcore.
Yep. LNF powered Malibu with either the 6 speed manual or auto would be awesome. Hit it with the 290hp reflash and enjoy. That car at a 2LT price point would be awesome.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Yep. LNF powered Malibu with either the 6 speed manual or auto would be awesome. Hit it with the 290hp reflash and enjoy. That car at a 2LT price point would be awesome.
If I were buying such a car , I would skip over the 3.6 for that( the 3 pedal ) without even a thought , in 2LT trim ...oddly the LT interior I find nicer than the LTZ . The suede seats are sweet .

Quick Reply: 2012 Chevrolet Malibu Revealed In Official Patent Filings