Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 07:14 PM
West South Central Moderator

Talking

Originally Posted by Bob Cosby
I apologize that the point I was trying to make went over your head.

Have a nice day.

Bob

PS....there are quite a few reviews that would disagree with you....unless your only metric is acceleration and top speed.
He must be one of those crazy drag racers
Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Keep in mind one thing - these engines, the 3.7L V6 and the 5.0L Coyote, have been ready and sitting on the shelf for over a year now. Ford made the marketing decision to release the '10 Mustang with the old 4.6/4.0 instead of the new engines. The rationale was that a certain number of buyers would get the '10s just for their new sheetmetal and interior and then a whole new wave of consumers would buy the '11 for it's new powertrains.
The Coyote V8 has been sitting on a shelf? I hadn't heard that. The 3.7 has clearly been out for a while, but not in RWD applications. My take is that they slowed development to get other product to market more quickly.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Z284ever
Keep in mind one thing - these engines, the 3.7L V6 and the 5.0L Coyote, have been ready and sitting on the shelf for over a year now. Ford made the marketing decision to release the '10 Mustang with the old 4.6/4.0 instead of the new engines. The rationale was that a certain number of buyers would get the '10s just for their new sheetmetal and interior and then a whole new wave of consumers would buy the '11 for it's new powertrains.
I just assumed they held back on the 3.7L because the new 5.0L wasn't ready. I don't think it would have looked good to have the '10 with a 305HP V6 and 315HP V8.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM

I apologize that the point I was trying to make went over your head.

Have a nice day.

Bob

PS....there are quite a few reviews that would disagree with you....unless your only metric is acceleration and top speed.
I was quoting Mustangs vs Camaro's... the ones most people can afford (not variations of each car that cost upwards of double the amount of money), and the Mustang has been playing catchup for roughly 20 years when the two cars go head to head model year vs model year. Please, tell me the last time a Mustang GT was faster or more powerful than the same model year Camaro SS? Keep in mind, this thread has been mainly about engines.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by teal98
The Coyote V8 has been sitting on a shelf? I hadn't heard that. The 3.7 has clearly been out for a while, but not in RWD applications. My take is that they slowed development to get other product to market more quickly.
Originally Posted by Z28x
I just assumed they held back on the 3.7L because the new 5.0L wasn't ready. I don't think it would have looked good to have the '10 with a 305HP V6 and 315HP V8.
The plan as I understood it, was that the new powertrains would intro with the freshened '10 Mustang. When Ford decided that it would be a marketing advantage to stagger their release until '11, I suppose their final development could have been slowed. I don't know that for sure though.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
I was quoting Mustangs vs Camaro's... the ones most people can afford (not variations of each car that cost upwards of double the amount of money), and the Mustang has been playing catchup for roughly 20 years when the two cars go head to head model year vs model year. Please, tell me the last time a Mustang GT was faster or more powerful than the same model year Camaro SS? Keep in mind, this thread has been mainly about engines.
I believe the Mustang GT was a little quicker than the IROC-Z (period equivalent to SS) in the late 80s. But I don't see how that really matters in the overall scheme of things.

I think I see your point in that the base Mustang V6 and V8 models may actually be faster than the base Camaro V6 and V8 models in MY 2011 for the first time in a while. On the other hand, there were 7 model years with no Camaro at all, so....

For me, the whole Ford v. Chevy argument gets a little more meaningless each passing year.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:44 PM

Well, thats certainly a loaded question since the previous iteration of the Camaro SS was more or less a special model just like the SVT Mustangs.

Honestly a better comparison would have been when has a Mustang GT been faster than Z/28 (IROC Z, ect). To which I'd say it was pretty even right up till 1993 until 2002 when the Camaro had the advantage. 2003 to 2009 Ford for obvious reasons had the faster car and Camaro with a regular production SS (since there was no Z/28) regained the title in 2009

Now if you really wanna dig deep, IIRC right around 1982 Mustang GT's (and maybe till around 1986 - maybe somebody has some old comparo's archived) had the nod as well, being you know the car that kicked off the second musclecar era.

Originally Posted by teal98
For me, the whole Ford v. Chevy argument gets a little more meaningless each passing year.
Tru'dat, they have until it seems recently been two cars with two different missions and the Camaro vs. Mustang has largely been the invention of the enthusiast.

Honestly from day one the Camaro has been about 10/10ths performance where Mustang with the exception of a few years has been about 7/10ths performance with some 10/10ths cars sprinkled in.

Last edited by bossco; 12-02-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM

And you come back with essentially the same thing...and thus continue to miss the point.

Uncle.

AdioSS....that was a low blow....to me!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:38 PM

I think the point being made was that the Mustang started the Pony Car segment in '64 1/2 and sold over a million before anyone ever heard of a Camaro. The Camaro has been playing catch up in many ways to the segemnt leading Mustang since then and especially now after being out of production for almost 7 years. It's hard to compare performance against any Mustang from 2003 to 2009 as there was no Camaro to compare it to.

And even head to head performance bragging rights have not always translated into sales and profit for the company.

Last edited by 99SilverSS; 12-02-2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM

New V6's Mustang tagline-

"Your teenage sisters car just got faster.."
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by formula79
New V6's Mustang tagline-

"Your teenage sisters car just got faster.."
But now with "My Key" , she'll never get to use her new found power .
Old 12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
West South Central Moderator

Thumbs up

AdioSS....that was a low blow....to me!
It was meant as a joke since I'm more into drag racing than killing cones. I've been around long enough to know a bit of your drag racing history
Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 AM

What I'm saying is... Tell me the last year when the Mustang and Camaro were both produced that the Mustang GT was faster or more powerful than the Camaro Z28/SS (because chevy decided to throw the SS badges on this time around instead of the Z28 badges for the V8 base model). The IROC-Z was the last car the Mustang even had a chance of beating in peformance and that was back in 1992, nearly two decades ago. I understand that GM didn't produce a car in 7 model years. But GM's 1998 offering is still faster and more powerful than Ford's 2010 offering. The Mustang has been behind in power, acceleration and speed for two decades on it's mass produced pony car. I don't dislike Mustangs, but the Mustang has been behind in power, acceleration and speed for decades.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by bossco
Well, thats certainly a loaded question since the previous iteration of the Camaro SS was more or less a special model just like the SVT Mustangs.

Honestly a better comparison would have been when has a Mustang GT been faster than Z/28 (IROC Z, ect). To which I'd say it was pretty even right up till 1993 until 2002 when the Camaro had the advantage. 2003 to 2009 Ford for obvious reasons had the faster car and Camaro with a regular production SS (since there was no Z/28) regained the title in 2009

Now if you really wanna dig deep, IIRC right around 1982 Mustang GT's (and maybe till around 1986 - maybe somebody has some old comparo's archived) had the nod as well, being you know the car that kicked off the second musclecar era.

Tru'dat, they have until it seems recently been two cars with two different missions and the Camaro vs. Mustang has largely been the invention of the enthusiast.

Honestly from day one the Camaro has been about 10/10ths performance where Mustang with the exception of a few years has been about 7/10ths performance with some 10/10ths cars sprinkled in.
What are you talking about??? The Camaro SS is in no way shape or form like the SVT line of Cobras?? The SS is along the same lines as the GT. Someone else please knock this guy back into reality.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by bossco

...And like you said... it was pre-1986 that the Mustang GT got the last "nod" against the Camaro Z-28/IROC. 23 years ago. That was the last time a Mustang GT out performed a Z28(or equivilant) Camaro of the same model year.

So if everyone wants to keep saying that the Mustang has been superior to the Camaro in performance over the past 2+ decades that's fine. The power numbers, acceleration numbers and top speed numbers show that the Camaro has had the Mustangs number for quite a few years. Financial numbers don't mean a thing when you're comparing perfomance. So to the guy who brought up profitability, why did you even bother? That wasn't part of the discussion.

Last edited by bkpliskin; 12-03-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ford Mustang Gets New 305 HP V6, 30 MPG