Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2010 Ford Fusion hybrids rated at 41mpg city

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 AM

2010 Ford Fusion hybrids rated at 41mpg city

http://jalopnik.com/5116593/ford-fus...cient-mid+size

Bests the Camry hybrid by 8mpg
Altima by 6mpg
Malibu by 15mpg
2005 Accord by 16mpg (yes I know they don't make these anymore)
Civic hybrid by 1mpg

Highway rating is 36mpg, Malibu and Camry hybrid are both 34 and so is the new 4cyl. Fusion.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:53 AM

Good numbers! Do you know if those are supposed to be available this spring, or are we waiting for fall?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 AM

Very impressive - I wish Ford the best of luck with this vehicle, because I think they've earned a chance at success with it.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Damn the Fusion is a good car and it just got better
Old 12-23-2008, 10:03 AM

Those are FANTASTIC numbers!

Incidentally, my brother is looking for a commuter car, and out of all the cars he saw (domestic and import), the Fusion seems to fit the best - 2006/2007 are priced REALLY well.

Any indication on the price of Fusion Hybrid?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by muckz
Any indication on the price of Fusion Hybrid?
$27,000, obviously comes with a lot of standard equipment though.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 AM

Impressive? Yes. And not a bad looking car. As much as I like the Malibu, I was never impressed with the Hybrid's numbers, especially when the Ecotec/A6 combination almost matches it in fuel economy.

Still as impressive as the Fusion Hybrid is, it still isn't as innovative as the Chevy Volt will be. However, the problem with the Volt is it will cost significantly more than the Fusion.

I wonder how long it will take for Fusion Hybrid plug-in conversions to start popping up on the internet.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Dan Neil of the LA Times did a review of the Fusion hybrid and got 52 mpg in mixed driving ... that's pretty amazing. The article states that the Fusion's hybrid system is an evolution of the Escape's, so I guess that means it's mostly Toyota technology.

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-neil19-...,1616026.story
Old 12-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by R377
Dan Neil of the LA Times did a review of the Fusion hybrid and got 52 mpg in mixed driving ... that's pretty amazing. The article states that the Fusion's hybrid system is an evolution of the Escape's, so I guess that means it's mostly Toyota technology.

http://www.latimes.com/la-fi-neil19-...,1616026.story
That's very impressive in this hectic MPG eating traffic. And the Fusion isn't a light car either.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Now THIS is what I'm talking about.

Instead of Toyota Priuses that are bought as "look-at-me-I'm saving-the-enviroment" by smug people who don't look beyond the hype, and a Volt that is going to lose GM money every time one rolls off the showroom floor (despite costing as much as a base CTS), we have a viable, profitable, regularly priced, good looking, practical family sedan that actually gets the hybrid job done.... and surprize, surprize... it's made in North America by a US car company.

This is the type of car that if a sales and financial success is going to be the savior of those high powered, rear drive, V8 performance coupes.

The more 40+ mpg bread and butter family cars sold, the easier it is to offer 400 horsepower V8s because CAFE is based on average fuel economy based on a sales weighted average.

Also, if a company makes money on selling the thing (instead of GM's cash hemmoraging Volt), the more money available to keep other vehicles up to date and competitive.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by R377
The article states that the Fusion's hybrid system is an evolution of the Escape's, so I guess that means it's mostly Toyota technology.
Your joking right??? Please tell me you are joking................
Old 12-23-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by robvas
Ford licensed some Toyota patents, although Toyota didn't directly help Ford build their hybrid.

Toyota licensed Ford a patented hybrid control system that links a gasoline engine with an electric motor on the Escape. The new system is Ford developed, and far superior.

The Fusion Hybrid (and its twin, the Mercury Milan Hybrid) is the first vehicle to use Ford’s second generation hybrid system. The company says it has more than 200 distinct inventions and patents pending for the revised version.

Hybrid-electric vehicle systems engineer Gil Portalatin told us that the control logic for the new hybrid system provides much tighter integration of engine operation and power delivery. The new logic goes as far as to vary the engine’s valve timing, fuel delivery, and spark timing to match the power delivered through the electric motor, permitting very aggressive fuel shutdown under light loads. The result is that the 2.5-liter engine shuts itself off twice as much as in the earlier Escape, as the electric system provides more power. In addition, new control logic for the regenerative brakes recaptures up to 94 percent of the braking energy and feeds it to the battery.
When LightningGal asked if you were kidding about that Toyota remark, she definately wasn't asking because she was surprized at the news... she was asking because with the amount of work and patents Ford has on the thing, it's incredible to even think that this is Toyota's handywork.

This system soundly beats Toyota's Hybrid systems.

http://www.hybridcars.com/vehicle/fo...on-hybrid.html
Old 12-23-2008, 08:00 PM

Where are GM's engineers when it comes to designing these class-leading systems? Does GM have anything onthe drawing board to match or beat this system, or are all their eggs in the Volt basket? It sounds like a great system in need of a better looking car.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM

That's great, but this won't do them as much good unless this type of information goes beyond Jalopnik and is pushed by mainstream media outlets such as CNN and the like.

The idea that "Foreign cars get the best gas mileage, while American cars are gas guzzling hogs" is so embedded into the mind of the American public, that it's ridiculous; even here in Detroit.

A lot of people buy cars based on limited information, often based on hype. So the fact that this new Fusion is doing so well relative to it's Japanese counterparts needs to be pushed HEAVILY in advertising and in the media.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pentatonic
That's great, but this won't do them as much good unless this type of information goes beyond Jalopnik and is pushed by mainstream media outlets such as CNN and the like.
Yup. Last night on ABC news, they had a report of a Chinese electric car that would be like the Chevy Volt (it looks just like a Toyota Corrolla), and it would cost $22,000 compared to $40,000 for the Volt, and it gets better battery range than the Volt. They hope to penetrate the US market in two years.

Of course I'm sure there are a ton of issues with that car, but you won't hear about that on the news....only if the American car companies do something bad do you hear about it.

Quick Reply: 2010 Ford Fusion hybrids rated at 41mpg city