Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2007 Tahoe fun to drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:45 PM

2007 Tahoe fun to drive?

Well, sort of I guess - for a truck.

I've had one for the past couple of days as a loaner. I was supposed get a Caddy loaner, but all they had for me was a Malibu or a Tahoe. I took the the Tahoe, since I hadn't driven any of the GMT900's yet.

First, let me say that the 5.3 motor is a real gem. Smooth, eager to rev, sounds good too. For the past two days, I've been trying to see if I can detect when it switches from V8 to V4 to V8 mode. Honestly? I can't. If I wasn't watching the DIC, I'd have no idea. Wonder what the 5.3 would feel like with the six speed? If this motor ever gets into the Colorado, it'll be a blast to drive.

The Tahoe has excellent steering. Nicely weighted, great feel and effort. Exceeded my expectations for a truck. Good job on that GM. The chassis is also much more sure footed than I expected - you can actually toss it around abit, without getting that tipsy feeling.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:16 AM

Careful... you might get hooked.

P.S. My wife always said I drive our Tahoes harder than I drive our Camaros.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:34 AM

Heh, I'm avoiding driving the GMT900's because I know once I do, I'll want to trade in our 04 Av!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 AM

We like our 07 Avalanche. It handles great for a truck...the only complaint my wife has is that it is hard to park...which can be expected for a beast that size.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Actually I'm seriously thinking about trading in both Tahoes for a new Silverado crew and an '08 Malibu. One Tahoe is paid for and the other will be in April. Sssh! Don't tell my wife. She's already approved the purchase of a new Camaro when it returns.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM

My father in law has an 07 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 w/ everything except the back seat DVD system - even that it might have, I just don't remember seeing it.

Cool truck. The ride is a bit noisier than I'd hoped for - was thinking it'd be a significant improvement over the 800s, but instead it was only a small improvement in my observation... at least on the highway where we spent most of our time.

Fun to drive? Nah... if you want a fun to drive SUV there's options out there 10x better... even ones that can tow a decent amount! (The tow-capable uniboxy VW/Porsche/Audi trio comes to mind). But for a body on frame traditional truck-based SUV it's definitely nice. The interior design and quality definitely left me very very impressed. I wish they'd make the leather a bit nicer - not so thick and tough... granted maybe they do that to make it more durable, but the last gen Tahoe had hard leather too and it always ended up looking worn out anyway (at least the ones I saw after some use did)

His has the 20" chrome wheels which I thought were funny looking at first (especially with a tubby 50-something year old white guy driving it)... but the more I see it the more I like it. I still think I'd go with the 17 or 18" (Whatever the standard wheels are) because I value ride quality and cheaper tires.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM
slt

I've put right under 20,000 miles on my '07 Tahoe. Got every option except the Nav and the backup camera. Man I wish I had that backup camera for hooking up the boat trailer, but when we bought the Tahoe, there just wern't many to choose from. It took two weeks just to find the one we ended up with.

Anyways, is it fun to drive? No. But it is very well mannered. My brother drives an '06 denali and the GMT900's are much improved in every way. So far zero issues. I'm a bigger guy and the seats still look new. The leather is stiff, but it does hold up. Favorite trick is the remote start that automatically fires up the seat warmers. You walk out to a warm truck and then hit the button for heated washer fluid and it takes care of the frozen windshield for you as well. Two things I'm not impressed with are the auto fold rear seats and the DOD. The release mechanism is kinda sticky and many time the seat just sits there without folding. The DOD doesn't seem to do much either. In about 80% hwy driving, we've averaged a consistant 15.5 mpg. Pulling a 4,500lb load, mpg drops down to 11mpg.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by slt
Anyways, is it fun to drive? No. But it is very well mannered.
That is my feeling as well - the one I tested generally behaved itself better than the average passenger car from a decade ago, and while I certainly wouldn't say that it was fun to drive, I certainly didn't dread hopping in the driver's seat, either. My hat is off to the GM engineers.