Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2006 JD Power Initial Quality survey is out....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:52 AM

Re: 2006 JD Power Initial Quality survey is out....

Originally Posted by Threxx
Am I not allowed to go on a tangent so drastic as to basically say I have to question JD Power's accuracy in reporting?

Do I have to limit my comments ONLY to JD Power's IQS report or is it possible that a lack of credibility for JD Power as a whole would make me doubt the accuracy of one of their reports?

I mean I sure don't hear an specifics mentioned when consumer reports is questioned - everybody just accepts the fact that they suck. Nobody says "yeah but we're talking about their June 2005 issue on washing machines - do you have any info specifically pertaining to a problem with their annual washing machine reviews?"

No, they don't.

Threads go on tangents. This was a VERY small one if it would be considered one at all.

Thanks.
Yes, threads do go on tangets. Here's my original post:

All JDP does is compile responses from consumers.. so how exactly are they lying? While the previous gen. Malibu did have a few long-term dependability issues (brake rotors come to mind), the car may have been incredibly well put together from the factory: which is a reflection of what this survey is trying to measure. On what do you base your judgement Threxx?
You see, I recognized the tanget - and was asking for details to back up your opinion. Apparently, it's of your belief, that because you have problems with JDPA's VDS, then the JDPA's IQS must be equally flawed. I see them as completely different entities; probably each run by their own "product teams" - and I'm sure they each have their own criteria. As you might have guessed, I don't share your skepticism. Just curious: if it is of your belief that the JDPA studies are flawed, are you critical of Lexus's results on those same surveys? Or do you only question highly-ranked domestic brands/models?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:11 PM

Re: 2006 JD Power Initial Quality survey is out....

Originally Posted by cmutt
You see, I recognized the tanget - and was asking for details to back up your opinion. Apparently, it's of your belief, that because you have problems with JDPA's VDS, then the JDPA's IQS must be equally flawed. I see them as completely different entities; probably each run by their own "product teams" - and I'm sure they each have their own criteria. As you might have guessed, I don't share your skepticism. Just curious: if it is of your belief that the JDPA studies are flawed, are you critical of Lexus's results on those same surveys? Or do you only question highly-ranked domestic brands/models?
Their results on Lexus could be relatively indicative or they could be flawed as well. After seeing how drastically the results changed in just one year, despite any change in testing methods, I'm even more skeptical. And I'm saying this as a WHOLE despite any reason I may have to praise the survey because what you guys seem to think is my one and only true love for a brand - lexus - is highly ranked as it is every year.

That's all the more reason I should have to not question the validity of their surveys - but I still do.

And for what it's worth I've been a member of JD Power's Power panel for the last 2 years straight and I can't even begin to comment on how flawed I've found the wording of their questions and the scope of their questions to actually be. I've taken probably 15 or so surveys to date - only one regarding cars. They do surveys on a crap load of stuff.