Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

2004 Mystichrome Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 09:26 AM

There was a project Camaro in Super Chevy one year where they took a LS1 car, put a Trans-am front spoiler and painted it with similar paint which faded from dark blue to dark purple depending on what angle you looked at it from. It was dropped and on some ricey looking 17s (the company suprisingliy put smaller tires on it, 235's...) but it looked oh-so-sweet for the most part.

I wonder if the Camaro had had the Mustang's popularity, GM would have tried stuff like this.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by Derek Smalls
i could have sworn that the firebird had that color-changing chameleon green paint in '95,i may be wrong and the colors or type of paint may be different,since i've never seen a '96 mystic cobra in person.i wish i had a '96 mystic,and i wish ford would stop coming out with such cool mustangs so i can wait on the new one.mystic cobra,mach 1 in orange or yellow.....c'mon ford,i'm trying to wait!!!
My Camaro had that paint (called "something" Teal). It was basiclally green, but changed to blue at certain angles.

Last year I ran over freeway debris at night & broke the lower portion of my fender. When the insurence company refused to paint the whole car (the hood & front piece were slightly faded & wouldn't have matched) and I found out I could paint the whole car a solid color for the price of painting that fender the original color, I went went with a custom mixture that's between the original color & turquoise blue. Funny thing is, it matches the blue shades of the original paint.

Last edited by guionM; 04-17-2003 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-17-2003, 03:16 PM

I like it myself, I think its unique and I've always loved the 96 Mystic Cobra's. I like dark cobalt blue, and onyx black, so to me the mystichrome fits great! This will be the ultimate Mustang till the new one and even then if the Cobra is delayed until 06 and the 05 GT is like 300 hp it will be the ultimate Mustang for years to come. And like the 96 Mystic Cobra's somebody always wonts one, so resale is better than a standard Cobra.

Of course the dealers will be marking these things up bigtime!
Old 04-17-2003, 04:36 PM

a paint color that looks like it should've stayed in the 90's IMO...Looking at it, I just went through a mini timewarp back to high school...all the cobra needs now is some neon underneath, and some JL Audio stickers on the back window...
Old 04-17-2003, 05:39 PM

Yup, my buddy has a 96/97/98? Cobra (not sure which year but it's the 4.6 motor with the previous, slightly more rounded body style than the current one) with the limited edition mystic paint and he's been rear-ended twice. Shoulda heard him bitchin about the cost of the paint and the repair work!
Old 04-17-2003, 08:07 PM

it's still a ford and looks like crap
Old 04-17-2003, 09:11 PM

z28marcus - they only made mystics in 96, and there were only 1999 of them made (although some say there were 2000)
Old 04-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Banned

that looks tight!!!!! and im a z28 man so thats saying a lot
Old 04-20-2003, 10:37 AM

well it's a first for manufacturers but the import guy have been using chamelon paint for ages... i once met a guy with a hopped up trans am with that exact same paint.. it looked pretty cool, i just didn't like how it looked poo-brown from some angles
Old 04-21-2003, 02:23 PM

Re: 2004 Mystichrome Cobra

Originally posted by RiceEating5.0
Did you know that the 96 Cobra was the first production car ever to feature color shifting paint? i didn't.
Wow, hurray for Ford. You do realize Mystic Teal Metallic was released on F-Bodies in '95 right?
Old 04-21-2003, 02:28 PM
slt

Originally posted by Magnum Force
a paint color that looks like it should've stayed in the 90's IMO...Looking at it, I just went through a mini timewarp back to high school...all the cobra needs now is some neon underneath, and some JL Audio stickers on the back window...
Sweet, i had JL Audio written across my windshield........
Old 04-21-2003, 02:46 PM

Re: Re: 2004 Mystichrome Cobra

Originally posted by SuperDave479
Wow, hurray for Ford. You do realize Mystic Teal Metallic was released on F-Bodies in '95 right?
Mystic Teal did not "color shift" it just looked kinda green from some angles and kinda blue from others (consider the fact that teal is a blue-green color). It is nothing like the '96 mystic cobra, which completely changed from GREEN to PURPLE to BROWN. Sounds like you've never actually seen one of these cars.

I still don't know why other manufacturers don't offer colors like this as an option. Cars like the C5, New Beatle, and Z4 would look sharp with it.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2004 Mystichrome Cobra

Originally posted by WERM
Mystic Teal did not "color shift" it just looked kinda green from some angles and kinda blue from others (consider the fact that teal is a blue-green color). It is nothing like the '96 mystic cobra, which completely changed from GREEN to PURPLE to BROWN. Sounds like you've never actually seen one of these cars.

I still don't know why other manufacturers don't offer colors like this as an option. Cars like the C5, New Beatle, and Z4 would look sharp with it.
Just because it was only 2 colors didn't mean it didn't color shift. Plus, it looked a hell of a lot better. I'd rather my car not shift from green to purple and brown. Yuk.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2004 Mystichrome Cobra

Originally posted by SuperDave479
Just because it was only 2 colors didn't mean it didn't color shift. Plus, it looked a hell of a lot better. I'd rather my car not shift from green to purple and brown. Yuk.
Lol, yea... It shifted from Blue-Green to Green-Blue. Hell of a color shift.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by 99SilverSS
I like it myself, I think its unique and I've always loved the 96 Mystic Cobra's. I like dark cobalt blue, and onyx black, so to me the mystichrome fits great! This will be the ultimate Mustang till the new one and even then if the Cobra is delayed until 06 and the 05 GT is like 300 hp it will be the ultimate Mustang for years to come. And like the 96 Mystic Cobra's somebody always wonts one, so resale is better than a standard Cobra.

Of course the dealers will be marking these things up bigtime!
I agree. I like the package. I especially like the risk they are taking to go with matched leather interior!

99SilverSS, you are dead-on about the resale values...
check this link out... Mystic Cobra - nothing under $11k and they go up to $21k on Collector Car Trader. That ain't bad for a 7-y/o car!

Originally posted by Z28Marcus
Yup, my buddy has a 96/97/98? Cobra (not sure which year but it's the 4.6 motor with the previous, slightly more rounded body style than the current one) with the limited edition mystic paint and he's been rear-ended twice. Shoulda heard him bitchin about the cost of the paint and the repair work!
Not flamin' ya dude, but didn't your buddy have insurance ?!?!
I agree that matching is hard (that's been proven), but as far as costs go, insurance companies should be the ones to bear that load if the vehicle is covered, so why does it matter?
Also, if Marcus' buddy was rear-ended, it was the other person's fault - they should have been paying, not him!

Last edited by ProudPony; 04-22-2003 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 2004 Mystichrome Cobra