Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

1st gen to 4th gen no similarities why cant 5th gen be a new design?direction?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 12:36 PM

Geeze...I didn't say that the hood was a Camaro only trademark.I was just saying that it was a similar styling que among each gen.Sure each type of car has a long this,small that round this square that.I'm just pointing out the similarities that each gen shared.

Maybe I should define what I consider obvious design cues:

- Corvette's 4 circular(ish) taillights.
- Corvette's concealed headlamps (which is a huge mistake if they do go away with the C6)
- Camaro's taillight treatment that carried over from 81 to 82.
- Monte Carlo's traditionally upright taillamps configuration.

Those things are what gives that particular car it's familiarity.An identity,making it familiar to people to see previous generations,in effect they can see it as that car's design history.That is what I was talking about.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by 91Zman

Maybe I should define what I consider obvious design cues:

- Corvette's 4 circular(ish) taillights.
- Corvette's concealed headlamps (which is a huge mistake if they do go away with the C6)
- Camaro's taillight treatment that carried over from 81 to 82.
- Monte Carlo's traditionally upright taillamps configuration.

Those things are what gives that particular car it's familiarity.An identity,making it familiar to people to see previous generations,in effect they can see it as that car's design history.That is what I was talking about.
Agreed..... That is what I was talking about too... --> -->
Old 01-07-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Darth Xed
Agreed..... That is what I was talking about too... --> -->
Ok so we can finally agree ...but they are not givens
Old 01-07-2003, 01:07 PM

Little late to this thread, but let me get back to the original point.

I think there are significant, if small compared to the whole car, styling similarities, or a design lineage if you will, between the generations.

First of all, you can pretty much throw out the 1st gen, it was built off the Chevy2/Nova platform so designers didn't have the freedom they wanted. The 1970 was the first F-body designed exclusively to be such.

But what we got was a long hood, short rear deck, sloping rear glass, low seating position and low roof/ride height. Also got long doors with no vent glass behind the windows, just a solid C pillar.

The 3rd gen carried over the previously mentioned tail light treatment, and the blackened headlight pockets. The grille was also very similar in execution to the final 2nd gen Camaro grill. The headlights remained in the same basic position, although integrated into the body much better.

4th gen carried over the same basic overall dimensions from the 3rtd gen, same headlight location, the blackened headlight pockets, same hatch style rear, even the tail lights had that slight wrap around the edges. The LS1 cars brought back the curves over the headlights and the big mouth grille, trying to emulate the early 2nd gen.

In fact the 4th gen is so similar (everybody knows that the chassis is almost identical under the skin except for the front suspension). Its as if you took a thirdgen and inflated it, softening the crisp lines.

So, I think there is a whole lot of carryover of design cues from the various generations.

I like the new Mustang pics being floated around, but at the same time I think the interpretation of the Shelby stangs is a bit too obvious, maybe too literal. I would like to see a 5th gen have similar emphasis on heritage styling cues, but with a more forward thinking overall shape, like the 350Z.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by 91Zman
I still don't understand why he would say that there aren't any similarities between each generation?I just can't see how he came to his conclusion?Must not be much of a Camaro fan to not know the similarities between them.
Im with you 91Zman...I dont know, but I can see a pretty clean metamorphasis between the 67 all the way through the 02 camaro... There are simularities weither you want to notice them or not