Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

180 m.p.g.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 10:21 PM

180 m.p.g.

What is significant here is the reaction of the manufacturers

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/02/bu...er=rssuserland
Old 04-03-2005, 12:43 AM

Re: 180 m.p.g.

many auto manufactures could derasticly increase fuel ecconomy, but they dont have the want or need... the brakes are a brilliant idea to bring addition energy in. withing 10 years I wouldnt be supprised if trucks were getting 30+ mpg and most cars are 70+... but no auto manufacture wants to jump into it, they want to do it slowly so the idea's sell for years.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by NewbieWar
many auto manufactures could derasticly increase fuel ecconomy, but they dont have the want or need... the brakes are a brilliant idea to bring addition energy in. withing 10 years I wouldnt be supprised if trucks were getting 30+ mpg and most cars are 70+... but no auto manufacture wants to jump into it, they want to do it slowly so the idea's sell for years.
yea, like computers, they sell the performance slowly (getting a little faster each year)
it's called delayed obsolescence i believe
Old 04-03-2005, 02:04 PM

Maybe I read the article wrong, but putting more batteries in your Hybrid, and charging them overnight does not = 180MPG overall. To say that ignores all the energy you pumped into the car overnight.

On a side note, it's still interesting that even Hybrids have people modifying them for "higher performance."
Old 04-03-2005, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by WERM
Maybe I read the article wrong, but putting more batteries in your Hybrid, and charging them overnight does not = 180MPG overall. To say that ignores all the energy you pumped into the car overnight.

On a side note, it's still interesting that even Hybrids have people modifying them for "higher performance."
Higher performance, well yea they are trying to get outa double digits for 0-60
Old 04-03-2005, 02:13 PM

heh, plug in diesel electric hybrids could save the world (well if they could meet particulate emissions standards in the US of A), but until they have a 10 dollar gas tax per gallon, people will scoff at the idea and dream the silly dream about hydrogen powered cars.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
heh, plug in diesel electric hybrids could save the world (well if they could meet particulate emissions standards in the US of A), but until they have a 10 dollar gas tax per gallon, people will scoff at the idea and dream the silly dream about hydrogen powered cars.
If GM made Every Silverado get 40mpg They would out sell the F-150 easy. Americans will buy the Tech, but no one makes it. You can't blame people for buying gas hungy full size SUVs when no one make a 30mpg+ full size SUV, and to say people should dump their big cars/trucks and tiny ones is about as dumb as saying every one should drive a motorcycle. Right now the consummers have no choice. Gas tax is the worse Idea every, that will only speed inflation and slow the economy to a grinding hult.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:06 PM

I dunno about you guys, but I can't wait for this to hit the market

TOKYO -- Toshiba Corporation today announced a breakthrough in lithium-ion batteries that makes long recharge times a thing of the past. The company's new battery can recharge 80% of a battery's energy capacity in only one minute, approximately 60 times faster than the typical lithium-ion batteries in wide use today, and combines this fast recharge time with performance-boosting improvements in energy density.

The new battery fuses Toshiba's latest advances in nano-material technology for the electric devices sector with cumulative know-how in manufacturing lithium-ion battery cells. A breakthrough technology applied to the negative electrode uses new nano-particles to prevent organic liquid electrolytes from reducing during battery recharging. The nano-particles quickly absorb and store vast amount of lithium ions, without causing any deterioration in the electrode.

The excellent recharging characteristics of new battery are not its only performance advantages. The battery has a long life cycle, losing only 1% of capacity after 1,000 cycles of discharging and recharging, and can operate at very low temperatures. At minus 40 degrees centigrade, the battery can discharge 80% of its capacity, against 100% in an ambient temperature of 25 degree centigrade).

Toshiba will bring the new rechargeable battery to commercial products in 2006. Initial applications will be in the automotive and industrial sectors, where the slim, small-sized battery will deliver large amounts of energy while requiring only a minute to recharge. For example, the battery's advantages in size, weight and safety highly suit it for a role as an alternative power source for hybrid electric vehicles.

Toshiba expects that the high energy density and excellent recharge performance of the new battery will assure its successful application as a new energy solution in many areas of society.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by unvc92camarors
yea, like computers, they sell the performance slowly (getting a little faster each year)
it's called delayed obsolescence i believe
Utter B.S.

If any one of the manufacturers could bring out a full size truck right now that racked up 50mpg highway they would do it in a heartbeat.

Why? Because they could sell them at a stupendous premium and make boatloads of money, that's why.

That's the same nonsense as the 100mpg carburator crap that used to fly around....

See, the speech was that "they" (some evil group that no one can really put their fingers on...) had the technology for years for a 100mpg carburator, but held it back because "they" were in cahoots with the oil companies.

NEWSFLASH: There isn't enough energy in a gallon of gas to propel a small car at any reasonable speed for 100 miles, period.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:27 PM

I believe it was Jolhn Lingenfelter(but don't quote me on that) that had a gadget or something that he claimed would make a family stationwagon get aprox 60 mpg and run a 100mph...I believe it was in Popular Mechanics....I'll have to try to dig it up.
In the same issue there was a German engineer that developed a 2-cylinder, with a special cooling system that also got exceptional milage at highway speeds and stayed really cool.
That was the last that was EVER heard about either of those ideas...
Old 04-03-2005, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by PacerX
Utter B.S.

If any one of the manufacturers could bring out a full size truck right now that racked up 50mpg highway they would do it in a heartbeat.

Why? Because they could sell them at a stupendous premium and make boatloads of money, that's why.

That's the same nonsense as the 100mpg carburator crap that used to fly around....

See, the speech was that "they" (some evil group that no one can really put their fingers on...) had the technology for years for a 100mpg carburator, but held it back because "they" were in cahoots with the oil companies.

NEWSFLASH: There isn't enough energy in a gallon of gas to propel a small car at any reasonable speed for 100 miles, period.
they would make more money if they slowly made engines more efficient, while still not being on the oil companies **** list, in my opinion, let cummins make a hybrid deseil, let it get instead of 18 mpg let it get 25, 30 mpg... its still not worth the extra 6k for the desiel, and its still not worth it for the extra 4k for the hybrid... its all about what people are willing to pay, Toyota had a concept that would make driving 100% safe without accedents just no one wants to pay 80k for a regular car... but luxurary cars have to lead the way and right now luxurary cars are looking at performance not efficency
Old 04-03-2005, 08:00 PM

"luxurary" ??? LMAO....

Thank you Z28x and PacerX for responding to this drivel. I started to and just couldn't bring myself to type up a response.

60mpg out of a 4000 lb station wagon? I doubt that's physically possible either. I doubt there's enough energy in a gallon of gas to do that with nothing but a fuel system modification. Maybe if you put a super tall rear gear in the car it would do it, but you'd have no power for pulling even slight hills.

Post it up if you find it though.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 PM

if a human being w/ usually about .5-4 hp at max, can propel themselves and a bicycle (assuming a 250 lb total) to 20 mph even higher on flat land... then a similarly they can design cars that can be more efficiant... big rigs take 80,000lbs accross the country at 6 mpg... then something that is 8,000lbs should be able to get 60mpg... but for some reason its not built,

I know that w/ a sterling engine powered by the exhuast and the coolant of an engine one could generate an extra 50+ hp out of nothing

Last edited by NewbieWar; 04-03-2005 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:38 AM

I believe in the Lithium Ion batteries. I have been saying for years, that when these are quicker to charge, and cheaper to make, that's when we will start to see things really happen.

It looks like Toshiba has hit that mark. If you can get a 80% charge in 1 minute with no battery memory, you are golden. And an simple battery charger could be hooked to brakes to charge the battery every time you brake.

You're not going to race them, but they will get you around, for good distances.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:42 AM

One more thing regarding charging cars with electricity. How much coal does an electric company burn, or waste does a nuke plant create to charge cars all night long? Probably way more pollution than gasoline emmissions.

Quick Reply: 180 m.p.g.