Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

$35,995 for the 425hp Charger SRT-8!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 07:02 AM
Banned

$35,995 for the 425hp Charger SRT-8!

Now it's official!

You're read it correctly.

The MSRP of the Charger SRT-8 is going to be $35,995!

From where I stand, that's was sort of pricetag that the Cadillac CTS-V should have carried.

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that only MOPAR seems to be interested in offering performance for reasonable prices. The prospect of a Challenger coupe only seems closer and more attractive while the supposed upcoming Camaro seems less and less viable.

Sometimes, appearances can be deceptive. Sometimes, not.

All I can say is that MOPAR is hot, GM is not.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:04 AM

Re: $35,995 for the 425hp Charger SRT-8!

If thats right, they are not going to be able to make enough to satisfy demand. DCX has really been on the ball making the lx cars affordable.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by falchulk
If thats right, they are not going to be able to make enough to satisfy demand. DCX has really been on the ball making the lx cars affordable.
No kidding! To put things into perspective, the $6,000 upgrade from a base Charger R/T to the SRT-8 is downright cheap! It certainly offers better value than the $2,500 cost of upgrading to the silly Daytona, or even the $1,600 that buys you the overpriced "Road Track" suspension package.

The SRT-8 is the Charger to buy if you can afford it - or even find it!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by redzed

From where I stand, that's was sort of pricetag that the Cadillac CTS-V should have carried.
Oh for crying out loud. One's a Dodge, one's a Cadillac. If you can't figure out the difference there is no help for you. The CTS-V has sold to projections so I think it is doing just fine. The SRT-8 also weighs over 4100 pounds...that's some heft to get moving. Aren't you the same guy blasting the Trailblazer SS, with 400 HP, weighing about the same, and costing less???

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that only MOPAR seems to be interested in offering performance for reasonable prices.
There's also a car called Mustang GT that offers a good amount of performance at an attractive price. I dunno maybe you've heard of it? With that said...

The prospect of a Challenger coupe only seems closer and more attractive while the supposed upcoming Camaro seems less and less viable.
What doesn't seem "viable" about a new Camaro? The rumors persist that a Challenger coupe would be more niche and "upper crust", meaning a Hemi version would be priced in the $30,000 range, well above the Mustang GT/Camaro (whatever base V8 designation).
Old 08-19-2005, 07:31 AM

And not to mention there built of the same platform as some of DCX's other cars. Thats a reason why they can be sold cheap. Just like they did with the K cars back in the day.

And yeah, ones a Dodge and the other is a Cadialac. Its like comparing a accord to the 5 series. And I am still more than sure the CTS-V will not have a problem beating that car. It might be close on the 1/4, but I think on a road corse it wont even be close.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:48 AM

The CTS-V has often been referred to by the press as the "American M3/M5". I don't see any such proclimations for the SRT-8...not that it's a bad car, far from it, but it does illustrate the different plains these cars play on.

Why don't we just call the SRT line like it is? It's the obvious choice for enthusiasts compared to Impala SS or Grand Prix GXP. That is the slightly more "downmarket" area the LX line rolls in.

Last edited by Z28Wilson; 08-19-2005 at 07:51 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
The CTS-V has often been referred to by the press as the "American M3/M5". I don't see any such proclimations for the SRT-8...not that it's a bad car, far from it, but it does illustrate the different plains these cars play on.

Why don't we just call the SRT line like it is? It's the obvious choice for enthusiasts compared to Impala SS or Grand Prix GXP. That is the slightly more "downmarket" area the LX line rolls in.

Cmon now, the SRT line is not in competition with the Impala ss or the GXP!! The Charger RT has that space covered. The Charger/Magnum SRT8 and 300 SRT8 are in a much higher class period.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:57 AM

Well, it is a high price, but it gives enthusiasts with a family a car to want. Their family would be able to ride in a good sized, comfortable car, and the enthusiast gets a fun factor.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by number77
Well, it is a high price, but it gives enthusiasts with a family a car to want. Their family would be able to ride in a good sized, comfortable car, and the enthusiast gets a fun factor.

Thats not a high price for that package. it's less then a lot of SUV's and in line with an 03/04 Cobra. It's also just a tad higher then the GTO. For a 4 door car with tons of space that should run with a LS1 powerd Camaro...............that's damn cheap to me.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by falchulk
Cmon now, the SRT line is not in competition with the Impala ss or the GXP!! The Charger RT has that space covered. The Charger/Magnum SRT8 and 300 SRT8 are in a much higher class period.

I agree with your rankings that R/T covers Impy SS, and GXP, and SRT is above that... but...

I don't think that really makes them compete with a CTS-V.

It's kind like saying that the Mustang Cobra was really a Corvette or even Z06 competitor...

While they both make big power, they aren't the same type of car.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Darth Xed
I agree with your rankings that R/T covers Impy SS, and GXP, and SRT is above that... but...

I don't think that really makes them compete with a CTS-V.

It's kind like saying that the Mustang Cobra was really a Corvette or even Z06 competitor...

While they both make big power, they aren't the same type of car.
I dont think they compete with the CTS V, thats Redzeds thought. I dont think they compete with anything but themselves. There is nothing on the market to match them. They are in a class of their own.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by redzed
Now it's official!

You're read it correctly.

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that only MOPAR seems to be interested in offering performance for reasonable prices. The prospect of a Challenger coupe only seems closer and more attractive while the supposed upcoming Camaro seems less and less viable.
That is a good price, be you seem to be forgeting the 400HP LS2 GTO that starts at $33K. That looks like a better value than the SRT-8. GTO = better interior, less money, lighter, faster, manual or automatic tranny. The Charger is nice If you want a 4 door though. Ford also has a a 450HP+ Mustang coming out at around the same price as the SRT-8 Charger. Even though they are two different types of vehicles GM's 400HP TrailBlazer SS is $33,600, so that is two GM vehicles with 400HP that cost less than a SRT-8 with more on the way from GM (¢@m@®0 )

CTS-V is not even in the same league as a Charger other than in Engine size and power. That is like saying Mercedes AMG's should be priced the same as an Impala SS

Last edited by Z28x; 08-19-2005 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 AM

If you want to be completely candid about the LX SRT lineup, you also have to mention a couple of shortcomings. Why does Chrysler refuse to certify a stick in the LX line? A perfect performance car should have the option. Why do the things have to weigh more than 2 tons? Why is the gas milage so abismal (especially compared to GM's LSx V8s)?

Don't get me wrong I think these cars are pretty fantastic for what you get and the price you're getting it at. But they aren't perfect, and I can't help but think similar cars could (and will?) be executed even better by GM or even Ford.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Z28x
That is a good price, be you seem to be forgeting the 400HP LS2 GTO that starts at $33K. That looks like a better value than the SRT-8. GTO = better interior, less money, lighter, faster, manual or automatic tranny. The Charger is nice If you want a 4 door though. Ford also has a a 450HP+ Mustang coming out at around the same price as the SRT-8 Charger.

CTS-V is not even in the same league as a Charger other than in Engine size and power. That is like saying Mercedes AMG's should be priced the same as an Impala SS
The GTO is not faster then the SRT8's. Hell a non broken in Magnum ran a 13.1 in recent articles. The 300 SRT8 has ran 12.9's. The weight diffrence is only about 300lbs or so between the GTO and Charger. The interior in the RT Charger is pretty nice and the SRT8 should not be any diffrent.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
If you want to be completely candid about the LX SRT lineup, you also have to mention a couple of shortcomings. Why does Chrysler refuse to certify a stick in the LX line? A perfect performance car should have the option. Why do the things have to weigh more than 2 tons? Why is the gas milage so abismal (especially compared to GM's LSx V8s)?

Don't get me wrong I think these cars are pretty fantastic for what you get and the price you're getting it at. But they aren't perfect, and I can't help but think similar cars could (and will?) be executed even better by GM or even Ford.
Why dont they have wings instead of wheels?? Or at least a pit crew full of angry midgets that live in the trunk waiting to change flat tires and kick peoples *** when they cut you off???????

WTF?????

Quick Reply: $35,995 for the 425hp Charger SRT-8!