Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

what's the difference road racing and autocrossing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 02:45 AM

Post what's the difference road racing and autocrossing?

simply put, what's the difference?
Also, are there any road racing events that don't require a cage and you can keep your car street legal?

I looked into the Camaro/Mustang challenge, looks like fun(and it'sd not hard to find 85-86 305 z28's around here for about 1k) but I'm looking for something that I can compete in with my 4th gen ad still drive it to/from work and school everyday.
Old 06-15-2002, 09:41 AM

autocross - one car at a time against the clock, usually a slow speed course made by setting orange cones in a parking lot, usually one (maybe 2) lap

road racing - many cars at once, race track, many laps

There is a hybrid (Solo I) which is basically an autocross using a race track, maybe with one or more chicanes to slow it down a bit

Road racing generally requires substantial safety equipment. Even Solo I requires more than a parking lot autocross. The most streetable variety of road racing is SCCA's Showroom Stock, but I don't know if they have a class anymore for f-bodies and almost no mods are allowed. I raced SS for several years with two street driven cars, VW Scirocco and Fiat X1/9, which I drove to the track. Few people do that these days.

Sounds like autocross is what you're looking for. If you go, don't overworry about mods or going fast your first time, just make sure the car is safe. There's plenty of time to worry about going fast after you see if this is something you want to do, and you'll know a lot more.

------------------
2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS
KBDDs, BMR STB and Panhard, 245/50-16 GSCs

[This message has been edited by V6Bob (edited June 15, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by V6Bob (edited June 15, 2002).]
Old 06-16-2002, 10:45 AM

Thumbs up

There are lots of "Driver's Education", Open track and Lapping events at tracks all over the country.

California is filthy with them, lucky bastards.

It's basically someone who has a street car that they want to get onto a road course for fun. No timing, limited/controlled passing and drivers are segregated into run groups with similar experience and cars.

I abandoned AX for this. It's a lot more fun!
Old 06-20-2002, 02:08 PM

Cool

After my first "driving event" I haven't done an autocross since. Racing around cones in the parking lot or flying at triple digit speeds? Once you do it, you'll be hooked. I am. IMHO

------------------
90 IROC,394 ci,vortech,SR intake, Accel DFI, MSD 72lb. injectors,Accel injector cntrl,Tremec TKO, 9" Ford,NX 150 HP shot, Spohn adj ctrl arms-sway bars-race tqe arm-,Ground Control coil overs & camber plates,EDL tower brace, roll bar,Kirkey seat
my pics
Old 06-20-2002, 03:00 PM

I agree with the general sentiment about autocross versus open track, once you're on a "real" track, you never want to go back. BUT, I have to say that this spring I've done my first two autocrosses, and find them much more useful for getting the feel of the car's limits, working on driver "quickness" (feet, hands, eyes), etc. My "big track" lap times have improved significantly, and I really recommend folks do a mix of both events, even if one isn't as enjoyable.

Dave

------------------
1997 LPE 383/n2o Camaro Z28 Convertible
12.39@112.2, 1.76 60' (na) 11.27@124.6, 1.76 60' (n2o)
LT1 Diagnostics, New to Nitrous? Northern California Racing Club
Old 06-20-2002, 04:14 PM

I sorta skipped the AutoX stuff and went straight for the track.

I am definately hooked and can't get enough seat time.

------------------
96 Z28 M6-Lots of bolt ons!

Smitty's Speed Shop
My 1996 Z-28

Road Racing Pics
Old 06-20-2002, 08:59 PM

We are lucky in Canada where Solo 1 is alive and well. Most cars are street driven and a cage is not a legal necessity although some competitors use them. The difference between wheel to wheel racing and Solo 1 is like qualifying vs full racing . There is no saving the car , no worrying about back markers or being one. Its only you vs the track , not vs aomeone else on your fender or bumper . WTW racing is in some ways more competitive but Solo1 is much more about extracting the last hundredth from your car. It is reasonably rare to see road racers match their qualifying times where as in Solo 1 you can never be finessed by someone else. If you don't win , it's your fault.

------------------
'97 M6 Kenny Brown SFCs, Koni SA , Eibach Prokits ,LG adjustable PHB , 1LE LCAs , GW upper control arms, K&N FIPK , custom bent Hurst LS1 brakes and Torsen .
Old 06-21-2002, 05:34 PM

I've done substantial autocrossing, a few track days, and 10 years of wheel to wheel.

Autocrossing - great competition (more than many can handle), easy to do while having a life.

Track days - challenging, speed, but no serious competition.

Wheel to wheel - combines speed and competition, but requires substantial life sacrifices to do even halfway right. In particular, WTW racing and having a nice street car at the same time requires more money and time than almost anyone here has. I didn't have a really nice street car until I quit racing. Also, more chance of actually getting hurt.

There's no best, only what's best for you. Personally I prefer autocross to track days.

------------------
2000 Firebird convert, chameleon/tan, M5, Y87, TCS
KBDDs, BMR STB and Panhard, 245/50-16 GSCs