Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

twin tube or mono tube shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 08:18 PM

twin tube or mono tube shocks

I'm upgrading my suspension and plan on going with the LG G2 coilovers. Now I want the added handling but I also want the luxiury of adjustable shocks. I'm debating weather or not to go with the bilstens that are provided with the kit (non adjustable) or Koni Duel adjustables.

I know that Bilstens are a momo tube design and the konis are a twin tube. Whats the advantages and disadvantages of twin tube and momo tube designs? I know that mono tube displaces more oil than the twin tube, but these are gas shocks. Whats that have to do with their performance?

The revalved Bilstens sound good and all but If I ever change the springs then I have to send the shocks out along with dough to get them revalved. I don't want that.

Also how high of a spring rate can these all these shocks take?
Old 07-15-2003, 08:59 PM

forgot to mention that this is my daily driver.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:25 AM

Koni double adjustable would be what I would go with (I run single adjustable, didn't have the big bucks). I'm running 500 lb springs with my Koni's but they'll take a lot more.

How much are the LG coil overs?
Old 07-17-2003, 02:21 PM

The difference between mono-tube and twin-tube shocks is measureable, but much less important than proper valving is. In other words a crappy valving on a mono-tube by far trumps good valving on a twin-tube unit.

IMHO, springs over 500 pounds on a street driven car are just too stiff. Let's not forget that stock are about 290 lbs/in., and even 1LE springs are 360. That's not a small issue, and that's just in the front of the car.

One of the biggest benefits to the 4th gen is superior low-speed damping vs. the stock shocks. That's what makes the car turn-in, not point the nose at the sky on the gas and makes the car feel responsive overall. Many folks install heavy rate springs to get that feeling, and it doesn't work. I had a guy yesterday who installed some springs that are a lot heavier than I ever use along with some stock shocks. He has just as much bobbing and weaving and vagueness as he did with his stock springs. He'd have been better off with some really good shocks and softer springs. That lets the suspension work over bumps and the shocks damp out the movements. Stiff springs don't want to move as much over those bumps.

MHO
Old 07-17-2003, 02:23 PM

No need to be humble Sam! Why don't you pass along some of those driving skills so I can be humble too!

I don't guess begging or bribing would get you down for our Evolution School would it?
Old 07-17-2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by 01 FS Z28
The difference between mono-tube and twin-tube shocks is measureable, but much less important than proper valving is.
Sam,

Could you elaborate on this a little more? In other words what are the pros/cons of each in terms of ride quality, performance, etc...

Also are you still having supply problems getting Bilsteins or has that been resolved?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by Soma07
Sam,

Could you elaborate on this a little more? In other words what are the pros/cons of each in terms of ride quality, performance, etc...

Also are you still having supply problems getting Bilsteins or has that been resolved?

Thanks!
I can't expound on it much more here. It's complicated.
The differences are small. It's the valving that is most important by leaps and bounds. If the valving is similar, only then would I be worried about mono vs. twin tube. Ride quality is much more a factor of spring rates and valving than shock style, performance is so similar I'd say it's a non-issue.

Bilstein currently has stock.
Old 07-17-2003, 04:01 PM

Thanks Sam