Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Suspension Mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 02:23 PM

Suspension Mods

Im looking to improve handling on the street - don't expect to be auto-crossing or anything but would like the car to feel tight. Car has original shocks/springs, (73k). Was going to go with Bilsteins and probably a front sway-bar and associated bushings. Question is do I need to replace the springs as well. I don't wan't to lower the car. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:49 PM

To make the car feel tight and to allow the suspension work at it's best, the first thing to do would be to add subframe connectors, You'll notice the improvement in tightness immediately.
Old 02-01-2003, 05:00 PM

i second the SFC...

it will be a good idea to upgrade the shocks. specially with 73K miles on them. if you don't want to lower the car, see if you can find some 1le springs. you could also look into SS/WS6 springs, someone told me once they were the same as 1le...not sure though...do some more research.

i do know that putting BMR 32/21mm solid sway bars on my Z made if feel like a completly different animal!! and for just over $300 shipped including all bushings and endlinks it's a hellofa deal.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:03 PM

I setup my car to be better on the street w/some bias to autox.

I would vote for a STB & swaybar w/poly bushings if you want that tight feeling--others prefer SFC first--just get both.

And those stock shocks stink, especially the rear ones. I'm pretty happy with my setup (check sig), but I'm not doing any high speed (road racing) racing just yet. Mine is 99% daily driver, and most of the reset autox & some drag racing.

My remaining complaints about my car is when I accelerate out of turns the rear wants to come out a little too easily. I'm probably looking at a torque arm & new wheels/tires (bigger in the rear).
Old 02-02-2003, 12:23 PM

Originally posted by RobK
My remaining complaints about my car is when I accelerate out of turns the rear wants to come out a little too easily. I'm probably looking at a torque arm & new wheels/tires (bigger in the rear).
...and a nice worm gear rear diff
Old 02-03-2003, 08:47 AM

I think the SFC is really important to tie everything together, but you have the original shocks which were bad new, and are shot after 30k miles. I'd do shocks first, and change the springs with them if you plan on doing that (they need to match). This will give you the biggest gain for you car at its state. The SCF give a nice gain, but w/ shot shocks you can only improve so much. Get the SFC after, and get weld-ins (not the bolt ons).