Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Not much going on here ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:32 AM

Not much going on here ...

... in regards to Road Racing or Time Trials or Solo activities at this forum.

For those that do or would like to, stop by at www.pf-flyer.com and drop me a line. There are events all over this country that will get you in at an entry level you can be comfortable with and not have thousands upon thousands of $$$$ invested in your ride. Seat time is the best mod and should be the first. Then you can really see what is needed to do this.

Stop by the Video dept and check out the lap I posted there, done in a 4th Gen Z/28 at VIR.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:09 AM

Re: Not much going on here ...

Yeah, looks like most people like going in a straight line. I swear that if they got a taste of turning corners they would never go back to the 1/4 mile. Anyway, glad to see at least a few people interested. I will be at Watkins Glen International the 5th and 6th of July for a trackmasters driving school. I know of at least one other person on the board that is going, but he is instructing (I am just in the intermediate group). Maybe more will come.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:21 PM

I, too, am an instructor. I've had to dial back the activities this season to take care of personal stuff, but signed on for 4 events in order to maintain my certification. I'll do Summit Pt next week-end and then the Glen in Sept.

It's hard to get them to come, but once you do, you can't keep them away.

If you're not there already, you may want to join in at F-Body Road Race/ AutoX forum. Over there I'm known as PF Flyer.

Last edited by 99HOSS; 06-30-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Hey guys!

Just thought I'd let ya know that I actually have given Solo Sprint (formerly Solo 1?) a try once last year, and just last weekend! I took a 1-day track school last year and loved it! Then last weekend I ran in a 2-day event, but after the morning lapping sessions on Sunday, I blew the rear end in my car (2 teeth broke off the pinion). BUT, I'm still really pumped about this, and all I wish is that I had a car I could dedicate to Solo Sprint racing! And I wish I had a 6-speed tranny instead of an automatic, but hey, the car still ran around the middle of the pack time-wise, and it was really only my first "event" ever!!

So yeah, there is actually life beyond the 1/4 mile!!! (just "around the corner").

Last edited by Capn Pete; 07-01-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:50 PM

Capn Pete - when I started doing 'Open Track' events back in '99, I was using my, then new 99HOSS. It has an A4 and did well for several years.

I've since had to give it back to the wife and I picked up a 3rd gen TransAm that is now the dedicated track car.

Good to see you've made it to the other side of the fence.

Last edited by 99HOSS; 07-02-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:02 AM

99Hoss, thanks for the link. I hadn't been to that site before, but looks like I will fit in OK. A bunch of us Road race guys should hook up sometime somewhere.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:17 PM

We're out here, I just did a track day at thunderhill up here in california. I was the only fbod there though
Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 AM

blackrat - I know how that goes. There is usually not many F-bodies that show up for the HPDE's or 'Open Track' events out here, either. I've been able to gather some friends together and we've all met at Watkins Glen one year. Half F-Bodies and the other half 'Vettes.

Here's us coming into town.

It's just not a common occurance. I love it when I get assigned a student in one, though many times it's a Mustang or the one Impala SS.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:35 AM

^ ^ ^ a picture tells a thousand words, yet the only word coming to my mind is a Homer Simpson "alghalghalhglalhaglhaglalhhaglaghaglglghalaghaglg h"

Old 07-11-2006, 10:49 PM

Just did a week-end at Summit Pt and it was a blast. Well, most of was anyway.
One student was great, a sponge for info. The other was a rock, just wanted to drive fast. He was actually slower that most on track, he was the only one to not know it.

I got a few sessions in, as well. The last session on Sunday pointed out a leak in the right front brake line that I found as I was approaching turn one after a decent blast down the front straight. Came in and just put it on the trailer. I'll deal with it this week-end.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:47 AM

There was a lot more action in this forum the last couple years, but it really died off recently. A lot of chassis and suspension questions used to get answered here, but then they created a seperate forum for that and now this area has really died down.

Dan