Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

new here

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 06:21 PM

new here

whats up guys just want to know the difference between auto cross and roadracin
Old 10-07-2002, 06:52 PM

Autocross is also known as Solo II.

Autocross - timed competition where you drive around a course delimited by cones and laid out on a large parking lot or airport. No wheel to wheel - just timed. Each event has a different course and unlimited layout possiblities. Max speed ever would be 80 mph with a normal course top speed around 60. Hit a cone and 1 or 2 seconds are added to your time.

Road Racing - wheel to wheel competition driving around a bespoke asphalt or concrete course. Same course layout (more or less) at every event. Maximum speed dependent on track layout and your pucker factor. More exciting and longer than autocross, but much more risky to your health and your car's health.

Now for one that you didn't ask about:
Time Trial (or Solo I): timed competition driving around a bespoke asphalt or concrete course. Same course layout (more or less) at every event. No wheel to wheel - just timed. Maximum speed dependent on track layout and your pucker factor. More exciting and longer than autocross, but somewhat more risky to your health and your car's health.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:27 PM

thanks for the reply. drag racin is cool but this is something i have to try
Old 10-08-2002, 06:14 AM

It's funny that you should say that. I have converted two drag racers to the "dark side" this year.

In my opinion, the only way to start autocrossing is to attend events. You can read stuff on the Internet all day, but it won't mean a whole lot until you've tried it. Your best bet would be to drill through these websites and find events local to you and go (before the season ends). Find some f-body guys (or Mustang guys) and tell them that you are new at this. You will get all of the help that you will need.

At this site, it's called "Solo II". Drill down through the divisions and regions and look for the Solo II events near you:
http://www.scca.org/
(note that the Regional Schedules aren't necessaruly comprehensive. Try to drill down to your local guy's websites if possible).

At this site, it's called NASA-X. I think these guys run in Giants Stadium parking lot...
http://www.nasaproracing.com/

Enjoy.
Old 10-08-2002, 07:27 AM

Welcome.

Flushing, NY is close enough to the Philly and Jersey Regions that www.autox4u.com should be of help.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 10-08-2002 at 07:33 AM.