Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

LS1 Brake upgrade done: questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Question LS1 Brake upgrade done: questions

Ok, I finally installed my LS1 brakes (knuckles, hubs, calipers, rotors, etc.) over the weekend, but I have a few questions. The donor car was a '99 TA and supposedly the front end was not damaged (bought via ebay) & the car only had ~19k miles on it--pads looked almost new & I just had the rotors turned to remove the rust build-up.

First of all they feel way better!

My steering wheel is now off-center, what do I need to do to get it centered again? I'm going to have an alignment done in the next day or so, but I didn't think that would re-center it.

The brake fluid I bleed from my brake system had a strong green tint--is this normal? If I need to flush the system, how do I avoid having to use a tech-2 to bleed the ABS system?

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2003, 10:04 AM

Your steering wheel is aligned during an alignment. It's the tie rods, that are used to adjust toe, that also adjust the centering of the wheel. You could do this at home, but since you're going in for an alignment anyway, you might as well let them do it.

As far as the bleeding, was the brake system run dry? If it was, I think you do need the tech II, but if it wasn't, just make sure you keep the reservoir topped off as you bleed, and you're fine with the traditional method. Color-wise, I don't know. If you had ATE Super Blue fluid in there, it can get a green tint as it mixes with clear?

Dave
Old 01-07-2003, 10:23 AM

Dave,

Thanks for the quick reply.

No, the brake system was not allowed to run dry--just asking about if I need to flush the system.

In fact, during the entire swap I don't think I lost more than a teaspoon at most. I screwed in the new caliper's hose immediately after disconnecting the old one--put it on a bucket until the new knuckle was in.

So, according to you I can virtually flush all the old brake fluid out of the system by bleeding / re-filling / bleeding / re-filling, correct?

I have never added any brake fluid, but I bought this car used a little over 2 years ago--original female owner kept everything bone stock & had dealer-only repair records.

-Rob
Old 01-07-2003, 10:45 AM

Sounds good to me. Yep, bleed/refill/bleed/refill, etc, will work as long as you don't run dry. And you can also bleed from the two bleeders on the ABS unit itself, the same way.

Dave