Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Lower Control Arms - Adjustable Spherical Rod Ended

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 03:42 AM

Question Lower Control Arms - Adjustable Spherical Rod Ended

Anyone running these? I know they'll pretty much eliminate all bind and increase road noise. I'm noisy anyways so I'm not too concerned w/ that (hard hearing over a 396). How much arder is the ride? In the process of trading my Hotckis LCA's for a set for next spring.

I'm just curious as to the end's needing replacement after so many miles. Is this true? AND are the ends really as expensive as some have mentioned? 200+ dinero's?

Does anyone have them on their daily driven car?
Thanks.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:57 AM

I'm using the Spohn LCA's, but my car is far from a daily driver. Yes they're louder, but if you've got other rod ends, you're already on the downward spiral... Basically you feel them more when you hit a hard bump. Rubber goes "blump", poly goes "thud" and rod ends go "bang!"

If this really were a daily driver, I wouldn't want rod ends on my suspension, but that's kind of a personal call, and dependent on how much you need the car for the track. At the track, I'm very glad I have them.

I've never spent $200 for a rod end - more like $30-40 for good ones.

Dave
Old 11-13-2002, 11:13 AM

Rod-End Control Arms

I use solid bushings all around and love them with over 30,000 miles on street and 100 miles on track. I have still not had to replace any of the rod-ends/bearings at this point:

Rear LCAs use spherical bearings (Global West)

Front UCAs use essentially spherical bearings (Global West Del-A-Lum)

Front LCAs use 2 severe duty Spherical Rod Ends (LG)

Rear Panhard rod uses Spherical Rod Ends on both sides (RK Sport)

I plan to change my poly ended torque arm to Rod-End type Spohn T-Arm soon.

The solid bushings will transmit more road noise more in the form of "high" frequency bumps (ie. bridge joints, sharp ridges and potholes). On more gentle bumps, the suspension is actually much smoother (polyurethane and rubber both bind-up motion some). The rod-ends and spherical bearings allow smooth arm movement.

I love it, but my Wife doesn't appreciate it. Our 1996 Impala SS cruiser is more her liking. It is all relative and subjective.

Rick R
Old 11-13-2002, 11:31 AM

The most difficult things about rod ends are 1. Knowing what good ones are. 2. Knowing how to maintain them. I can't point you to any easy stuff.

They come in all kinds of qualities and so, all kinds of prices. Some wear out quickly. You do _not_ want to have a rod end fail on your car. Most suspension bits give warning as they wear out. Rod ends can fail suddenly.

They're great for well maintained race cars, more difficult for the street.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:06 PM

Spherical Bearings

V6 Bob has point with Rod-ends, ... you absolutely do not want them to fail at speed. My risk is with my G2 Front Lower Control arms which use rod ends. The are still tight and strong, after 30,000 miles. I change wheels often and check that they are tight.

Spherical bearings and del-a-lum bushings have the advantage here, as they are still quite solid and they are captured by a through-bolt (ie. the worst that can happen is that they wear and rattle or clunk, they won't let your control arm fall off). If a rod-end fails catastrophically, your car is going to steer (or suspension collapse) in the worst possible way (Murphy's Law).

Rick R
Old 11-13-2002, 12:16 PM

I have the slotcar racing LCA's and with headers and exaust the only noise I hear are the NASTY thumps on big bumps, It sound pretty bad. but just driving around sound no different than stock and noticed a HUGE increase in both traction and handling!!
Old 11-13-2002, 01:52 PM

LG sells aluminum (light) double rod-ended control arms ( high quality) for around $240.

I am using them so far, they aren't too noisy... but I also don't have any rubber bushings left on the car.

STeve
Old 11-13-2002, 03:06 PM
WOT

Originally posted by steve_c
LG sells aluminum (light) double rod-ended control arms ( high quality) for around $240.

I am using them so far, they aren't too noisy... but I also don't have any rubber bushings left on the car.

STeve
Really? On their webpage all I could find were poly/rod LCA's. I suppose I need to give them a call as I wanted double rod-ended lca's.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:54 PM

its not on their website you have to call them...
Old 11-13-2002, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the advice! I run BMR's upper and lower A-arms w/ rod ends on the lowers. I can tell a slight difference in noise and incredible difference in performance. She's not really a daily driver but if it's nice out then it's daily.

When you guys mentioned rods failing exactly what do you mean? The rod backing out? Etc...what are the chances of that? Just curious as to the meaning of failing. I do all the maintenance myself on a regular basis so not too concerned w/ that. If they are too loud does anyone sell the poly bushing end seperate to replace a rod end if need be? I'm pretty sure I won't be doing but would just like a source if it came to it. I rode in the car that they are coming off of and our susp are pretty mirrored in some regards. He has a 9" rear and me stk and w/ front upper & lower arms being the only difference. My torque arm I broke had the poly bushing but I'm going rod end on that too this time around.

Thanks for response's you guys have been a great.
Silas,

Last edited by ZBLKHELLRZR; 11-13-2002 at 05:22 PM.