Kuhmo questions....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by treyZ28
POS
wont mount onto our rims

tried
and then they gave me crap about returning them

I had them mounted on a set of '99 16X8 Z28 5 star wheels with no problem. So far the tires are okay. Neither of you guys made it out to BCC the past 2 months if I remember right. August was steady rain all day. I was VERY happy with the AVS-I's. I was the fastest "stock class" car. September it was dry all day. I definately could have used more traction. They handled as well if not better than the F1's but I still had issues in some corners (especially the pivot cones). Plenty of tire smoke to delite and amuse the crowds. I still beat the Fords but it wasn't as much of a domination as it was last month. But hey, these are street tires. I'll eventually move up to actual race tires when these wear out. (It looks like i might get an entire year out of them at the current wear rate.)

Eric - If you get an extra set of wheels, get race tires. You already run in "prepared class" anyway. If you'e upgrading, pay a little more an get as much tire as you can. Show those daamn Impreza's who's the boss! If you're gonna run these tires on the street, I'd recommend the AVS-I's. They've got good grip and are cheap as dirt. BTW - Don't get them from Tirerack. I did. They forgot to ship one of the tires. I had FedEx looking for it for a few days. Then TireRack calls and asks if I got all 4 tires. Seems they forgot one. Then when they shipped it, it got all scuffed up because it was by itself. With two tires strapped together they protect the sidewall that is mounted outward. So two of my tires are all scuffed up. When I had them omunted at Big 10. Ron (manager) looked up what his cost would be on the same tires. He would have had no problem matching what I paid with shipping. His cost was something like $49 each. So just go down Alafaya to Oveido. Stop at the Big 10 on Red Bug. Have Ron order them and put them on for you. It'll be about $330 - $350 total for a set of 4. Your speedo will be a little off. And your car will look like it needs to be lowered. So have the speedo corrected for about $20 and get new springs too. Then you'll really be ready for the next autoX.
Old 09-17-2002, 12:59 AM

hey chuck by the way what size do you have?

I am interested into the closest I can get to strapping rubber bands around my rims as possible, get me some gearing, and stiffer sidewalls, and slightly lower.

I was thinking of checking out some local tiere places alos, there was what i think is a big 10 on coloniol with alot of modded imports out fornt figured maybe I could see what tires and what prices they have over there. I may check out your guy.

As for springs... I am thining of getting 1LEs, but I am worried about maybe jacking up the fornt end(they are made for v8 I have v6), but I woudl rather have them since they complement my sway bars perfectly, its how they were designed, also figured if I do springs, soem 1LE LCAS, are a definte.

I have also thought of the Eibach pro kit. But am kinda worried about lowering my car, I mean it has low issues as it is.

btw its a little harder to recalibrate the speedo on my car, cheapest route looks to be either speedo recalibrater form slp, but I try to avoid slp whenever possible, and its $180, next is custom reprograming, and maybe a possibility of having hte computer flashed by a computer.
Old 09-17-2002, 06:57 AM

Chuck: Actually we were both there in August to watch your total domination of GTS On the other hand my times sucked so bad I'm almost too embarassed to show up at another event

Eric: A company called Dakota Digital also sells a speedo recalibration device for $80.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/Detail....rtNumber=SGI-5

They say dont use it on an ABS car but if you look at the manual it says "Do not use this unit to modify a signal going to an ABS system. Fortunately for us our ABS system is pretty much independant of everything else so I dont think i'll be a problem.
Old 09-17-2002, 07:53 AM

My V700 Victoracers are 245/45/16 and fit just perfect on stock 16 x 8 rims. This also has the effect of lowering the car 1/2" and improving the gear ratio by about 10% (like having 3.73's as compared to 3.42's). they are still for sale, btw, mounted or loose.

If you want to go fast, don't waste your money on any street tires. In the carosel at road america, my t/a on excellent street tires could only do 63 mph before it would start loosing it. my formula on track tires was doing 80 in the same turn. street tires vs track tires, track tires (R compound) are the ticket. even worn track tires are great by comparison to street tires.

bobc
Old 09-17-2002, 08:35 AM

Der! I realized you were both there after I poseted that. I have video, after all. Duh!

I have the 245/45/16's. BTW - These are no longer listed on tirerack. Not this size anyway. My final thought... Save up some $$$. Get some dirt cheap curb rashed 16" wheels. Put real race tires on them.

BTW - If you guys ever want to run the SS let me know. You've both let me drive yours when mine broke. So it's only fair. I might have to think about letting you use it for hte Gainesville event next month since the risk of disaster is a bit higher. But anytime in Palm Bay.
Old 09-17-2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
Der! I realized you were both there after I poseted that. I have video, after all. Duh!

I have the 245/45/16's. BTW - These are no longer listed on tirerack. Not this size anyway. My final thought... Save up some $$$. Get some dirt cheap curb rashed 16" wheels. Put real race tires on them.

BTW - If you guys ever want to run the SS let me know. You've both let me drive yours when mine broke. So it's only fair. I might have to think about letting you use it for hte Gainesville event next month since the risk of disaster is a bit higher. But anytime in Palm Bay.
hehe.... for someone that knows the beating my drivetrain has gone thorugh, you are a brave man

I wil have to see what is happenging with my car, I have alot of stuff that needs taken care off...

On a good note, I found out I can get some good rates with Avis through my Corporation, and they will rent to younger managers, since we are trusted with thousands and thousand sof dolalrs cash every weekend, so they think we would be responsible .

hmm... I know my dad has rented a Stang GT, before, now that would be fun to take to hte Maxi Prix if my car doesn't make it.
Old 09-17-2002, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by MustangEater82
hehe.... for someone that knows the beating my drivetrain has gone thorugh, you are a brave man

I wil have to see what is happenging with my car, I have alot of stuff that needs taken care off...

On a good note, I found out I can get some good rates with Avis through my Corporation, and they will rent to younger managers, since we are trusted with thousands and thousand sof dolalrs cash every weekend, so they think we would be responsible .

hmm... I know my dad has rented a Stang GT, before, now that would be fun to take to hte Maxi Prix if my car doesn't make it.
ALL RIGHT! You'd be in my class! GT Stock. [Austin Powers Voice] O Yeah Baby! [/Austin Powers Voice]

I need some more people in GT Stock. Those Fords are getting mad at me. At least then they wouldn't direct all their hatred toward me.

And as far as drivetrain abuse, ... well you weren't there last month. hehehe I'll post the video of my second run tomorrow. There was a 180 degree left handed pivot cone right before the finish. The suspension was loaded on the left wheels due to a sweeping right hander coming up to the cone. So I found I was able to keep that side loaded until I was just at the cone. Then I snapped the car back to the left. The back end broke loose and got great rotation. Unfortunately this was the first time I tried this manuver and got a little too much rotation. Since I had already missed a gate I didn't care about the time so I kept my foot in it and did a big smokey donut, brought it around again , aimed it right at the exit and continued to let em fly right through the finish line. If it wasn't gonna be fast I decided to make it fun! Look for it tomorrow after about 9:30 AM.

I'm not too worried about drivetrain abuse. Just don't burn the clutch. This Z06 clutch is a bit sticky. Either I've got used to it or it's gotten a bit better. But it'll still stall real easy if you don't give it enough gas and bring the clutch about 2/3 up. Other than that, it's all fun. Try to avoid the cones. They buff out but are a pain. Better just to avoid them. The tires are just for fun anyway. The brakes are disposable. Besides remember when I tried to ease your's into 1st at the far side of the Tyco track? Woopsie daisy.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:42 PM

Chuck,

Thanks for the offer! I'll have to take you up on it sometime Definately not at Gainsville but sometime out at Palm Bay...

BTW do you know if they need any volunteers to work the October Mini-Prix? My rearend is starting to die so I would rather not drive that far and risk breaking it out there. I may be able to get it fixed before hand but I'm not counting on it. Anyways even if I cant run I would still like to make it out there to help out if I can bum a ride to Gainsville.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:01 PM

We'll always take all the help we can get. I don't know if I'll be going up the day before or not but you can ride with me if you want. My wife will most likely take her truck too. She doesn't like to be stuck at the autocross if the kids get wild. Plus this way I have room for the canopy and wheels and bikes and cooler and ...

So there's plenty room in the SS .

We might find a campground or something cheap and stay over.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:03 PM

So what's wrong with the rear end? Let me know if I can help.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by 2002Z28SSConv
So what's wrong with the rear end?
Everything? lol... Basically it has 160K on it and about everything in it is worn out.

Its had a constant pintion seal leak for as long as I've owned it, I've tried 3 times with my dad's help to get it to stop leaking but the repairs last 2-3 weeks at best. The last time we didnt get the preload on the pinion nut right so now not only does it leak worse than ever it whines pretty noticably.

I dont know what's wrong and I'm tried of messing with it so I'm just going to find another 10bolt to just swap in. Usually you can find one cheap enough that rebuilding and old one just isnt worth it. Problem is I havent found a suitable one locally and I'm sure shipping a rearend isnt exactly cheap.

As for the mini-prix I'll keep you posted as we get closer to 10/19 to let you know if I''ll need a ride. Thanks for the offer!
Old 09-18-2002, 02:09 AM

hehe don't worry I have done worse to my car I was more interested in how much my car leaned in turns, pfft, at that track I missed a gate the first round, second round I almsot missed the gate agian so I threw the wheel, and ended up doing a 360, they have a pic of it on the webiste, too bad its so small, would be my Wallpaper.

Hey JAson I know what oyu mean about the rear end, I was looking into fixing all the torubles on my stock one, and in the end it ws easeir, cheaper and quicker for me to upgrade to lsd, 3.42s, and 4 wheel disc brakes.

btw... if you leave a busted rear end in a UCF parking garage for more then 2 hours someone takes it, found that out when I finished my swap and was drivng around, they took away my out of bablance 2 piece drivesahft too. Saved me a trip to hte junkyard

I thin I am going to get my transmission fixed tomorrow. It might be funny, haveing reverse for he first time in coming up on 2 years. I should have room if you need a ride Jason, and chuck cannot take you.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:37 AM

Video as promised - http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...threadid=25297