Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Have questions about brake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 10:23 AM

Post Have questions about brake upgrades

I've been searching the archives and still have some questions about brake upgrades. I am due to replace my pads and rotors soon and I would rather put that money towards a brake upgrade.

There seems to be several different systems out there. C5 kits, Porsche kits, Brembo, Alcon..... Which kit is a good buy for the money? I plan on starting doing some local parking auto-x events, although I am planning on getting into roadracing later on. What do you of the Baer track and GT+ system. They seem reasonably priced, is the C5 kit a good upgrade....it seems to be fairly cheap. What are the pro's and cons of each system. I would like to do this once.

I don't mind spending some extra $$$ to get a good system but I want to make sure i'm getting the best one for the $. Should I upgrade the rear calipers also, and which kits will work an SS wheel (slp 17 wheels). sorry about the all the questions but I need to do something soon.

Andy

94 Z28 1LE
Old 08-29-2002, 12:42 PM

Be careful. Doing upgrades of ANY sort will move you into SCCA categories where you won't stand a chance of being competitive.
Old 08-29-2002, 03:57 PM

The Baer GT+ and GTP systems use a C5 caliper. Just personal opinion augmented by the fact I sell (and own on my car) the C5 upgrade, I would not pay $12-1400 for a Baer GTP kit when the C5 kit is the same thing. The Baer GTP rotor is a little bigger (13.15 inches vs. 12.8) but other than that its the same brakes.

Just keep in mind you generally get what you pay for, but high priced kits usually come with high replacement costs, and all cars (even daily drivers) require replacement pads and rotors from time to time, and those replacement intervals will increase if the car is used competitively.

That's not to say there aren't good deals out there, though. For example: Our C5 kit and L.G.'s C5 kit, both priced at $825, provide, IMHO, braking performance in excess of the kits cost. Our kit and L.G.'s take different approaches to mounting the caliper, and the L.G. kit is an LS1 only kit whereas ours works on all 93-02 F-bodies, but both utilize proven C5 components that are both durable and inexpensive.

------------------
Owner, Nashville Speed & Performance

1996 Trans Am WS6
Old 08-29-2002, 09:24 PM

Andy,

Mitch is right. Just putting on bigger rotors or calipers will move you to SCCA's SM class. Your 17x9 wheels will put you into ESP if you don't do the brakes, which is a slightly slower class, but not by much. You'll only need the C5 brakes if you plan on doing road course events. They won't do you any good in autox, but I think you're on the right track in doing them now instead of sinking any more money into your LT1 brakes.

I'd do one of the C5 brake kit upgrades for now. They're cheap to install and replacement parts are also very cheap.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:21 AM

FYI--the C5 upgrade fits all OEM 17" wheels.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:17 PM

941LE, where did you get PFCM pads from? Every place I called said that they didn't make them for the LS1 brakes. What did you ask for? All help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Brian

------------------
Black 1994 Z28, M6 conversion complete. Eibach Pro-kit, Bilstiens, Chrome 17x11 ZR1 rims, LS1 Brake Upgrade, K&N CAI, AS&M Headers, High-flow Cat, B&B Tri-Flo W/ Quad Tips, Cutout, B&M Ripper, McLeod Street Twin, Kenny Brown DD Subframes, More to come...

There Goes the Neighborhood!!!
Old 08-31-2002, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all the replys. From what i've gotten from this board and talking to a C5 owner who roadraces The C5 setup should be work fairly well. The Alcon system is nice but cost big $$$$. The choices and prices of pads and rotors are nice for the C5 also. Will the front calipers be all I need or should I upgrade the rears also?