Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

First $500 should go to what suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 12:11 PM

First $500 should go to what suspension?

Tax return coming back, need to start my suspension. Looking for mostly straight line stuff now, launching. Just gained 100hp at the wheels need to put it down. What are the first things I should do to the rear suspension with around $500? Obviously LCAs and relocation brackets...what else? Also, I bought BMRs subframe connectors and shock tower brace, like the quality, price is right, is all BMRs stuff really good, should I go with everything BMR??
Old 01-27-2003, 03:28 PM

My car doesn't launch for crap, too stiff rear setup.

Most road race cars do not launch that well, unless they are a pretty mild setup.

In other words, wrong forum! You may get some suggestions like, stiff rear sway bar, LCA relocation brackets with multiple adjustment, maybe springs, or just a good set of slicks to break the rear.

Not everyone likes everything BMR, and not everyone likes everything Global West, so feel open to looking at things on a piece by piece basis, I have his tubular subframes and like them.
Old 01-27-2003, 04:50 PM

Mudgie is correct, wrong forum!

If you want to preserve good street manners you will want to avoid drag springs and shocks. Your best bet is tires. As was said, slicks will likely break the rear end. Your best bet is a set of drag radials. Nitto is better on the street, BFG's on the track.

In any case, you will wear these tires out quickly on the road and will want to purchase an extra set of wheels so you can use them only on race day!

Rich Krause
Old 01-27-2003, 08:06 PM

My, bad, thought this forum was for all suspension.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:09 PM

Some guys here are dual natured, but me, I dont know much about drag stuff.

So, best bet is definately the drag forum
Old 01-28-2003, 02:50 PM

The answer is probably going to be shocks though, if yours are over 30k miles. But decide what springs you want and get them to match of course. Cant put the power down if the springs keep bouncing your rear end up and down All other mods depend on this to be working correctly. Well, thats what my limited knowlegde tells me...

--Kevin
Old 01-28-2003, 09:19 PM

I've heard that upgrading the torque arm is a good idea. Especially if you get an adjustable one so that you can adjust the pinion angle just right. Get it just right and the rear will plant like velcro. Too much or too little pinion angle and your tires will actually bounce or try to lift when you launch. Don't waste your money on new control arms. Just box the stock ones by welding another plate along the bottom to close them off. A poly torque arm bushing has also been recomended, so I hear. If you're gonna run sticky tire on the stock rearend, I highly recommend getting a differential cover with studs that put a preload on the bearing caps. It minimizes any deflection under load and preserves the gears from failure. It's not gonna make the gears bullet proof, but it will at least add some armor.
But again, try the drag forum. Most of us around here can tell you how to turn a corner faster, but they will tell you how to launch faster.