Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

A arms/coilovers/TA and sways

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002, 10:44 PM

A arms/coilovers/TA and sways

Alright gentlemen, Let me start by telling you what i have and you can procure me from there.
I have SLP's Bilsteins with 1LE springs, a Pa racing cradle, 32mm solid front and 21 rear with poly endlinks on the front. A strut bar,
Herb adams solid endlink Phard bar, stock Tq Arm and Metco LCA's

I'm learning from other posts made but i'd like the skinny on the following:
1) A arms: Necessary?
Goods and bads? Worth the money????? Problems to look out for? BMR vs PA racings?

2)Coilovers: I have the bilstein setup but have heard of ground controls coil overs and they sound pretty cool.
OPINIONS? what about Penske's or Carrera's?

3) Tq Arm: I currently have a stock one mated to my Moser 12 bolt
Since i removed the turbo I am not running the power i used to but i'd like the stick'um necessary for any future additions
?Will an extreme Tq arm like BMR's extreme work in Road racing and Drag racing or will there be a problem there at all? What about the specialized rear adjusting Sway bars that claim a couple of tenths just by adding them? Anything?

Finally, Sways:
Like I said, I have 32mm solid front and 21 mm rear bars. They work well but i'm just wondering about the 35mm or other combo's and what works best for all around driving and road racing ( high speed with turns)

Any help would be much appreciated and for any questions that might be long and drawn out.. well, I appreciate you answering them.
Thanks,
STEW
Old 10-09-2002, 01:33 PM

1) A arms: give you better road feel in the front and gives better grip for the tires in the front. The car turns must sharper..

Cons: increased noise and harshness

-stick to rod ended ones so that they are easy to replace...
I have LG ones.

2)Ground control quality isn't that great... use Global West front spring perches and run either a bilstein valved or koni DA (up to 600#)

I will be running LG coilovers ... they are the only ones I know of with spherical bearings top and bottom...

Penske is $700-$1200 a shock and I don't think carrera makes coilover anymore...

3)either stick with stock or get a similar stock arm... all the short ones put wear on your car and create bind .. they are meant more for drag racing...

4)Bigger bar means less roll... but loads the outside tire alot more... stick with 32mm front and use a heavier spring...

Note all this is meant for roadracing.. not sure about autox...
Old 10-11-2002, 02:24 PM

Car broke before I had a chance to really push it but this is what I have or will soon have.

1. I still have the stock lowers but will be getting LG's soon. I do have Global West uppers and they did make a noticable change in the way the car turned into the corners.

2. I have LG's Coil Over kit on the car and you wouldn't believe the difference it made alone. The car rides better than what it did with all of the 1LE stuff on it and handles 100x better. Really great kit and I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a coil over setup

3. I also have the LG TQ arm. I think you would have to do some grinding to the 12 bolt but it is the only one that i have seen that doesn't bind at all, plus its lighter than all of the other ones I have seen.

4. I'm still running stock 1LE bars on mine.....I might switch but only after I get some more run time on the car this spring.

BTW this is what mine has as far as suspension
PA RR K-member, Global West uppers, KBDD subs, LG coil overs, Spohn LCA's and Panhard--> going to LG lightweight LCA and panhard, STB....thats really it so far. ......notice the LG stuff....they really know what their doing. Give them a buzz and see if they can't help you get a package together.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:27 PM

Wow thumper's car and mine are going to be twins soon...
Old 10-11-2002, 09:18 PM

Re: A arms/coilovers/TA and sways

I'm going to make an assumption that you want to set your car up for track days instead of autocrossing. Correct me if I am wrong.

Originally posted by stewmeistr
1) A arms: Necessary?
Goods and bads? Worth the money????? Problems to look out for? BMR vs PA racings?
I hear great things about the GW uppers, including the two other posters' comments. I plan to get a set this winter.

2)Coilovers: I have the bilstein setup but have heard of ground controls coil overs and they sound pretty cool.
OPINIONS? what about Penske's or Carrera's?
I'm running the GC setup front and rear with Bilsteins. My fronts were revalved by Sam Strano. I love the combination. I know of noone who has had problems with the GC coilovers and they are WAY cheaper than the alternatives.

3) Tq Arm: I currently have a stock one mated to my Moser 12 bolt
Since i removed the turbo I am not running the power i used to but i'd like the stick'um necessary for any future additions
?Will an extreme Tq arm like BMR's extreme work in Road racing and Drag racing or will there be a problem there at all? What about the specialized rear adjusting Sway bars that claim a couple of tenths just by adding them? Anything?
I'm using the LG torque arm. I think LG really knew what he was doing when he designed this torque arm and the feel is great. I also did the Torsen T2R at the same time though, so it's hard for me to make a good A-B comparison with the stock torque arm.

Like I said, I have 32mm solid front and 21 mm rear bars. They work well but i'm just wondering about the 35mm or other combo's and what works best for all around driving and road racing ( high speed with turns)
I'd stick with the 1LE bars if you go with a front spring rate around 650 lb/in and the rears at 175 lb/in or close to that. The solid 35 mm bar will add about 25 lbs. to your front end and I doubt you'll need that roll stiffness. I set mine up for autocrossing initially and am running 500 lb/in on the front with a stock sway bar. I'm comfortable with the way the car is, but I'll add the 1LE bars over the winter. I'm sticking with 500 lb/in for now, although I can see myself with 650 lb/in for the next step.
Old 10-12-2002, 08:48 AM

A few thoughts.
The LG arm looks great and I like the design. You can not adjust pinion though.
Some shorter length arms will screw up the car. Look into Madmanracing.com. They have a slightly shorter arm that should be bind free. Plus it is made by drag racers so it is strong.
Go with the GW uppers. If you have a rod ended upper arm that is just a few more things to wear and replace. And rod ends are not cheap.
Ground Controls quality is great. I just think there service SUCKS so I buy there products from Stranoparts.com. There setup is best as you have a couple options in shocks. The LG setup would need to be revalved everytime you want to change rates because they are not adjustable.
Penskes are great shocks. The best actually. They are very expensive though. If interested I can put you in touch with someone.
Listen to these guys on open tracking. I autocross. My 500's and a 35mm bar work great.