Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

2006 Roadrunner Open Road Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:09 PM

2006 Roadrunner Open Road Race

Back at home after an eventful weekend. After the trials and troubles the middle part of the week with the Opti and then having to tear the steering column apart late Friday, I was apprehensive when we pulled to the pre-grid at 6am Saturday. I was so worried I actually told the lady lined up behind me that if she needed to pass to make sure and get well to the left so I could see her. Luckily, she was a previous acquaintance and took it all in good stride. She went on to win the 145mph class SOLO in her black Z06 at a time difference of only -.5 seconds which is absoulutely incredible.

The dash looked like a Christmas tree that morning -- SES life going on and off intermitently with a DTC 43 code -knock sensor circuit failure-, ABS light on and the low water sensor lit. After the Opti replacement, the car was also idling with problems. All this after I had brought what I what was a well sorted and proven car with NO problems to the race 2 short days before.

The race was delayed from an 8am start time due to fog. They had the fastest cars gridded first and I was 14 on the start line. At a 145mph average speed, the first leg of 40 miles would take 16 minutes and 33 seconds to run. I was worried both about the mechanical condition of the car AND the fact I was running solo and would have to keep up with time and distance as well as the driving duties. We finally got to the line about 1030 and I was nervous as everything as I pulled to the line. Once off and running, the butterflies vanished as I concentrated on the first 20 miles of the course which were the most challenging. I drove the first 20 miles as hard as I could and did not even check time until mid race. The first part of the course had some nasty turns and off camber bends that took total concentration. When I did get an opportunity to check, I found I was at a 140mph average-- almost 6 seconds behind my time. The last 20 miles had some nice long straight aways and I took full advantage. The car was running great -- no sign of the engine miss that had plagued me before. At one point I glanced at tthe GPS and it showed 169mph and acceleraqting and I had to back off -- my tech do not exceed speed is 168mph. I had lowered the Blaine real spoiler about an inch in practice and I regretted that decision now. The car was a bit loose over 160 and defintely showed tendencies to tram line in the road ruts. At the Marathon turn around, I was dead on the 145mph average which was very encouraging. I did scrape really bad in one of the low water crossings at 165mph and undercarriage inspection showed all the header wrap torn loose due to those scrapes.

We took a 2 hour break there at the Marathon Elementary School and started back about 230pm. I was more confident on the start of the north bound leg and managed to bank 6 seconds in the first 20 miles. Northbound, I did not exceed 165mph. I had also adjusted the spoiler back up and the car was much more settled at the high speeds. I had the luxury of adjusting my speed between 144-146mph in the last 5 miles to try to nail the target time right on the money. After the race, we all assembeld at the City Park to swap stories and let the townspeople look at the cars. As soon as I backed into my spot, there was a long legged Texas Blonde offering me cold water in one hand and a Miller Lite in the other one. I opted for the Miller. Gotta love Texas! Everyone in our class was reasonably confident they had hit close to the mark and there was plenty of lighthearted teasing. In the upper speed classes, you don't see any rookies so I knew the competition was going to be tough.

That night at the Awards Banquet it was interesting to hear the times of the podium cars. In the lower classes, some of the cars gained trophies at 7-10 seconds off the target times. As the speeds increased, the target times got much closer. I managed a 3rd in the 145mph class with a time of +1.8 seconds which really, realy pleased me in light of all the troubles that week.

My troubles were not over however. I got up to a rainy Sunday morning and hooked up the trailer and lowered the ramp-- and the car would not start! Had to winch it up in the trailer and got totally soaked in the process.

On the Grid

Car Interior with all the timing stuff

After the Race

I have video of both legs I will post in a few days.

Andy
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 PM

Re: 2006 Roadrunner Open Road Race

How did you accurately keep track of the time? I can see how the GPS would come in handy, but you have 3 stop watches and a GPS. Did you have any practice runs to check out the GPS?
Old 10-23-2006, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by itlbtu
How did you accurately keep track of the time? I can see how the GPS would come in handy, but you have 3 stop watches and a GPS. Did you have any practice runs to check out the GPS?
The stop watches are used to keep the time. GPS is for avergae speed and speedometer. Little time was spent below 150mph. ALL these events have practice days prior to the actual race and most have a radar with display in place so you can check both speedo and GPS.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 AM

Full video of each leg -- no music.

The files are big!

South Leg

North Leg
Old 10-24-2006, 10:02 AM

Sounds like a blast . Big open road race like that, sounds like this Targa Newfoundland event I just found out about recently ... it's 7 days, but it's on closed roads around the coast of Newfoundland and through wooded areas of the mainland. I got to watch some in car video from this car ... it looks crazy! The only "problem" was they were speed limited to 200 km/h (~120 mph) so there were times that they were just "cruising" along in the Z06 at 120 mph for long stretches of road .

...I just downloaded your vids ... gonna see how ya did!!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Super Moderator

I'm going to have to check the videos out when I get home. Sounds like a great time!

I wonder if there are any events like that around here...
Old 10-24-2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
I'm going to have to check the videos out when I get home. Sounds like a great time!

Texas, Nevada and Nebraska are the only ones I am aware of.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Sounds like a blast . Big open road race like that, sounds like this Targa Newfoundland event I just found out about recently ... it's 7 days, but it's on closed roads around the coast of Newfoundland and through wooded areas of the mainland. I got to watch some in car video from this car ... it looks crazy! The only "problem" was they were speed limited to 200 km/h (~120 mph) so there were times that they were just "cruising" along in the Z06 at 120 mph for long stretches of road .

...I just downloaded your vids ... gonna see how ya did!!

$5495 is a little steep for me as an entry fee.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AndyJ

Andy, what does it cost to participate in your event? Are roll cages and other safety equipment required?
Old 10-24-2006, 10:41 AM

Andy, what does it cost to participate in your event? Are roll cages and other safety equipment required?
Jake,

It depends . For the Street Rod classes, around $250. Move up in speed classes and it may get close to $700.

Here is the URL for the Big Bend Race and their rules/pricing are pretty typical.
Big Bend ORR Info.

In Street Rod, you can pretty much run what you brung as long as you have a helmet. In the higher speed classes, it depends on driver experience and safety equipment. I see every type car imaginable there every year -- From Lincoln Town cars and SUV's to the Exotics.

I run 2 classes down from the Unlimiteds. To move up to the next class, I would have to add a fire system, fuel cell and partition to block off the fuel cell from the driver compartment (96 Z). I can run up to 168mph in Grand Sport Division. If I added the equipment, I could move up to Super Sport and run a max of 180mph.

BTW, We started out in the 110mph class and moved up from there over time. I think that is a good route to take.
Hope this helps.........
Old 10-24-2006, 11:01 AM

Here's the URL's for the other three.

http://www.silverstateclassic.com/
http://www.openroadracing.com/
http://sorcrace.net/

P.S. With room and food, etc. it usually runs around $2000. plus or minus, a weekend.
P.P.S. Does NOT include visit to the Mustang Ranch when in Nevada.

Last edited by Z28SORR; 10-25-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by AndyJ
Yeah, just a little pricey!! But it is for a whole week!! (and you get to party 'yer **** off with a buncha Newfies!!! )
Old 10-24-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Capn Pete
Yeah, just a little pricey!! But it is for a whole week!! (and you get to party 'yer **** off with a buncha Newfies!!! )
And a pit crew and support vehicle......... Man, I ain't ready for the big time!