Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

It is a Z28 Underneath... but a 57 Belair on the outside

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM

It is a Z28 Underneath... but a 57 Belair on the outside

My progress so far in making my Z28 look like a 57 Chevy Belair.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't like it--I've seen one or two of these before. I think it would better if you used an Impala or something else that had a more appropriate roofline, but I also must say I can't wait to see you finish it!

If you're going to build it to look similar to CheZoom... then that's another story. That would be quite cool. Otherwise, I think it's quite awkward to use a Camaro for it.

Last edited by Brangeta; 07-31-2009 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM

Sounds cool, keep us posted.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

It's rare that I end up liking the results of such "hybrid" vehicles.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JakeRobb
It's rare that I end up liking the results of such "hybrid" vehicles.

Good luck.
I posted a thread probably a couple years ago now of one of these that was completed. It wasn't pretty.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:38 PM

I agree the 4th gen roof line is all wrong... that is why I started with a convertible.... and it will be only when I get caught in the rain that the top goes up. I only put the top up on the Z28 once other than when caught in the rain... so the nice lady at the NJ inspection station could see I had a rear window.

It will be some what like CheZoom, in fact it will also be blue. Compared to a real 57 Belair the front fenders have been sectioned and the overall length shorter. The rake of the windshield is very different too but gives it a look of speed.

More pics coming... just have to blow the dust off and clear away the tools so more of it can be seen.

Originally Posted by Brangeta
I don't mean to be rude, but I don't like it--I've seen one or two of these before. I think it would better if you used an Impala or something else that had a more appropriate roofline, but I also must say I can't wait to see you finish it!

If you're going to build it to look similar to CheZoom... then that's another story. That would be quite cool. Otherwise, I think it's quite awkward to use a Camaro for it.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:02 PM

They make a kit to do this, not sure if you've seen it or not.

http://www.chevyrods.com/
Old 07-31-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Counted Out
They make a kit to do this, not sure if you've seen it or not.

http://www.chevyrods.com/
Wasnt this site/topic posted sometime in a past thread....
Old 08-01-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by cteufert
I agree the 4th gen roof line is all wrong... that is why I started with a convertible.... and it will be only when I get caught in the rain that the top goes up. I only put the top up on the Z28 once other than when caught in the rain... so the nice lady at the NJ inspection station could see I had a rear window.

It will be some what like CheZoom, in fact it will also be blue. Compared to a real 57 Belair the front fenders have been sectioned and the overall length shorter. The rake of the windshield is very different too but gives it a look of speed.

More pics coming... just have to blow the dust off and clear away the tools so more of it can be seen.
To me, the biggest problem with this kit, is the fact that the front end is so short. Although the cost of lengthening it might not be something you'd want to do, I think it's practically necessary. It needs to be squished vertically towards the front--I don't know what term to use to describe that, but it needs to be done. It just looks so messed up as-is.

This is where the Avanti is a success, and that kit is not.

Last edited by Brangeta; 08-01-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:51 PM

I compared side view photos of both a real 57 and a converted Camaro. When you adjust the images so the axles are aligned the real 57 is much more boxy especially the front end. The converted camaro's nose is slightly longer and the tail fins taller. Overall the body has more of a rake to it.

[QUOTE=Brangeta;6059130]To me, the biggest problem with this kit, is the fact that the front end is so short. Although the cost of lengthening it might not be something you'd want to do, I think it's practically necessary. It needs to be squished vertically towards the front--I don't know what term to use to describe that, but it needs to be done. It just looks so messed up as-is.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:00 PM

I just followed followed from where the photo you posted came from... I looked at the other photos of the kit on that page. It is very different than what I am working with. The nose on mine has been chopped and sectioned so the fenders are tighter around the headlight. This make the nose a bit lower and longer looking.

Just as soon as I can get the car back on the ground I can take some better photos, the garage is just too tight to get a good picture of the whole car.

At the moment all the body panels are installed. I have to blend some seams, install a couple trim pieces and install the lights. I may take it for a test drive before sanding, priming and painting. The last items I need to purchase are the wheels and tires... the Camaro rims just are not going to work!

[QUOTE=Brangeta;6059130]To me, the biggest problem with this kit, is the fact that the front end is so short. Although the cost of lengthening it might not be something you'd want to do, I think it's practically necessary. It needs to be squished vertically towards the front--I don't know what term to use to describe that, but it needs to be done. It just looks so messed up as-is.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:14 PM

Cool idea, just not my thing.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brangeta
This is where the Avanti is a success, and that kit is not.

Wow, I've never seen an Avanti kit on an F-body platform, but it actually doesn't look too far off from the real thing.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by shock6906
Wow, I've never seen an Avanti kit on an F-body platform, but it actually doesn't look too far off from the real thing.
IIRC that was actually what Avante made in the late 90s. they abandoned the original Avante design along with this rare 4 door avante.

and the super rare (i've never even seen one online before until i searched in this thread) 2006 avanti coupe

does that roofline look familliar? it should, you've probably seen one in the rear view mirror before. yeah thats right, it's a Mustang

they also made a 'vert

Last edited by 1995blackttopta; 08-02-2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:00 AM

I believe the problem is that the hood/fender line is higher then the window/shoulder line. Which makes the entire front look huge, high, and short. If they had lowered the fender line to below the mirror and replaced the mirrors with "vette type" mirrors or 3rd Gens., it would have looked better.

Quick Reply: It is a Z28 Underneath... but a 57 Belair on the outside