Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

To those who have upgraded to a LS1 frontend...

Old 05-26-2003, 12:41 AM

To those who have upgraded to a LS1 frontend...

Did you gain any room in the engine bay? I know the fenders are taller, but I'm not sure how much.

This is more of those 'just curious' questions...
Old 05-26-2003, 08:41 AM

In the rear near the windshield the height is the same. In the front near the bumper cover, the fenders sit about 1.5" higher or so.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:03 AM

The clearance you gain is minimal, its still less than an LS1. I swapped to an LS1 airbox as well, the taller Radiator support crossmember on the LT1 required me to shave much of the lower airbox away to be able to close the hood. Besides, the real clearance issues we have with our car is the super low cowl covering half the motor, making it impossible to reach anything in the back of the motor and removing the alternator for anything on the passenger side
Old 05-26-2003, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by MadKilla
The clearance you gain is minimal, its still less than an LS1. I swapped to an LS1 airbox as well, the taller Radiator support crossmember on the LT1 required me to shave much of the lower airbox away to be able to close the hood. Besides, the real clearance issues we have with our car is the super low cowl covering half the motor, making it impossible to reach anything in the back of the motor and removing the alternator for anything on the passenger side
you mentioned about shaving some of the lower air box. do you have a ss hood. or a stock one
Old 05-27-2003, 05:27 AM

You will only have to shave the airbox if you put on the 98-up style airbox. If you keep your old one...you won't have to worry with it. I put on the SS hood and still had to shave some off that new airbox to get it to fit right...I'm sure with a stock hood, it'd be the same way as the SS hood has a little more clearance.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by iamsparc
You will only have to shave the airbox if you put on the 98-up style airbox. If you keep your old one...you won't have to worry with it. I put on the SS hood and still had to shave some off that new airbox to get it to fit right...I'm sure with a stock hood, it'd be the same way as the SS hood has a little more clearance.
yes i have a oem ss hood how much do you think ill have to shave off, and do you have any pictures by chance, what year was your z?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:32 AM

Here's a pic

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64370744DbFuvL

You don't have to shave too much. The middle plastic support on the lower airbox, and the matching piece in the Filter holder need to be chopped off. After that its a matter of placing it, and grinding it as needed. Whistler ground mine with a power grinder initially, and I used a dremel and files to finish it. USE A POWER GRINDER!! Takes forever the other way.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:55 AM

Originally posted by MadKilla
Here's a pic

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64370744DbFuvL

You don't have to shave too much. The middle plastic support on the lower airbox, and the matching piece in the Filter holder need to be chopped off. After that its a matter of placing it, and grinding it as needed. Whistler ground mine with a power grinder initially, and I used a dremel and files to finish it. USE A POWER GRINDER!! Takes forever the other way.
ok thanks ill keep that in mind, i thought it would fit without having to shave, ill just have to see how it fits when im redy to install it, maybe i might luck out, i have another question, on the bellow, my car has that blue tipped vacuum line that goes in the bellow, is that to vent the opti? and would that be a big beal if i lefted that just hang there with my new bellow?
Old 05-27-2003, 11:11 AM

I don't know mine is a 94 and doesn't have a vented Opti.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:42 AM

Mine is a 96Z. I didn't have to shave a whole lot...just like a 1/4 inch off one section all across the bottom. Yeah...it was KINDA a pain...but it took me all of 15 minutes...so big whoop. I just used my dremel with sanding attachment. Doesn't have to look pretty...it's going underneath everything...so who gives. That blue elbow you're talking about...I don't know what it's for...but I wanted to attach it back similiarly to how it was with the LT1 venting, but with the LS1 style airbox. Madkilla suggested that I get the LT1 corvette intake duct that joins the MAF sensor to the throtte body. It worked like a charm. Here's the pics. link

-Mike
Old 05-27-2003, 11:49 AM

Mine is a 96Z. I didn't have to shave a whole lot...just like a 1/4 inch off one section all across the bottom. Yeah...it was KINDA a pain...but it took me all of 15 minutes...so big whoop. I just used my dremel with sanding attachment. Doesn't have to look pretty...it's going underneath everything...so who gives. That blue elbow you're talking about...I don't know what it's for...but I wanted to attach it back similiarly to how it was with the LT1 venting, but with the LS1 style airbox. Madkilla suggested that I get the LT1 corvette intake duct that joins the MAF sensor to the throtte body. It worked like a charm. Here's the pics. link

-Mike
the airbox that i got has the iat sensor bulit in it already, so that wouldnt work for me, i was thinking of going to home depo and getting a 3in by 3in bellow they sell, thats why i was asking about that blue tipped vacuum line
Old 05-27-2003, 12:35 PM

Madkilla suggested that I get the LT1 corvette intake duct that joins the MAF sensor to the throtte body. It worked like a charm. Here's the pics. link

-Mike
You know, I just noticed your intake duct is different than mine. Now I understand why you didn't have to cut the IAT sensor. My duct has no provision for the IAT built into it, mine had to run to the airbox. Now I'm questioning if I got the right part number, its definately older, I have had it since 96. Maybe we specified different years, what year Vette did you order it from, I'll keep it in mind when people ask me because your intake works much better.
Old 05-28-2003, 04:23 PM

hey madkilla did you have to change the hood hinges on your stock car, to make the new ss hood fit, if you did its just the hinges right not the whole arm
Old 05-28-2003, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by chasmanz28
hey madkilla did you have to change the hood hinges on your stock car, to make the new ss hood fit, if you did its just the hinges right not the whole arm
can anyone else who has done the conversion tell me if you have to change the hood hinges, i tried to put the new ss hood on and it doesnt line up, what do i need to change?
Old 05-29-2003, 01:19 AM

I had to buy whole new rear hinges. It aggrevated me because after all the little things that went wrong, and the little parts I had to get, when I put the hood on and thought I was finally finished, it sat an inch too high. Its funny because the hinges look identical, you can't really see a difference between them side by side, but the hood sits lower. I got them dirt cheap at GMpartsdirect.com. I'll dig up the part numbers edit: I believe these are them, dirt cheap, took 3 days to reach me.

PART NO. 10283847
DESCRIPTION RIGHT HINGE
PRICE $11.83

PART NO. 10283848
DESCRIPTION LEFT HINGE
PRICE $11.83

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To those who have upgraded to a LS1 frontend...