Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

T-Tops

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 04:09 PM

T-Tops

So whats the deal with the T-Top conversions? I have a hardtop and i really wanted to get a T-Top but the time and price was just right for my current car. I have seen alot of people do this conversion and they all say that they just used web sites to help them. I was wondering if these people had any previous body experience and why dont body shops do these for people if they are as easy as they say that they are? Anyways, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:18 PM

I guys that lives near me did it. He is on the board. Check my thread in the Events and Cruise spots section. His screenname is JetLag. Send him a private message. I'm sure he could help. Tell him that Jeff sent you.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:32 PM

The main reason why shops don't want to do this conversion is because

1.) You cut the frame.
2.) If the frame is cut wrong (Too short) the car will leak badly.

So shops usually don't want to be responsible for screw ups. If you are hardcore on having a shop do it, find one where one of the people there has an F-Body w/ T's. Then take up the conversion kit and some cash and be like "You can just use that one over there as a template and I'll give you $xxx.xx amount to do it." More than likely they will take the job. I'm just going to go find a wrecked 93-95 and buy it for cheap and just chop and experiment on it. I'm thinking about making an installation video as well.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by TechCam97
The main reason why shops don't want to do this conversion is because

1.) You cut the frame.
2.) If the frame is cut wrong (Too short) the car will leak badly.

So shops usually don't want to be responsible for screw ups. If you are hardcore on having a shop do it, find one where one of the people there has an F-Body w/ T's. Then take up the conversion kit and some cash and be like "You can just use that one over there as a template and I'll give you $xxx.xx amount to do it." More than likely they will take the job. I'm just going to go find a wrecked 93-95 and buy it for cheap and just chop and experiment on it. I'm thinking about making an installation video as well.
I think the term you are wanting to use is 'cage,' not 'frame.'

And also, since he has a 97 (4th gen), t-top conversion is a lot more simple than a 3rd gen conversion, because the bracing for the t-tops is already built in. A shop (or person) just has to make the cuts, buy the weatherstripping, headliner, tops, etc and they are ready to go.

Not a simple process by any means, but it won't really weaken the structural integrity because like I said, it was made a t-top car to begin with.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:24 PM

I agree totally with what you are saying and I think it's dumb that shops won't do it. Just mentioning why most places don't want to try it. I understand as well as you do how easy it would be for a shop to do the conversion, but most places have their heads up their a$$es and give us the runaround.
Old 05-27-2003, 07:57 PM

how much do you think it would cost if you could find a person or shop to do this for you. i really wish my car had t tops but i had to opt for the six speed over the tops since i couldn't find any cars that were nice with both.
Old 05-27-2003, 09:03 PM

If I were you I'd look for a body guy that does work on that side at home. That would be your best bet to find someone even willing to do this. Then print out an install guide and talk with him about it. You probaly should be expecting to pay atleast $500 + the cost of all the parts. Look in the for sale section theres usually a complete kit for sale in there. This conversion is actually not hard to do at all. A friend and I over the fall/winter did this to his clip that he had to buy to fix his camaro and got it to look pretty good (considering there wasn't anything from the door-jams forward). We are eventually planning on doing this to his car once he gets the rear put back together.

Btw to anyone around the Indiana area, If you can't find a body guy to do this (and don't care if you have to drive a bit), I'd be willing to work something out on getting it done, I need some summer work. Later
Old 05-27-2003, 09:17 PM

i had absolutely 0 body/fabricating experience. i did it in a day and a half.

i got the t-top kit from ebay for $142.50, the weatherstripping was another $50, and the bondo, black gasket sealant, paint, etc. was another $30, and a headliner is about $100.

i have no leaks and it's like driving a different car.

the tools i used were an air cutter, air grinder, dremel, reciprocating saw, and sandpaper.

http://community.webshots.com/user/domesticviolencex
Old 05-27-2003, 10:14 PM

i had no experience and it was one of the best things i ever did. not only do i feel like i have a diffrent car but it reaises the value too.

I was quoted by a custom car shop at $3200. he wouldnt garuntee his work either.

just research, go slow trust me thoese pictures will make alot more sense when your actually working on your car.

so far i have had no leaks, rattles, structrual problems of any kind...but i have had lots of complements

BTW check out speedautomotive.com they will set you up with everything you need to do this at a good price
Old 05-28-2003, 04:38 PM

Thanks alot for all of the input. I am seriously contemplating doing this myself in the summer. Thanks for all the pics and website help.
Old 05-29-2003, 12:18 AM

best dam mod yet!
it is great!
Old 05-29-2003, 09:28 PM

Incredibly easy compared to what it seems. I got some pics in my sig as well. I had 0 bodywork experience before this and it turned out awesome.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:46 PM

Besides putting some bono on my 87 bonneville, i had no body experiance. I would say go for it, jus take your time. ALso, get some subframe connectors, your car will feel a little looser when your done. Pics in sig
Old 05-30-2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by DomesticViolence
i had absolutely 0 body/fabricating experience. i did it in a day and a half.

i got the t-top kit from ebay for $142.50, the weatherstripping was another $50, and the bondo, black gasket sealant, paint, etc. was another $30, and a headliner is about $100.

i have no leaks and it's like driving a different car.

the tools i used were an air cutter, air grinder, dremel, reciprocating saw, and sandpaper.

http://community.webshots.com/user/domesticviolencex
It looks like you did a great job. I never knew the Tees were just sitting there under the hardtop ready to be punched out but I guess it makes sense from a manufacturing perspective. It's funny, I hardly ever remove my T-tops but I think the cars look better with them.