Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Stripped rims...Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 01:57 PM
Banned

Unhappy Stripped rims...Need help

I stripped the clearcoat off my aluminum rims and am not sure what to do to protect them....Should I clear coat them or throw them out and get new ones cause I feel like the salt is going to kill them in the winter. Any advice please let me know!!
Thanks!
Chris
Old 04-08-2004, 02:06 PM

Well - first thing - just so you know...
We now have a Wheel and Tire forum...
Second of all - the biggest topic in that forum right now (its still new) is this one.

Thirdly - you should be alright. The aluminum will be fine as long as you keep it clean. There are wheel companies that make aluminum wheels that don't use any protective coating on them at all. Most billet wheels are this way too. Just keep then shined up and you have no worries.

Welcome to the board

Edit: BTW - dunno why you posted this twice - but you can delete the other one if you want too - just to keep all your responses in one post.

And just for your comfort - we intentionally stripped the clear coat off of my buddies WS6 wheels - just so that we could get them to shine again - the clear coat had dulled on them.

What I would say your next move should be is to make sure ALL the clear coat is gone - seems that your brake cleaner is doing the trick for you. That way they look the same all over - and you can keep the whole wheel polished and looking good.

And another note - If you want your wheels to stay polished without doing any work - you can try one of the various products from Eastwood Company - or a local paint and body shop can clear coat them for you with some stuff especially for wheels.

Last edited by 94BlackBowtie; 04-08-2004 at 02:13 PM.