Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

rust on a 4th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:13 PM

rust on a 4th gen?

is it possible for the rear 1/4's to rust on a 4th gen? Reason i ask, is ive seen one that has paint "bubbles" which sorta look like rust to me, but then ive seen one that was hit in the rear 1/4 and it all looked like a plasticy-substance to me.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:26 PM

I have seen the rear 1/4 rust on cars from up north. Mine has a nickle sized hole on the passenger rear hatch rail, only rust spot on the entire car. Dont know how it happened, was like it when I got it, kinda weird actually. But to answer your question, fourth gens can rust any where you have metal. If you ever look on e-bay, you can see some with the back 1/4s rotting.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:08 AM

i have seen rusted out rear quarters on 4th gens. they usually rust above the tire, and at the bottom of the quarter panel between the tire and the door.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:02 AM

The only rust on mine was on a weld inside the groove that the hatch covers, but I sanded it off and put touchup paint on it. Other than that, I haven't detected any rust. I do have one spot where gasoline got on the paint and caused a bubble, it's below the gas door of course. Perhaps gasoline caused the bubbles you saw. Rust tends to look a bit more like cellulite than bubbles (as far as I know).

And oh, the folded over edge of my hood (on the Z28) has rust as well as a small area where a bolt holds the radiatior cover on. Those places can and WILL definitely grow rust.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
The only rust on mine was on a weld inside the groove that the hatch covers, but I sanded it off and put touchup paint on it. Other than that, I haven't detected any rust. I do have one spot where gasoline got on the paint and caused a bubble, it's below the gas door of course. Perhaps gasoline caused the bubbles you saw. Rust tends to look a bit more like cellulite than bubbles (as far as I know).

And oh, the folded over edge of my hood (on the Z28) has rust as well as a small area where a bolt holds the radiatior cover on. Those places can and WILL definitely grow rust.
thats where it was - right by the gas door, i figured it was just a gas bubble since the car has always been garage kept, and only drove in the snow once and was washed immediately after.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Yeah, that's good, and I'm not surprised. Our 4th gens don't really seem to be rust prone (yet--knock on wood).

You may want to check the folded over area on the tip of your hood next time you have it up though. Mine has grown enough rust that it is not something I know how to deal with anymore. At first, I tried my Grandpa's advice of using WD-40 or petroleum jelly on it, but it didn't prevent growth in the long run. I guess I should have just painted over it.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Brangeta
Yeah, that's good, and I'm not surprised. Our 4th gens don't really seem to be rust prone (yet--knock on wood).

You may want to check the folded over area on the tip of your hood next time you have it up though. Mine has grown enough rust that it is not something I know how to deal with anymore. At first, I tried my Grandpa's advice of using WD-40 or petroleum jelly on it, but it didn't prevent growth in the long run. I guess I should have just painted over it.
yeah, everything on the car is fine, i even have some rock chips that are chipped really good, but no rust anywhere on the car. I figured it was justa gas-bubble, and not rust, and after kinda poking at it, it doesnt really feel like rust
Old 07-19-2007, 02:08 PM

My car has some rust on a folded over patch of metal where the floorboards are, but it used to be an NJ car. I need to do something about it, just haven't had time.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:58 AM

i just brought my car back from AZ, it was in hawaii, north carolina and florida before that... no rust

i think im gonna continue the habit of the lack of winters by not driving it in the snow/slush up here... ive lost cars due to rust before (where the rust would cost more than the car's worth to fix) and i dont want that happening with this one...