Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

polished and buffed my intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM

polished and buffed my intake

i've never done this before, and it came out OK..... i could have done better if i had had more time and better tools. but it still looks ok. matches my valve covers at least i should have went over it again by hand after the grinding rolls...

before..

after... but before clearcoating it (looks a lot better with the clear on it)

most of the "bumpier" areas will be covered but the vette covers, so i'm not too concerned. the motor will be coming out someday for the bling treatment, so i'll fix it then

what do ya think?
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 PM

Re: polished and buffed my intake

Dude, what kind of tools did you use? I plan on doing this to my intake as well but am fairly uneducated on polishing aluminum.

Looks awesome though.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by scrmnws6
Dude, what kind of tools did you use? I plan on doing this to my intake as well but am fairly uneducated on polishing aluminum.

Looks awesome though.
thanks, but when you do it set aside a few days to do it, it takes a while to get right. i used a 90* die grinder, sctoch-loc pads, sanding pads, a straight die grinder with various abrasive rolls and cones, treated and untreated spiral sewn buff pads, tripoli and coloring compounds from www.eastwood.com

BTW, they have a manifold kit that has everything needed on sale for like 45.00 . it has more than enough rolls in there. mine came with the wrong grits tho.... still, well worth the money
Old 04-03-2006, 06:36 PM

Cool! Man this is too weird, because I'm actually doing mine too right now as we speak. I dunno how much you sanded yours down before you started buffing, but one thing I have to say about mine that really pisses me off is the **** poor quality of the casting. Porosity out the yin-yang. It's got pinholes ALL over it. (You can't really see them when you look at it from 3 feet away, but still, for the amount of work that it takes to get one of these intakes to bling, it's just sad to have to put up with that.) Yours came out really nice. You should leave the FRC's off! Wayyyyy too much work to just turn around and cover up 75% of it again. I'll bounce some appearance variation ideas off you in a little while after I've got mine done.

Looks good man, nice work.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Cool! Man this is too weird, because I'm actually doing mine too right now as we speak. I dunno how much you sanded yours down before you started buffing, but one thing I have to say about mine that really pisses me off is the **** poor quality of the casting. Porosity out the yin-yang. It's got pinholes ALL over it. (You can't really see them when you look at it from 3 feet away, but still, for the amount of work that it takes to get one of these intakes to bling, it's just sad to have to put up with that.) Yours came out really nice. You should leave the FRC's off! Wayyyyy too much work to just turn around and cover up 75% of it again. I'll bounce some appearance variation ideas off you in a little while after I've got mine done.

Looks good man, nice work.
i wish i could, but besides the injector wires, i have water pump relays, autometer guage lines, vac lines, msd lines and a bunch of other crap hiding uner them when i have the time and money to fix it, i will get all that stuff neatened up.. i have to have her on the road again tonight

OH... and take your time on the ribs and throttle body sections too, as well as the sides.. they show up the most as you can tell from my pics if you are using a big buffer motor with a sisal buff or trizact (sp?) belt, then you will have much better results. that was done with a little die grinder

you are right about the casting, they are junk. they only reason i didn;t go aftermarket was because this one was ported and milled for me already when i got the motor.

Last edited by djlunchbox; 04-03-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:37 PM

It turned out good.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM

I'll just post what I said out loud to myself...

Wow.

Old 04-04-2006, 09:04 PM

Looks good...
Old 05-05-2006, 04:36 PM

I new to this polishing, and have a lot of time on my hands this weekend, would I be able to purchase all the sanding stuff at a home depot or kragen auto parts store?
Old 05-05-2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by CHELOZ28
I new to this polishing, and have a lot of time on my hands this weekend, would I be able to purchase all the sanding stuff at a home depot or kragen auto parts store?
ummmm... no . i don;t think so. maybe an autobody supply house and napa, but that's it other than mail order.

i think you can still get it all for under 50.00 at www.eastwood.com

take your time , go slow, and it will look 10 times better than mine. i did this every night for a week from 8-12pm after work, and i was dead tired
Old 05-05-2006, 10:48 PM

sweet thanks man, yeah I have a lot of time on my hands especially since my car has not move from my driveway in the last 2 months, well thats a lie....did a couple of burnouts in front of my house....I miss the feeling of driving it. Im just waiting on my sunoco hood to be ready.