Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Painting my 87' Iroc

Old 09-20-2002, 04:30 PM

Defective factory paintjobs on 3rd gens

I recently bought an 87' Iroc with 73k miles on it. The paint is coming off (clear coat is all there) but the paint is peeling off on T that supports my ttops, my hatchback, and a few other random spots.

I read an article online saying that the paint done on 85-93 camaros had a defect that made the paint peel. This car is in immaculate condition...interior is as nice as my parents cars (and they have brand new cars) and the body is in near perfect condition (2 small dings on doors) but the paint is pretty bad. The sides of the car is fine...but the hood....roof, etc (anything that takes direct sunlight) is bad.

The paint is original, and I have the ORIGINAL copy of the title. I read that GM would repaint my car for free if it showed signs of paint defect which mine does.

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/GM-F-Car.htm - That is the article.

Has anyone done this? Would they repaint my iroc for free? While I don't really care that much....it would be nice if GM would paint my baby for free.

If anyone has done this or can offer me advice let me know.

Thnx in advance

Last edited by StealthElephant; 09-20-2002 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-26-2002, 10:57 PM

I dont believe they will repaint your car at this point in time. the problem was when they closed the Norwood ohio plant it a state of the art paint system called the turbo bell 2. It worked great in ohio. When Norwood closed they moved the new paint system to the van nuys plant out side of los angeles. CA did not allow oil based paint for with the the turbo bell was designed for. In response the cars that came out of the van nuys plant had paint that would fade peel chip and crack in short periods of time. GM will most likely not honor that today.