Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Opinions needed on side exhaust setup

Old 01-01-2003, 11:39 AM

Opinions needed on side exhaust setup

Contemplating on having the exhaust exit through my ground effects piece on the sides. Anyone got pics of this or any suggestions to keep the exhaust tip from burning the ground effects?

And if down what GroundFX piece can I put on the rear to hide the back? I have a Nice Borla FULL catback exhaust and I would never get rid of it, but I would with I believe is the most talented exhaust man and he just got a new pipe bender! And it's free witht he cost of piping.

Any ideas comments are appreciated, thanks CZ28!
Old 01-01-2003, 02:16 PM

yea, i think you are going to run into some major melting/skorching issues if you run the ehaust exit out of the side, also if you find a way to stop the melting you are going to have to have the tips stick WAY out the side otherwise your car is going to have a big grey cloud on the side of it
Old 01-01-2003, 02:30 PM
GP Moderator

The Mustang guys do it a lot, see what they use. The Rousch Mustangs have a pretty clean side-exhaust setup. Of course, you'll almost HAVE to do true duals to do this right.

Now, here is an idea you may not have pondered, and my consider it if you have a REALLY GOOD exhaust guy, and is my "dream" setup.

True 3" duals out the back AND the sides. The sides are for the electric cutouts; meaning that the exhaust will only go through them when the cutouts are open. Otherwise, they will just go out the back. This way, all 4 exhaust outlets are functional, and looks good both at the side and the rear. This IS a doable idea you may want to consider.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:54 PM

Very Good idea... hmmm.... My exhaust guy is good, worked at a Midas for about 7 years. Whenever I ask him if he can do it, he asks me If I was insulting him
Thanks, any more ideas from anyone else?
Old 01-01-2003, 04:38 PM

If you want just side exhaust get Hooker LT headers, 2 Bullet mufflers and some tips you like. Have the driver side pipe that comes off the header cross over to the passenger side, put your H-Pipe there and then your two bullet mufflers (all of this will tuck right up into the tranny tunnel if you are using 2 1/2" pipe), then have it shoot out each side. Mine is like this now but I have Twister mufflers that sound like crap. Sorry, no pics. If you are running the two pipes over the axle the biggest you can go is 2 1/2" as well. I recommend what Joe said but use 2 1/2" exhaust, an h-pipe, electric cut outs for sure, and chambered mufflers in the back with your stock Borla tips in the back and something like "Eleanor" (Gone in 60) had on the sides. I was going to do this exact setup but said screw it and am getting a Mufflex.
Old 01-01-2003, 07:02 PM

I have seen it done a few times.
It looks okay if you don't use gaudy tips.
The problem is clearance. The best mod you can do to our cars is SFCs. You can't have side exhaust with SFCs unless you make serious compromises with both mods, and clearance is still an issue.
The car I saw with SFCs and side exhaust, the guy had to cut 3 sides out of his SFCs just to get minimal ground clearance. He did some extra welding around the trimmed area, but I doubt it did any good. Just a waste of SFCs IMO.
Another opinion, I like side exhaust and have done it on other model cars, but SFCs are just too important on our cars to sacrifice for a cosmetic mod.
As for sound and looks though, side exit is cool.
I guess it just depends on your prioritys.
Good luck
Dave
Old 01-01-2003, 10:28 PM

Mecham tips might work, check them out.
Old 01-02-2003, 06:22 AM

Where's a pic @?
Old 01-02-2003, 07:09 AM

e-mail me for a pic of a LS1 with side exit...not through ground effects though.

I say it could be done pretty easily. To solve the melting problem, just put some flashing around the edges of the cutout you put in the ground effects and fasten it to the back...(bend the flashing in an L shape - then bend it to fit the hole) - then paint it with some high temp gloss back enamel (since your car is black...) The advantage here is two things -
1. The enamel will block the heat
2. The aluminum flashing will dissipate what heat does get through.

Just a thought, but like Joe said, see what the Mustang guys do...
Old 01-02-2003, 10:56 AM

Well....

in responce to an earlier statement about SFCs and side exhause exit...

from all the measurements that I took, it's do-able... but I was measuring with Tubular SFCs, not boxed ones. It's tight, that's for sure, but it should fit. I'll be making it work in about 2 months... there's room for 2.5" pipe, but 3" just takes up too much ground clearance.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:33 PM

Oh did I mention I dropped my Car 2 inches? Is it totally out of the question now??? I'm going to make this work....
Old 01-02-2003, 04:28 PM

Update the Z28 sitting on 19 inch Z06 wheels and with a side exit exhaust! It's in the "Camaro Parts 4 Sale" Link below...