Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Issues with lowering springs on just the front?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM

Issues with lowering springs on just the front?

This is something that's been bugging me for a while with my car. The rear already sits low enough due to my subs, amps, battery, etc. all sitting in the trunk and with the top down all the weight from that sits right over the rear wheels. I've also done some weight reduction out of the engine compartment so the nose is higher than the rear (looks like she's stuck up with her nose in the air). I was thinking of getting some lowering springs 1-2" for JUST the front to get the stance more even. Anyone ever see any issues with dropping just the nose (steering issues, mechanical problems. etc?)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:09 PM

Re: Issues with lowering springs on just the front?

I'd imagine the handling of the car if putting it on a race track would be affected kind of awkwardly, but if you just drive it on the street I'd assume it to be fine.

I'm kind of thinking that if you took a turn real hard the rear might bounce about and skip around more if the front is stiffened up with lowering springs and the rear is left alone.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:05 PM

Ok, how about this... We've all heard horror stories about safety issues and whatnot about cutting the springs to drop the car. Yet, I found a guy on LS1tech selling a set of cut stock springs said they worked just fine. Is there really an issue with cutting the springs or is that just an urban car legend?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:38 PM

I purchased my car with Eibach Sportlines on the front and the stock SLP Bilstein Level II springs on the rear. The rear Sportlines were removed due to a cutout scraping to much on the rear.

It seemed to handle alright and I got a ton of compliments on the stance. I swapped the suspension out for a factory replacement Bilstein Level II (shocks and springs) so my car handles like it would have when it came off the showroom floor in 1997.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM

i had both frnt & bck lowered but I just couldn't take the bumps of the rear end anymore, it seemed everytime I hit a big bump in the road the rear would bottom out and make a big noise, so I had the stock springs put back on the rear and I still have the front lowered about 1.4". it's alot better than before and it still looks good, like you it was the gaps in front that bothered me, I would reccomened this set-up, the front slams around now too bu not as much as the rear andt it's not as noisey. and yeah the car sits kind of funny but it's still better, the roads are starting to get so bad here that I will probably end up having the stock fronts put back on too.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:39 PM

So no one has any insite on the cutting the stock springs issues?
Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 PM

As far as that goes, I wouldn't do it. I read an article about it and can't remember anything but it saying that it would cause tire wear issues. Probably other negatives too. I bet if there's say 8 coils, if you cut off 1, you're missing 1/8th the spring action blah blah blah.