Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

I'm starting to paint my Interior and NEED TO KNOW if Primer is a MUST? 911911

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 11:48 AM

If you use a plastic adhering compound like bond aid you dont have to use primer. I would recommend using this if you were priming or not so the finish will not peel or flake off down the road if you are going with paint. I have used it and had success keeping the textured look. I used a vinyl paint and no clear . It was very durable and I didnt want that glossy finish of a clear. What I would recommend is VHT's dye if going for that stock textured look. You just wash the surface with soap and water then go over it with some 3M grease,oil and wax remover and spray it on like you would paint. It actually dyes the piaces to that color so no chipping or scratching. You can armor all it like you normally do .
Hope this helps
Old 11-09-2002, 11:55 AM

Just a thought . There was a guy on the board who used the dye on his seats. It says you can use it on leather but he used it on cloth seats. Gave it a two-tone effect and has not had any problems with color rub or anything . It looks really good too. I'm going to exeriment with mine and see how it turns out.
Chad
Old 11-09-2002, 01:23 PM

Well I finished them up. I ended up doing like 6 coats of paint and then 4 coats of clear...they look pretty good. I also tried pretty hard to scratch some off, and nothing happened so....
And I know your all gonna say "yeah...they'll start chipping soon"....
I DON'T CARE!!!! I will paint them again when they do
But as of now my **** is looking TIGHT!!!

thanks for the replies!!!!
Old 11-09-2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by sfGi8nt
Well I finished them up...

...now my **** is looking TIGHT!!!

thanks for the replies!!!!
Post some pics when you can.
Old 11-10-2002, 10:27 PM

Nope you dont need to prime it. If you do you will lose the textured look. I just did the same thing for my 86 Z28. I cleaned the parts (after pulling them out) wash them good, de-greased them ( a must!!!), then sprayed a light 1st coat, let it dry then hit it again . Then after that dried I put the clear coat on. Came out so good I have people waiting for me to do theirs. Plus it still has the textured look. I went from tan to gray, 2 coats then clear coat. DONT SAND IT!!!