Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How much would it cost for an entire paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 09:44 AM

Question How much would it cost for an entire paint job?

How much would it cost to paint an entire F-body (metallic green)? Whit if I did all the R&I work (remove and install, bumper covers, molding, locks, emblems…)?

Thanks,
Jason R.
Old 12-06-2002, 10:46 AM

It will vary slightly from region to region. I have a 93 that has been garaged since new, with the exception of this year so the body and paint are still in very good condition. There are two shops here that I would trust to do a job worthy of me not bitchin' afterwards. Both shops were in the area of $5500. That included the jambs and NO extra body work or repairs while keeping the same color. That did NOT include under the hood unless I took it there completely gutted under the hood. That was another fairly large amount, $800 off the top of my head. The only way I'll have the motor out AND have a paint job at the same time is when Ed McMann knocks on my door.
So to give to give you a rough idea you're looking at $4500-$5500 for a good paint job but not a show quality paint job. You could always go to a cheaper shop but then you run the BIG risk of getting what you pay for.
Another option is to look for a trade school type of a shop where they will do the work very cheap but I've seen mixed results locally so I won't do it. Then again I care more for my car than my wife so take it for what it's worth.
I'm sure that there are people here that can give you a better answer because my experience with this is very limited.

Good luck!

1 more thing - Don't do anything unless you have it in writing. I've found that a lot, NOT all, but a lot are the slickest liars around. Ask for pictures and references that you can contact personally. Get a written warranty for the work, estimated costs, additional costs if needed before hand(additional repairs mainly). I may sound like an **** retentive SOB but your better to be a stickler for the details than get screwed concerning a $5000 service. Anyone can TELL you that they are the best but the best will be able to prove it to you and put EVERY little detail on paper, not just hot air! If the shop has a problem with ANY of your requests then I would STRONGLY suggest you turn and RUN!!!!

Last edited by Mr.Whitey; 12-06-2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2002, 02:25 PM

I dont know, but a $5000 paintjob sounds like it should be show quality... I think the most expensive paint shops around here are in the $2500-$3500 range, and thats show quality.. and a factory paintjob would be around $1500-$2500.. but I guess it depends on the region you live in.
Old 12-06-2002, 05:12 PM

i thought it was more like 2 grand for a good one?
Old 12-06-2002, 05:32 PM

Dude you better hope your wife never reads that Mine may believe that but you'll never catch me admitting to it
Old 12-06-2002, 06:09 PM

Like she's bright enough to read....

I'm waiting to be able to start a new post entitled " The B ran off, off a cliff!" But much like Ed McMann knocking on my door from Publisher's Clearing House, IT WILL NEVER EVER EVER NEVER happen, . Thank GOD that she left for the weekend to go to my parents house at the shore. I get to Zaino the car inside ALL weekend in boxers and holding a beer!!

Now, about the paint job. I will tell you what I am calling a "good" paint job. I've seen repaints, not many but enough, that I would consider justifiable homicide. I want it to look the day it did when GM electrostatically(or whatever the correct term may be) painted it but with a better quality of paint. I want no clear lines visible whether it be in the jambs or the edge of hood or hatch, where ever. I want the clear lines to extend under the area that panels, interior or exterior, are attached. In other words I want removing of parts to be the only way to ever seen the slightest clear foam line. Before the paint I would want everything stripped of old paint not just a paint over like the blind idiots at a Maaco or the like. Why paint over a stone chip to leave a colored dimple? In addition I would want the paint to be flawless. NOT even the smallest imperfection in the paint. As far as quality of paint, I would want the best possible product available, aside from some ungodly exotic custom paint.
What I would consider a "custom" job would be using the above mentioned exotic paints, pearls, a LOT of attention to detail with the clear applications and other things that I don't even know about. Not to mention the ghost flames and all of that kind of stuff.
The two shops that I mentioned are the ONLY two that didn't have BBB complaints, Atty. General complaints, etc.. in addition to talking to people that had work done there that WERE NOT on a reference list that the body shop kept for perspective customers. I literally OVER researched about 7 shops within a 30 mile radius that I would have thought to have done quality work. These are the only two that stood out as being the best that I was aware of in the area.
If anyone has a shop that will do a paint job to meet my **** retentive needs for under $3500 I WILL TRAVEL! Not to Texas but within a few hundred miles of PA anyway.
Am I the only one that has been quoted this large of an amount? I will post the names and phone numbers of the two places if I am the only one.
TIME FOR ZAINO, I'll soon be calling once again Kevin!
Old 12-06-2002, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by ReznorZ28
I dont know, but a $5000 paintjob sounds like it should be show quality... I think the most expensive paint shops around here are in the $2500-$3500 range, and thats show quality.. and a factory paintjob would be around $1500-$2500.. but I guess it depends on the region you live in.

That is what I was thinking! If it is a color change then the price would go up but if it was the same basic color then I was thinking between 2 & 3 grand! One of these days I'll find out whether I'm in fantasy land or not!
Old 12-07-2002, 03:38 AM

figure on an easy 1,000 added to color change and do it right.....

the average real show job will go for 7,500+ obviously there are slight advantages to doing some of the work yourself though.

on a price basis it would go something like this.

solid color 2,500

solid color with pearl +500 or more depending on job and combination

2 stage metallic figure 3,500

3 stage metallic figure 4,500

candy paint 5,000+

these are all of course with doing some of the work yourself and having a high grade quality paintjob. depends on what you want done like anything else.........it's all about the options.

i've seen good jobs from 3,500 up to 30,000 it's all in what you can afford or in some cases dumb enough to pay for.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:42 AM

In fact there were three shops that won't even do an entire paint job. All that they will do is insurance work, no complete paint jobs.
I was going to say this before but I figured it would seem even more strange to some. One of the two top shops was doing a street rod that was hit in the rear kind of lightly. He was doing the entire car over because he said it would be almost impossible to match it perfectly. He told me that the entire job was going to run just under 30k.

Kandies91z - so will you be the first to agree that the 45-5500 is not a made up or inflated price with me doing none of the work?
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone with everyone else saying a GOOD job, nothing real fancy, would run in the 2-3000 range.

One more thing, would the windshield have to be removed? Both of the two shops that I would allow to do the work said that the windshield would have to be removed and reinstalled after the painting. Does this sound right?
Old 12-07-2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by kandied91z
figure on an easy 1,000 added to color change and do it right.....

the average real show job will go for 7,500+ obviously there are slight advantages to doing some of the work yourself though.

on a price basis it would go something like this.

solid color 2,500

solid color with pearl +500 or more depending on job and combination

2 stage metallic figure 3,500

3 stage metallic figure 4,500

candy paint 5,000+
Thats the best prices I have heard so far. I have a uncle who does that and he showed me his prices a time or 2. It depends on where you live as far as city and town. But whatever you do unless you are selling it soon don't go for Maaco's $200 dollar deal. It will look okay...maybe a year.

True you get what you pay for but there is middle ground for guys not wanting to go all out on the color. If I was redoing mine for another color. I would figure anywhere for 1500-2500 for a good job.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:04 PM

Yeah this is really interesting because I've thought about doing the all out job. I actually just got my Camaro out yesterday after paying slightly over a thousand for getting my drivers side front quarter panel fixed and repaired (some girl, who I am sort of friends with accidentally backed into that. It got scratched and cracked inside of the well a little. That was about 500, and the cheapest estimate I found without getting a new panel), repairing and painting my passenger side rocker panel under the door because i had dented it in with a tail whip on a back road last winter in the rain because i drove up on a bank. And I also had new hinges put on my door. Here in NJ paint work isn't cheap. I asked about a whole paint job and he said they are around 3000, depends on what you get I guess.

I hope this is it for body work for atleast a little while. But this summer I have been considering putting a spoiler (probably a hi-rise wing) and a hood (SS or Ultra Z) on my 95. I'm unsure about how much it would cost. Anyone have any ideas on that? I was thinking about just asking them to paint the spoiler and hood and then install them myself. The spoiler shouldn't be difficult, but I bet the hood might be.

Also, another small thing you might expect...maybe I'm nitpicky. But my car was a little dust dirty when i got it. Especially along my panels on the inside where they must have been touching it. In the middle of changing my oil and air filter I decided to vacuum my car this morning.

Just be careful, you usually will get what you pay for. I truly hate body work though, it's so expensive. I really wish I took autobody this (my last) year in high school.

Mark
Old 12-07-2002, 12:08 PM

your not in the twilight zone...........

1500-2500 is a big difference; once you step into the 2,000 dollar mark that's when your getting realistic with the actual time and product that will be used. anyone doing something for 1500 is usually using inferior products or rushing things........you get what you pay for.

yeah you should remove the windshield for the best job; otherwise their putting tape in the seams and trying to spray in. for the best deals most simply put remove all the peices off the car yourself. leave the body work to the professionals. remove all solid glass like the windshield and a hatch as well as the hood, gfx, doors, and anything else you want painted right. i've seen cars painted without this done and trust me you don't want it.

most of all if you can't afford to spend at least 3,000 on a paint job then don't do it.........even if it doesn't cost that much; it will eventually, you'll see.
Old 12-08-2002, 01:54 AM

I dont know about paying 30k for a paint job(f**k that)unless
I was filthy rich. My freind got his new hood and ground fx
(front,2 sides and rear pieces) all for 500 dollars with that price you figure about 2500 for the whole car at the most. and I
think the guy did a hell of a job his car is teal and he matched it perfect.It all depends on what you call a good job obviously you want it to last for a while, as soon as you drive it you know those damn rocks are goona be flyin and ****in it up so why pay thousands extra to get a flawless job.dont get me wrong it would be nice but not for thousands more.just my .02
Old 12-08-2002, 03:24 AM

park your 2,500 dollar paint job next to someones 15,000 paint job. chances are the difference will be obvious.

it's all about the car and the person, i myself paid a certain amount because i've always loved a true candy color. others would agree that it might be high. the quotes from most custom shops wouldn't touch my color for less than 15,000.

any where i go i get complements on the car and i absolutely love it, but the best part is it's something that i myself am happy with and that's what makes it worth the extra money. not to mention my car has been painted for over 3 years now and it looks the same as the day i brought it home; minus a few chips obviously since i do put miles on her.

true 30,000 is out of the question on a car that sees some mileage........hell i think it's out of the question anytime; but to some it might not be. who are we to judge? but one things for sure 5,000 isn't out of the question if it means i won't have to repaint the car for quite some time if i take care of her.
Old 12-08-2002, 02:52 PM

I dont mean to dog on your paint job, because your car looks kick ***... I have one just like it... but you paid $15,000 for that paintjob?! Why? you said on your webpage "This color was intended to look as close to the original but have a custom feel, you can't notice it unless you look at it just right!"... for $15,000 I would want something that everyone would notice... I paid $1200 for the paintjob on my 86 Camaro IrocZ... I got it painted Lazer Red Tinted Clearcoat, color code E9... its the same color that is on the lazer red mustangs and it also changes its color/shades when you look at it from different angles. pics in the sig, and it still looks great.

Originally posted by kandied91z
park your 2,500 dollar paint job next to someones 15,000 paint job. chances are the difference will be obvious.

it's all about the car and the person, i myself paid a certain amount because i've always loved a true candy color. others would agree that it might be high. the quotes from most custom shops wouldn't touch my color for less than 15,000.

any where i go i get complements on the car and i absolutely love it, but the best part is it's something that i myself am happy with and that's what makes it worth the extra money. not to mention my car has been painted for over 3 years now and it looks the same as the day i brought it home; minus a few chips obviously since i do put miles on her.

true 30,000 is out of the question on a car that sees some mileage........hell i think it's out of the question anytime; but to some it might not be. who are we to judge? but one things for sure 5,000 isn't out of the question if it means i won't have to repaint the car for quite some time if i take care of her.

Quick Reply: How much would it cost for an entire paint job?