Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How low can you go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2002, 11:06 PM

How low can you go?

I am wondering how low the front of these cars can be lowered and by what means? Springs or dropped spindles? I am back-halving my car and with coil-over shocks I can pretty much put the rear where I want it. The front I now have blocked up with the K-member being 4" from the floor. Is this about where the K-member will be with some sort of lowering spring or dropped spindle? How high is the K-member in a stock car? I had it at 3", but seemed sort of low with my oil pan being only 3" inches off the ground. Basically right now the pan and the bottom of the K-member are the same from the ground. Is this pretty low relative to the K-member position.....looks low to me sitting like this! The rocker panel just in front of the rear wheel measures 5.5"
Any input?
Thanks in advance.
J.
Old 12-15-2002, 12:44 PM

Re: How low can you go?

Originally posted by Bracket Boy
I am wondering how low the front of these cars can be lowered and by what means? Springs or dropped spindles? I am back-halving my car and with coil-over shocks I can pretty much put the rear where I want it. The front I now have blocked up with the K-member being 4" from the floor. Is this about where the K-member will be with some sort of lowering spring or dropped spindle? How high is the K-member in a stock car? I had it at 3", but seemed sort of low with my oil pan being only 3" inches off the ground. Basically right now the pan and the bottom of the K-member are the same from the ground. Is this pretty low relative to the K-member position.....looks low to me sitting like this! The rocker panel just in front of the rear wheel measures 5.5"
Any input?
Thanks in advance.
J.
Well It would help to know the year of your car. It sounds like you have a 3rd gen ?
Old 12-15-2002, 08:28 PM

It is a 94 Camaro. Sorry!
J.
Old 12-15-2002, 08:52 PM

Are you concerned with keeping "launch" performance ?

If not you can lower it up to 3" with springs, and up to 4.5" with coilovers. Keep in mind that the stock camber adjustments can only compensate so much. Not enough for a 4" drop.

Airbags are another option, but alot of $$$$.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:18 PM

I guess what I need to know is if the bottom of my K-member 4" from the floor how much have I lowered the car from stock? I need the K-member height of a stock car with no mods to suspension or wheels and tires. Sounds like silly questions, but I sold the wheels and tires a year ago did not measure it before doing so. With a four-link rear suspension, a turbocharged engine and a relatively high crank centerline "launch performance" should not be a problem.
Sorry for not being clear.
J.