Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

How do i shoot flames out of my muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 03:35 PM

How do i shoot flames out of my muffler?

Everytime i watch Fast and furious (yea i know rice!)
When they're racing i love the flames i wanna know how to do that will do whatever it takews just bcause it's so freggin cool
Old 03-13-2003, 03:53 PM

I have seen some old hot rods that have rigged a spark pluf in the tip of the muffler and hooked it up to a switch. When the switch is hit, it sends a spark to the plug which ignites the unburnt fuel in the exhaust fumes. I dont know exactly how it works but thats the best I can expain it. As for the Fast and the Furious flames, I beleive that it is possible for turbo charged cars to shoot flames. I dont know for sure why though. Probably becasue they are running so rich.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:06 PM

They sell flamethrower kits, I'm just not sure where. Also, I think you have to have a gutted cat in order for enough unburnt fuel to get through.
Old 03-13-2003, 04:19 PM

http://www.gotflames.net/ they sell a kit.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:15 PM

This flame effect can also be produced from the incredible spark retard and fuel mixture changes resulting from using a high-end turbo lag controller, but I doubt that the directors knew / cared about that.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:46 PM

Or I'm sure for the movie, they used a propane system to get those ultra blue clean burning flames.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Banned

a easy way to do it is if u have nitrous run the purge to the exhaust and every time you purgu a huge flame will come out....

or run a sparkplug there and have a switch on it
Old 03-13-2003, 09:17 PM

you have to cut the spark to the motor so raw gas shoots down the exhust, and have a cap and plug hooked up the the exhaust tips. also you cant have a cat and running raw gas throught the motor will eventually destroy it because it disapates the oil causing friction problems (thats why its a show car thing)

i saw an episode of trucks! on Tnn, he used a kit w/ everything included
Old 03-13-2003, 09:20 PM

Get a kit.

On Supraforums.com, there is a member named Brad Mayo (that's his screenname) who has an MKIV Supra Turbo with a flamethrower on his muffler. I've seen videos of it, and it's pretty cool.

Go there and ask him about it.
Old 03-14-2003, 04:57 AM

-Nitrous in a non-flamable gas, adding spark to Nitrous alone will not ignite anything. Therefor how exactly would running a purge valve to your exhaust create a flame? Also I would not feel very safe adding fuel to a Nitrous purge valve in my exhaust system to create flames........I mean holy crap are you insane? Your asking to get blown up.

-Also, just adding a spark plug in the exhaust system will not work in todays cars. they are much too clean burning even without CATS. The old fuel guzzling overly rich carberated muscle cars of the 60's could achive this easliy as my dad has told be stories of his old GTO throwing flames out the back.

-The Kits seem to be the only way to SAFELY acheive this. However make sure you dont ruin your chrome exhaust tips and melt your rear bumber trying this. Oh did I meantion to NOT use it infront of the police?? IT IS ILLEAGAL
Old 03-14-2003, 05:05 AM
Banned

i beg to differ......my car shoots a flame or too out the exhaust.....it runs rich and with a spark plug im almost positive it will alwys do that....but get tip extensions or something cuz your bumper would shoot up in flames.....

but i think its possibly as a matter of fact there was a ta that had that done i think pics were either here or ls1.com or ls1tech.com
Old 03-14-2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
i beg to differ......my car shoots a flame or too out the exhaust.....it runs rich and with a spark plug im almost positive it will alwys do that....but get tip extensions or something cuz your bumper would shoot up in flames.....

but i think its possibly as a matter of fact there was a ta that had that done i think pics were either here or ls1.com or ls1tech.com
Not gunna happen
Old 03-14-2003, 07:15 AM

Originally posted by stik6shift98
i beg to differ......my car shoots a flame or too out the exhaust.....it runs rich ......
Old 03-14-2003, 11:53 AM

check this thread
http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...&postid=269012
Old 03-14-2003, 01:35 PM

If I shot flames out of my mufflers I would most likely catch my car on fire...if you shot flames out of your muffler (assuming you have stock exhaust) I would say you'd catch the gas tank on fire and go boom...shooting flames out the end exhaust pipe/tips, that's a different story

Now, for my real input, re-read TriPinTaZ's first post.

My way of thinking...Propane is the best way, regardless. You can control the flame by the amount of gas you feed it. Any other way (spark plug, whatever) you are just gonna get some fire...you can't even really consider it a good "flame."

Also, read Alex's thread (catsnet).

Quick Reply: How do i shoot flames out of my muffler?