Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

how do i put a shoft boot on an A4 with shift adapter?

Old 09-13-2002, 10:23 PM

Post how do i put a shoft boot on an A4 with shift adapter?

hav the shift adapter ordered and would like to put the shift boot on, how do i go about it...have wired many swithces to my ashtray so i know how to take console apart...also i heard u have to shorten the stick with the dmh adapter(which is the one i ordered) do i have to or can i jus get a **** that will fit low, i would like the height to be the same within .5 inches....also wut kind of shift boot do i need, can i jus buy one that comes in a kit at pepboys or do i need a momo or what?????? thanx guys

------------------
94 Z28,72k(auto/not red, but not purple)Mods!:

K and N FIPK
Flowmaster Muffler
Hotchkis Strut Tower Bar
Holley Airfoil
Hidden Shift Kit
Street Glow Pedals (red)
Sequential Turn Signals
Light Silver Badges
Kenwood CD deck w/ Remote
Massive 600 watt amp
2 12" Cerwin Vegas
Old 09-14-2002, 02:30 PM

TTT, I would like to know the answer to this also as I wanna do it to my 2000 Z.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:55 PM

Cool

OK,I put a boot on my stock A4 shifter but it should be the same for the longer on with an adapter.I had to cut off about 3 inches becuase it was too long for the stock shifter so it should be perfect for the longer stick that comes with the adapter.It's for a 97+ model but shouldn't be too much different for your car except for pulling the console out.Here goes:

-Pull the shift **** off by pulling out the little clip on the front.It's easier if you put the key in the ignition and turn it forward until right before it cranks.This will let you put the shifter in neutral and allow you to get at it.PULL UP THE E BRAKE!You don't want to roll!

-Pull the center console out.It's held in by 2 screws in the cubby hole.They're under the coin holder.

-Gently pull out the console until you can disconnect the wires going to the shifter light and the cigarette light.

-Flip over the console and take out the 4 bolts holding the shift plate on.

-Now take your shift boot and stick it through the hole that the shifter goes through.Re-install the console over the shifter by just sliding it through the hole in the boot.You need to put the shifter into every gear to make sure you have enough slack to allow the shifter to go into every gear.I used a trial and error process until I had the perfect length and I cut the extra off the bottom.Now,take the bottom part of the boot and fold it down over the little "ridge" that's around the inside of that opening.I used double-sided carpet tape and it seems to be holding fine.

-Now pull out the little plastic pieces that originally went around the shifter.All except for the last and smallest one.This last piece connects to the little orange indicator that tells you what gear you're in.

-Now just re-install the shift plate to the console.

-Now put the console back into place and re-install the plugs for the shifter light and cigarette lighter.Check again to make sure the shifter has free movement into every gear and then put the screws back in that hold the console down.

Here's a few pics of the finished project:

Good luck and I wish I had a better write-up for you.
Kevin

Edit: Can't seem to get the pic link thingy to work.You'll have to copy the stuff and paste it.Good luck.

------------------
1998 Black Z28 A4
-------1/8-------
8.548 @ 83.64 MPH
Pics
Camaro/Firebird Birthday Bash

[This message has been edited by nikkev (edited September 14, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by nikkev (edited September 14, 2002).]