Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

HELP: Problem with Body Shop painting STRIPES on my car after accident. BLEEDING???

Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 AM

HELP: Problem with Body Shop painting STRIPES on my car after accident. BLEEDING???

Hello,

I am seeking some help on a problem the PAINTER is having with my car. Recently my car was hit from behind and the bumper had to be repainted. My car is Medium Quasar Blue Metallic with Silver glossy racing stripes.

4 Years ago it was rear ended and was painted by my REGULAR body shop who had the car out of the shop with no problem in 3 days.

However due to needing 4 new tires, oil change, and repairs and the great convenience I dropped the car off at the local Chevrolet dealership.

They have had the car for 2 weeks and have painted the bumper 6 times and STILL can't get it painted right.

The problem they explain: WATERBASED PAINT, SOLVENT CLEARCOAT, and STRIPING = BAD BLEEDING

They explained that in the last 2 years the government here in British Columbia regulated a BAN of all solvent Paint and are required to paint in WATERBASED now. They explained that with waterbased paint remains tacky and when trying to paint stripes that the solvent based clearcoat melts the waterbased paint and causes the stripes to badly BLEED.

They have repainted it 6 TIMES in 2 weeks and they still are having SUCH A PROBLEM.

I complained (before there explanation) WHY it takes them 2 weeks to paint something that should take no more than 3 days and if they needed to get ADVICE from the other body shop to paint my bumper right????

That is when they explained the above and claim it's IMPOSSIBLE to paint stripes now with waterbased paint without bleed and is a REAL ISSUE now....

I am STUCK now because my insurance company will not pay for the repair if taken to the other body shop and it's up to the dealer to get it fixed...

What I want to know is.. IS THIS TRUE????? IS it true that no matter who paints the stripes with the waterbased paint that they will have this problems??? How does the manufacture paint them now then???
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM

I also have a quasar blue Z. And plan on painting it with black stripes using waterborne.
First I'll shoot the blue. leave the booth fans on.
Later that day shoot a mid coat clear.
Next day mask up the stripes and shoot them. Booth fans on.
Later that day I'll shoot the clear.
I've never sprayed a car using waterborne only solvent paints. So this will be my first.
From my experience with airbrushing using waterborne paint, I never had an issue with the paint bleeding. If i think bleeding will be an issue or a lot of masking is needed I''ll spray a midcoat clear. I always spray a solvent clear over the watetborne paint once finished. And dry time with proper equipment is key for waterborne.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2